• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I required to notify passenger of a dash cam?

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip>

Consent under federal law is required by only one party. FBI agents frequently record their sole consent prior to entering into and recording an undercover activity or clandestine meeting, but do not need nor seek the consent of the other party(s).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2511

I stand corrected ... subsection (d) of linked code ^^

(d) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person not acting under color of law to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception unless such communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or of any State.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Glad this appears to be settled.

On a footnote....
When I was an Army Field Recruiter, I had many, many telephone conversations with people who would hear what they wanted and not necessarily what I actually said. Army regulation said I could not use recordings of conversations. I recorded every gorram thing. ALL conversations were recorded. In Army courts, I could use a written transcript of the conversation only, as evidence. That is unless my word was rejected to "memory". At that time, the recording could be brought in to verify me and my recollection, and not being used as other evidence. Worked for me.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Glad this appears to be settled.

On a footnote....
When I was an Army Field Recruiter, I had many, many telephone conversations with people who would hear what they wanted and not necessarily what I actually said. Army regulation said I could not use recordings of conversations. I recorded every gorram thing. ALL conversations were recorded. In Army courts, I could use a written transcript of the conversation only, as evidence. That is unless my word was rejected to "memory". At that time, the recording could be brought in to verify me and my recollection, and not being used as other evidence. Worked for me.

What kind of cases did you participate in relating to your work as a recruiter ? Guy's complaining about the lack of steak being served at dinner (or steak and eggs at breakfast)? Hey, its the Army, not the Air Force !

JoeSparky

Centurion
What kind of cases did you participate in relating to your work as a recruiter ? Guy's complaining about the lack of steak being served at dinner (or steak and eggs at breakfast)? Hey, its the Army, not the Air Force !

Thread drift? or just off the doggone rails?

And it wasn't even funny!

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Thread drift? or just off the doggone rails?

And it wasn't even funny!

yes,,, thread drift... But

yes,,,, that was funny!!

I was only in the Navy,, worked on a sub tender,, we got all the food to replenish the subs,,, the best stuff!!!
We got the best of the best stuff they were supposed to be getting,, they still got lots of the best stuff..

davidmcbeth

Banned
yes,,, thread drift... But

yes,,,, that was funny!!

I was only in the Navy,, worked on a sub tender,, we got all the food to replenish the subs,,, the best stuff!!!
We got the best of the best stuff they were supposed to be getting,, they still got lots of the best stuff..

Sparky is on my ignore list so I did not see that.....

Poster made post that leads to an obvious follow-up question. The thread, as far as its original purpose, has ended in any event.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

What?! ONLY in the Navy?! That is the BEST service to be in! Never ever say that again!!! :banghead:

Its OK Bruce,, I see the misunderstanding...
I was in the Navy Only...
I have not been in the Army and the Navy nor
have I been in the Air Force and the Navy.
Lots of folks have been in more than 1 service, but not me...
If you serve in more than 1 service, you will have a basis for comparison.
I was only in the Navy,,,,
I dont have any basis for comparison.
I had a great time being a Sailor in San Diego and enjoyed my time there a lot!!

amlevin

Quote Originally Posted by decklin
This is a public business transaction. As such passengers (customers) have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

I'm not so sure that I agree.

Doesn't the presence of a "third party" negate any expectation of privacy. Does "Attorney/Client Privilege" still stand if the conversation is held in the presence of others???

Isn't that pretty much the same?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Doesn't the presence of a "third party" negate any expectation of privacy. Does "Attorney/Client Privilege" still stand if the conversation is held in the presence of others???

Isn't that pretty much the same?

I would think that if 2 folks are discussing something in front of another then privilege is gone. Really go to google scholar and start doing some searches.

What if you are a pro se litigant? Do you think attny privileges apply to a non-lawyer?

solus

let's put it into another context...

the taxi driver hears insider trading and acts on it, makes a $$$$ and then when the SEC investigates what appears to be a violation and discusses the issue with the financial principal(s) and discover they discussed the concept during a taxi ride...focused as they are on the business transaction missed the window stickers...

or, an Boeing VP is discussion a major bid they are about to put in and amazingly, another aerospace company under bids following Boeing's game plan...oh wait, the cabbie's son is a wheel at the other aerospace company who told his caregiver about why they were working long hours and worried about the bid's cost.

finally, driver records someone who claims they are "DB cooper " or they molested JonBenét Patricia Ramsey...

ipse

amlevin

let's put it into another context...

the taxi driver hears insider trading and acts on it, makes a $$$$ and then when the SEC investigates what appears to be a violation and discusses the issue with the financial principal(s) and discover they discussed the concept during a taxi ride...focused as they are on the business transaction missed the window stickers...

or, an Boeing VP is discussion a major bid they are about to put in and amazingly, another aerospace company under bids following Boeing's game plan...oh wait, the cabbie's son is a wheel at the other aerospace company who told his caregiver about why they were working long hours and worried about the bid's cost.

finally, driver records someone who claims they are "DB cooper " or they molested JonBenét Patricia Ramsey...

ipse

If these scenarios were to actually happen I'd say that the principles are so freaking stupid they deserve whatever happens to them and their companies. First rule of keeping confidential information confidential-----Don't talk about it where others can hear.

amlevin

I would think that if 2 folks are discussing something in front of another then privilege is gone. Really go to google scholar and start doing some searches.

What if you are a pro se litigant? Do you think attny privileges apply to a non-lawyer?

My question was really directed to the attorney who said he wasn't so sure that privilege was lost.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapefinations

Lawyer = one who studies law.

Attorney = one licensed to provide legal representation for compensation.

Attorney-in-fact = one allowed to represent the interest(s) of another via specific written permission of the grantor. May be limited in scope.

davidmcbeth

Banned
And, we all know the only reason for the Navy is to support the greatest service of all: Marines! :p:)

The Marines are part of the Navy. Aside from being the policemen of the Navy, their job is supposed to be storming beaches (yeah, sign me up for that please) ... which they have not done for what, 70 yrs?

The Marines could be retired IMO. After all, the Air Force is here now to take care of all your killing needs.

Last edited: