Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: ‘Their weapons aimed menacingly at the sidewalk’ NYT on Olympics security

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    ‘Their weapons aimed menacingly at the sidewalk’ NYT on Olympics security

    In the face of soaring street crime, the state government has deployed a security force of 85,000 in Rio de Janeiro, among them 23,000 soldiers who stand sentinel at busy intersections or cruise the streets in military jeeps, their weapons aimed menacingly at the sidewalk.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/wo...rime.html?_r=0

    Eugene Volokh comments at The Volokh Conspiracy
    But the aiming of the weapons seems to me pretty unmenacing (if you call it aiming at all).

    I don’t mean to make too much of this — glitches happen in articles (mine as much as anybody’s). But this seem to me to be a bit illustrative of the kinds of glitches that sometimes happen when journalists write about guns.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-the-sidewalk/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,880
    however, the 85K security force is touted as there to prevent crime...the article's photo showing where the nice individual's firearm was aiming did not bother me so much but rather his crooked trigger finger was resting

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    I have passed through one zone of heightened security, Rome's Da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport shortly after the 1973 Palestinian terrorist incident there. It was advised to not look directly at the troops lining the terminal spaces and their fingers were on the triggers.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I have passed through one zone of heightened security, Rome's Da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport shortly after the 1973 Palestinian terrorist incident there. It was advised to not look directly at the troops lining the terminal spaces and their fingers were on the triggers.
    Deutschland's flughof's in Templehof & Frankfurt am Main especially, as well as those aeroports on the African continent were the most discerning for me,

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    497
    I wonder if when our troops rifles are hanging from a sling pointing downward, if that too is menacing.

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezek View Post
    I wonder if when our troops rifles are hanging from a sling pointing downward, if that too is menacing.
    There are some who would describe a holstered sidearm without any hand or finger in contact with it as "menacing"! Or even pointing a single finger at another while open carrying as "BRANDISHING"!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 08-10-2016 at 05:34 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    Other than an oddly, self-aware sidewalk, what sane individual considers a firearm pointed at the sidewalk, to be "menacing?"

    And does such a self-aware sidewalk as would be menaced by having guns pointed at it, also get tired of being walked all over?
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    There are some who would describe a holstered sidearm without any hand or finger in contact with it as "menacing"! Or even pointing a single finger at another while open carrying as "BRANDISHING"!
    There are those here that will recall Skidmark (RIP) being charged with brandishing for pointing his finger at an officer to emphasise the point, "You don't know. You weren't there."

    That was the original Ferry Tale - Dan Hawes defending. Took 2 years of Skid's life as he lost initially, but prevailed on appeal.

    I've heard a rumor that the then Commonwealth Attorney in Surry, Gerald Poindexter, was so frightened that he wet himself....but what do I know.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-11-2016 at 12:32 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Were you to know that then we would know too much. TMI
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,880
    depends


    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    the then Commonwealth Attorney in Surry, Gerald Poindexter, was so frightened that he wet himself....but what do I know.
    I have been responsible for a few to "soil their armor". I find it very, very funny

    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    depends
    I find this funny also
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  12. #12
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    You are projecting again; and --edited by Moderator---
    sorry you used those kind sentiments already towards me today...

    i am sorry you have felt the urgent need to engage in derogatory commentary today, but the practice is beneath such a learned individual.

    ipse
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-11-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Edited quote
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •