Thread: Gun store dude tells me I shouldn't be carrying openly

Thumbs down Gun store dude tells me I shouldn't be carrying openly

Went into the Ace Hardware in Walport, OR and found some 22 LR, which was awesome - but the manager (or whatever he was) told me I shouldn't be open carrying. He said he didn't mind me doing it but he wanted me to know it was illegal. I told him that I read everything about carrying in Oregon on handgunlaw.us and as I understood it, the only way I can carry as a nonresident is openly. He said I was wrong. He proceeded to claim that "federal law" was different. He then pulled out a book, which had all the **state** laws (sigh). In this book, he showed me something completely nonrelated to the subject matter, lol. He also informed me that I couldn't carry openly in my car and needed to separate the ammo/gun due to state law. As I'm reading it, I can open carry in my car without a permit.

Now, I'm aware that the state doesn't preempt and that I need to keep up with municipal laws, but he wasn't talking about municipal laws. By the way, I'm having a hard time finding municipal laws online for Waldport and Newport. Anyone have a link for those?
    Open means open...

Last edited by Nightmare; 08-02-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Oregon does not recognize tenn. permit.

Open Carry is legal but the state gave local governments the right to adopt laws/ordinances on carrying loaded firearms by those without a permit/license to carry. Some cities and towns have adopted such laws/ordinances and anyone who wants to open carry should check to make sure they can legally carry where they plan to open carry without a permit/license to carry.
    Last edited by color of law; 08-02-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    <snip>
    By the way, I'm having a hard time finding municipal laws online for Waldport and Newport. Anyone have a link for those?
    Telephoned the clerks ?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Hey, thanks for these! Very much!

Looks like the only one that is a problem is Newport.
    Open means open...

Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    Hey, thanks for these! Very much! Looks like the only one that is a problem is Newport.
    I left California and the Left Coast about 45 years ago. Except for family, the only town in Oregon that I would visit is Chiloquin - to pour a beer on Jack Ulem's grave, and see if any Keeleys are hanging around.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-02-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I fail to see how any mere mortal could feasibly keep track of the laws if they changed from one municipality to the next. It's hard enough state to state. If they don't honor your out of state permit, then they slap on some different OC rules every 30-40 miles, it seems like a fairly insurmountable task. Especially for an out of stater.

Guess I will stay out of Oregon.

Don't know or care if they honor a WI CCL. I think the first out of Wisconsin state I Oc'ed was Washington after I saw and talked to a guy doing so at a truck stop near Yakima.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    LOL
    ...So once a dude told me I shouldn't wear lace hose so long after Halloween and showed me a 1954 Guide For Attracting Young Suitors to prove it.
    Tell your dude ************

--Moderator edited--
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-03-2016 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Family friendly forum doesn't allow such references
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand