• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slow-motion replays can distort criminal responsibility

solus

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
<chuckle> And, how many times have we heard from police "the officer had to make a split-second decision"?

And, yet when it is a citizen defendant, suddenly the prosecutor is going to use slow-motion against the defendant?

-----------------------------

I agree. Interesting aspect of human perception. Two thoughts.

1. Now that this study is out, defense attorneys can have the opportunity to reduce or nullify the effects on the jury.

2. Jurors should give more thought to what happens in those milliseconds.

Just for a fun demonstation, there are a couple fellas on YouTube who call themselves the SloMo Guys. Been doing it a few years. Tons of subscribers. A recent hyper-slow-mo video showed the propogation of fractures through glass, and compared it to how fast an eye blinks. Its worth looking at the video. The interesting (and relevant) point is to watch how much water hits Dan's eye before he even starts to blink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuvcQrAOSk

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would handle such matters through a long winded objection on how the prosecution is not being fair and distorting evidence.

Win the objection or not, jurists will hear (if you take a jury trial--which if favorable or not is subject to debate and case dependent I think).

utbagpiper

Banned
Seems to me this goes both ways...or three ways. An LAC wearing a body cam of his own would be able to provide slow motion video to demonstrate that he was in fear of his life from a violent criminal. He would also be able to show that officers' conduct toward the LAC was deliberate and calculated.

The study shows that individuals viewing video at slow motion speed are several times more likely to import ill intent. Fair enough. Where is the study to show how much less likely someone sitting in a jury box, in a full court room, at noon day is to consider that an assailant actually posed a "reasonable man" threat to the cop's or LAC's life and limb than if they were alone on a dark sidewalk at 10:00 at night? IOW, does the slow motion speed actually create a bias toward seeing intent where there is none? Or does it simply help to overcome the bias that most decent folks have against believing that there are some human beings who can behave as viciously as a cop or LAC who shoots in self defense may have experienced?

To be clear, the study dealt with violent acts caught on video. It was assessing the extent to which a viewer would attribute deliberate forethought to the violent act. This bodes poorly for someone charged with injuring or killing another person when the violent act was caught on tape because intent is the key element in whether someone committed manslaughter vs whether he committed murder.

But, to a certain extent the bias exposed doesn't much matter in the cases of an LAC or cop shooting in claimed self defense.

If I'm shooting in self defense it is against the observable acts of the violent criminal. I don't much care about his intent. Whether he has carefully premeditated his violence, or is simply reacting from the passions of the moment don't matter to me much at all. I don't care whether he is dunk, or high, bipolar or otherwise mentally ill. I don't particularly care if he is entirely in his right mind and attacking me because of my race, my religion, my political bumper sticker, or because he thinks I cut him off at the last exit. I don't care if I'm a completely random target picked to complete some gang initiation. His motive just doesn't much matter to me.

These things may well factor into what strategy will most likely de-escalate. They may factor into whether displaying the gun is likely to be enough to cause him to turn tail and run. They may help in deciding whether attempting to flee is more dangerous than standing my ground.

But if my efforts to avoid, withdraw, and de-escalate fail, then in the moment I have to pull the trigger, I don't care about motive. I care about the threat to my life and limb: immediacy, ability, and intent to inflict harm. The reason behind the intent, is largely moot.

If my body camera captures the bad guy and if slow motion helps the jury see what they would otherwise miss, great.

If a security camera captures both of us, it will show the violence of the bad guy.

If a security camera videos just me, not only will it show absolute intent to use my gun if I use it (NDs are not a good self defense strategy), but I am now armed with additional data to counter any bias the video may create against me.

Remember, we have long had solid studies showing that eyewitness testimony is among the least reliable evidence available. Yet juries continue to give it tremendous weight.

Charles

solus

body cams are not the panacea the nice LEs believe they expect to show how right they are when they uphold the law with deadly force.

especially when they raise more questions, ethical and policy, then they answer, especially to the community.

quote:
It's the latest shooting to highlight the already tenuous relationship between some communities and police, and it touches on broader issues that have time and again racked the Windy City: body cameras, police accountability and seemingly unstemmable violence.

O'Neal, 18, was shot Thursday and died from his injuries after leading a police chase through the South Side of Chicago. He had been suspected of stealing a car. The body camera of the Chicago police officer who fatally shot O'Neal did not record when he opened fire, department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Monday.

Investigators are also looking into whether the officer had turned it on. Officers had received their body cams within the previous eight to 10 days, Guglielmi said. "We are currently in a pilot program," quote

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/02/us/chicago-police-shooting/

ipse

Last edited:

OC for ME

Video is only as reliable (truthful) as the finder of fact determines it to be. The eyewitness account of the camera wearer may be more reliable than the data his camera recorded.

utbagpiper

Banned
Video is only as reliable (truthful) as the finder of fact determines it to be. The eyewitness account of the camera wearer may be more reliable than the data his camera recorded.

The finder of fact (judge or jury as the case may be) will determine the importance and relevance of the video and witness testimony, if any. Video doesn't lie. But neither does it tell the whole truth because it can't possibly record everything that is happening. Eye-witnesses might lie. They are very likely to be mistaken about some things even when they very sincerely believe they are being honest and accurate. Eye-witnesses with both see/hear and miss some things that a single camera doesn't.

Charles

countryclubjoe

The finder of fact (judge or jury as the case may be) will determine the importance and relevance of the video and witness testimony, if any. Video doesn't lie. But neither does it tell the whole truth because it can't possibly record everything that is happening. Eye-witnesses might lie. They are very likely to be mistaken about some things even when they very sincerely believe they are being honest and accurate. Eye-witnesses with both see/hear and miss some things that a single camera doesn't.

Charles

+1

Also witnesses are subjected to some serious browbeating from council along with credibility questions..
The video camera is free of such examination.

Regards
CCJ