Thread: Fairfax - corruption in high places

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Fairfax - corruption in high places

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) - A northern Virginia mayor was facing drug charges Friday after his arrest in a meth-for-sex sting, police said.

Three-term City of Fairfax Mayor R. Scott Silverthorne was arrested Thursday after meeting at a hotel with undercover detectives he connected with through a website used to arrange casual sexual encounters between men, police said.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/32693181/...-for-sex-sting
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Corruption sneaks in the back door too. Its everywhere. If govt is there, corruption is there.

Nemo

excellent pieces of coincidences purposely left out of the commentary which show the bias the main stream has exhibited for years towards their news reporting.

tks gutshot...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    That oath of office just doesn't have the punch it use to have.

Banned
    I would not convict the guy over any drug law violation. Drug laws? Who cares.

I know, its exciting to point to a guy you hate who violated a law that you think is BS. Maybe he signed the law or supported it....

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Forum rule #8??????
    Last edited by Tess; 08-08-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Never mind. Not the only off-topic post in this forum.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Forum rule #8??????
    In that the thread is state specific and relates to an individual who participates in the hiring of the police chief, and other functions such as zoning laws (where and FFL can be located) et cetera that affect our rights to KABA, it is considered appropriate. When an individual ignores their oath of office in one area, their entire conduct becomes suspect.

We have had similar threads on city councilman, mayors, members of our general assembly and the executive branch. Saw no reason to give this man a free pass.

"Silverthorne did not resist arrest and later gave a full confession."

"If we don’t aim high with our standards for those who represent us, then we get men like Mayor Silverthorne. Think about that when you enter the voting booth this November."
    http://eaglerising.com/35722/oh-snap...for-sex-video/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-08-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    Make no mistake ... I don't think drug related crimes should be crimes. But in the political arena ? Anything goes !

I think a guy wearing ladies clothes is not illegal but if you would want that person in public office is another question.

I rarely am concerned with politicians' misfortunes.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Make no mistake ... I don't think drug related crimes should be crimes. But in the political arena ? Anything goes !

I think a guy wearing ladies clothes is not illegal but if you would want that person in public office is another question.

I rarely am concerned with politicians' misfortunes.
    So you've resigned your position as "chairperson" of the Caitlyn Jenner for State Representative committee?

I'd rather have a person wearing ladies undergarments in public office than a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    So you've resigned your position as "chairperson" of the Caitlyn Jenner for State Representative committee?

I'd rather have a person wearing ladies undergarments in public office than a wolf in sheep's clothing.
    now now maverick...50M up front can make you do a great many things, except perhaps agree to the reconstructive surgery...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

The serious problem IMO is an elected official willing breaking laws that he should be by his very office working to uphold.

I am not much interested in his sexual preference.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-09-2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: fixed

Why is "corruption" a surprise?

When some people are given power over others, especially against their will, tyranny (and corruption of all kinds) is the inevitable result.

If you give them power over you (generic "you"), and believe they have any legitimate authority to exercise such, why would you then be outraged about their corruption and misuse of that power?

You either own your life and are responsible for it, or you don't. Make up your mind.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    When some people are given power over others, especially against their will, tyranny (and corruption of all kinds) is the inevitable result.

If you give them power over you (generic "you"), and believe they have any legitimate authority to exercise such, why would you then be outraged about their corruption and misuse of that power?

You either own your life and are responsible for it, or you don't. Make up your mind.
    If one gives them power, and believes that they have any legitimate authority ..., why would one then be outraged ...? HTH
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    If one gives them power, and believes that they have any legitimate authority ..., why would one then be outraged ...? HTH
    What is your question?

You might be willing to give others authority over your life, but it seems obvious that nobody has a right to choose that for anyone else.

None the less... choosing to be ruled by others, not taking full responsibility for oneself and one's family... ultimately leads to the corruption and tyranny we see around us today. There are many other factors, but that becomes the bedrock reason for it.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Your "generic you" was awkward and gauche. Hence the HTH. I won't again.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Well,,,

the question is valid.
    Do they Rule,,, Or Do We Rule!!!

BTW... I feel dumb,, what is HTH?
    too lazy to look it up. please help me,,,,, im old....
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 08-09-2016 at 06:41 PM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    the question is valid.

BTW... I feel dumb,, what is HTH?
    too lazy to look it up. please help me,,,,, im old....
    HTH is "Hope That Helps" or sometimes "How The Hell"

Gauche? As opposed to indicating that my comment applied to any one individual? Oh well.

As for HTH... that could mean anything at all. Just hadn't seen it before. Communication... never going to be easy - not even easy face to face with people we know well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    the question is valid.
    Who is this "we" you speak of? Don't include me in your we, please. I have no wish to rule anyone but myself.

If we want liberty, peace and prosperity, "WE" must be free to rule ourselves and associate voluntarily with those we want to work with for mutual goals. As soon as anyone decides to rule others, against their will, there is war and slavery. Your "we" can choose whatever rulers you please, if any, but you and yours can't choose that for me and mine.

I realize that is a difficult concept for a lot of people to accept, but I hope you will give it some thought. What is it you think politicians should do? And why? For your own benefit? Or to force others to do things - or not do things - "for their own good?" And by what authority?

The only possible authority is by consent of those who are ruled. I know not what others may say, but I do NOT consent.

Sorry for the thread jack... sometimes I can't help but ask these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post

+1

Corruption has long been ingrained into our American political/legal system.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    +1

Corruption has long been ingrained into our American political/legal system.
    Exactly, which is why I marvel that there are any thinking Americans (indeed, any thinking human beings) who still think that any sort of non-voluntary government will be answerable to them or defend their rights and property. It has never actually happened, and never will.

The judiciary and political class have long been working to make a path to a remedy for wrongs inflicted upon the citizenry a ever rising bar that we must overcome. Example you might ask? The federal tax court, how about judges holding absolute immunity for their judicial acts no matter how egregious those acts may be. LE enjoying ever expanding immunities for conduct that is otherwise unlawful.

It is no wonder that a THREE TERM mayor would think himself untouchable. It is odd that not a single soul in government knew of his antics prior to this incident...yeah, and I have cousin who lives in Nigeria who owes you some money.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The judiciary and political class have long been working to make a path to a remedy for wrongs inflicted upon the citizenry a ever rising bar that we must overcome. Example you might ask? The federal tax court, how about judges holding absolute immunity for their judicial acts no matter how egregious those acts may be. LE enjoying ever expanding immunities for conduct that is otherwise unlawful.

It is no wonder that a THREE TERM mayor would think himself untouchable. It is odd that not a single soul in government knew of his antics prior to this incident...yeah, and I have cousin who lives in Nigeria who owes you some money.
    that's your cousin...

ipse