• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arkansas PChief and deputy shot

solus

A sheriff's deputy and the Hackett police chief have been shot in Sebastian County in western Arkansas. The shooting happened before 7:20 a.m. outside a residence in the 4700 block of Arkansas 253, which is between Greenwood and Midland.

A Hackett police spokesman identified the employee as Police Chief Darrell Spells, who was released from a local hospital later in the morning and is expected to be fine. The extent of the sheriff's deputy's injuries wasn't immediately known.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...rs-shot-sebastian-county-authoritie/?breaking

really long hot summer...

ipse

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
These guys need to learn the difference between concealment and cover.

So..... with no other details than were contained in the article, you have divined that neither the Police Chief nor the Deputy know the difference between concealment and cover ... even thought the article itself gives absolutely no details on how the shooting transpired...

SMH...

solus

IMG_6014_t630.JPG

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Arkansas sheriff's deputy shot dead responding to disturbance call, suspect arrested

"A Northwest Arkansas sheriff's deputy was fatally shot Wednesday morning and a local police chief was injured while responding to a disturbance call."

"Hackett Chief of Police Darrell Spells earlier was treated and released from the hospital after being grazed in the forehead by a bullet."

"Billy M. Jones, 35, was identified as the accused gunman and taken into custody shortly before noon......"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/10/two-officers-shot-in-arkansas-suspect-not-in-custody.html

davidmcbeth

Banned

During the encounter, Jones shot at and damaged a police robot providing surveillance to the responding officers, Hollenbeck said. In the commotion, a police dog was shot and ran into the woods and remained missing later Wednesday....

Hope the dog is OK.

Also, no mention of any crime being done before the "standoff" occurred. A "rukus"? I think that many members here create rukuses (sp?).

Hardly the stuff that requires an encounter.

But maybe we'll learn more as time goes on.

The law needs to change wherein police cannot interact unless RAS or PC is actually present before the encounter, get the 4th amendment back to where it should be.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
During the encounter, Jones shot at and damaged a police robot providing surveillance to the responding officers, Hollenbeck said. In the commotion, a police dog was shot and ran into the woods and remained missing later Wednesday....

Hope the dog is OK.

Also, no mention of any crime being done before the "standoff" occurred. A "rukus"? I think that many members here create rukuses (sp?).

Hardly the stuff that requires an encounter.

But maybe we'll learn more as time goes on.

The law needs to change wherein police cannot interact unless RAS or PC is actually present before the encounter, get the 4th amendment back to where it should be.

Here in Fairfax County, VA, about two years ago, a cop shot an unarmed guy in the door of his townhouse. One shot. His name was Scott Greer. Then, the police let him bleed to death inside his townhome.

It turns out, the police negotiator standing right beside the shooter gave an interview to Internal Affairs withim a very short time. The interview used to be on YouTube--maybe still is. The prosecutor did not act on that interview for a year. That is to say, that interview alone was enough to hang the shooter cop, but the prosecutor and PD kicked it up to the feds, who, after a year, when the county Board of Supervisors finally got around to inquiring, said (the feds said) the hold up was the PD not being forthcoming with information requests.

Eventually, the cop was convicted and sentenced to about a week more than time served. About a year.

Throughout all the hoopla, stalling, avoidance, and charges, the one thing I've never seen reported is the legal justification for the police to be standing in his yard, trying to coax him out of his house (the negotiator), in the first place. He was tossing his common law wife's stuff out of his house after a disagreement. The record shows his common law wife expressly told police there was no physical violence. She expressly told the police he had not used physical force against her.

So, what was the legal justification for police to stand in his yard, confront him, and try to talk him out his house in the first place (before convicted manslaughterer Officer Torres just up and shot him)? What were they doing there in the first place pointing a gun (Officer Torres) in the first place? What exactly was their legal justification? I've never seen it reported.* Did Scott Greer die simply because he didn't know to say, "I don't consent to your presence. Get of my property"?

*If any reader has come across this information--even a vague recollection of a news report, I would be grateful to know it.

Last edited: