• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

REAL ID Act

solus

quote: The following states/territories have an extension, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses from these states until October 10, 2016:

Alaska Arkansas California Guam Idaho Illinois Kentucky Louisiana Maine Massachusetts Michigan Montana N. Marianas New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York N. Carolina N. Dakota Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island S. Carolina Texas Virginia Virgin Islands

Noncompliant States/Territories without Extensions:
Am.Samoa Minnesota+ Missouri Washington+ (+ Federal officials may continue to accept Enhanced Driver’s Licenses from these states.)
unquote https://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories

i can find much hub-bub legalese on real id, but not any type of substance on what the states must do to bring their citizen's DLs into compliance?

the act, https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/real-id-act-text.pdf outlines the requirements:

(1) The person's full legal name.
(2) The person's date of birth.
(3) The person's gender.
(4) The person's driver's license or identification card number.
(5) A digital photograph of the person.
(6) The person's address of principle residence.
(7) The person's signature.
(8) Physical security features designed to prevent tampering,
counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes.
(9) A common machine-readable technology, with defined minimum
data elements.

but is this part of the act the stumbling block for states reaching compliance?

(B) EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL STATUS or (3) VERIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS or (3) Subject each person applying for a driver's license or identification card to mandatory facial image capture

why am i or should i be concerned with shades of 1984?

ipse

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The .govs are only reading every email and telephone call you make .... where have you been for the past 20 yrs? LOL

Anyone who gets a real ID .. the ID part is short for idiot.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have very purposely chosen NOT to get the "real ID." I wonder how much longer that will be tolerated by my benevolent master.

As for ID in general, I still can't understand how ID is required for alcohol, tobacco, and spray paint, but the ghetto is up in arms, pun intended, if they need ID to vote.