Thread: Citizens group seeking CCL and FOID holders with Cops turning down OT

Citizens group seeking CCL and FOID holders with Cops turning down OT

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/wit...-on-labor-day/

A coalition of community organizers are asking residents to help protect their own neighborhoods on Labor Day in response to the police union’s call for officers to refuse overtime work during the historically deadly weekend.
    -----
    The Community Peace Surge is “actively recruiting” people with concealed-carry licenses and FOID cards, Harris said.

“If nothing else, you can stand in your yard,” he said. “It’s lawful for you to stand on your property and protect your property and patrol your property.”
    This could be great or very, very bad.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/wit...-on-labor-day/

This could be great or very, very bad.
    comme ci comme ça

can it truly get any worse?
    http://heyjackass.com/

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Overtime is prima facie bad management.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Ahh so - some employers avoid overtime rates by classifying the employee improperly as 'management.'

Certain organizations credit overtime, but require that it be taken as leave at straight time reduction, but utilized only when authorized. After adding an expiration date and not authorizing, the overtime is lost.

Then there are industries that use the piece work system of pay.

Follow the money - see into which pocket it goes.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

State Researcher
    Got anything beyond emphatic assertion?

My industry is subject to surges and lulls in work. Many competitors will hire to fill any short term surge, and then lay off as soon as the surge ends.

In contrast, in my office, we deliberately aim for 10% over-time on average. We can surge to 25% overtime for short efforts when needed (10 hour work days, 5 days a week are not terrible for a short period). We can also sustain a ~10% drop in work load without ever having to consider downsizing.

In raw terms, with 100 guys working at 44 hours a week each as the norm, we can handle work loads that require between 100 and 125 full time equivalents without having to hire anyone new or fire anyone currently with us as work load rises or falls over the course of a year.

The use of overtime provides significantly increased job security over hiring to fill short term surges. It also saves a lot of expense that otherwise goes into the hiring, training, and firing process.

The option for modest amounts of overtime also enable the employee to increase his pay if he desires. A 10% or 15% pay raise is not a bad thing for most folks. And since the base "overhead" cost of an employee (insurance, desk, lights, etc) is often a significant portion of total cost of employment, it can be cost effective for an employer to pay some modest overtime, rather than hiring additional employees.

Proper use of overtime is one of the most important things to manage.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

sorry mate, obviously you are not a cost center manager overseeing budgets or actively pursuing new business w/appropriate bids.
    as your aerospace organizational business model is based on bid'g on customer's projects using professional 'loaded/burdened' rate-hours (average emp salary plus fica, insurance, for 1800/man hour per year) per cost center e.g., engineers broken down into category of eng, sw, hw, sys, as well as hf, and so forth.

then organzational overhead is added to cumulative cost center totals to cover mgmt., support, qa/ma, ehs, etc., PLUS profit margin for a total project bid to the customer.

normally, the only folk who get overtime are trades-welders, electronic technicians, s/h and if the contract wasnt bid with the burden it doesn't happen.

salaried work professional work weeks ~ till the job is done, even if it is 50+/week. if the project is that boogered up the business enity submits chg orders to the original contract for more funding from the customer.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 08-04-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typOs
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Overtime is typically a indication that a schedule (date of delivery) is at risk. The reasons that create the risk are many and not always under the control of management. As a rule overtime is not desired because it is usually a unplanned cost that impacts profits directly.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

It's not a big secret that general foremen and labor managers in many places get kickbacks from the union for arranging things so that overtime becomes urgently necessary...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    Got anything beyond emphatic assertion?
    I see no emphasis in my assertion. I see object, subject, verb and predicates, a perfect minimalist sentence. It is not YOUR prolix puke on your keyboard hoping something, anything, sticks.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Has this thread run its natural full course with no more on topic replies?

Negative personal remarks are always out of line.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.