• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terrible 4th amend / 42usc1983 conclusion - estopple if supression is lost

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://media.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/16/08/153512U.pdf

Case above ... court finds that if you lose a motion to suppress in the criminal trial, this precludes you from having a cause of action to sue in a 42 USC 1983 case.

I'm sure that if the plaintiff would have won the suppression hearing in the criminal trial this would not preclude the .gov from presenting a case defense at a 1983 case though.

Another instance of the .govs making 2 sets of rules ... one for them and one for us.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

The plaintiffs still may have another litigation...

See the last paragraph in the federal decision... It appears the district court dismissed "without prejudice" therefore the Nances may still choice to litigate their case..

Had the court rendered the decision "with prejudice".. Then the matter would be closed to future litigation..

My .02

Regards
CCJ