• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

50 years for a DWI ? Excessive?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

davidmcbeth

Banned
Your post's title is misleading -- and his sentence is CERTAINLY not excessive considering it's his 6th DWI and the fact that he has injured or killed people while driving drunk 5 times before.

Have you considered that he already served his time for all of that?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have you considered that he already served his time for all of that?
Have you considered that he has repeatedly shown a disregard for the safety and well-being of others and that by his history will likely continue to do so? How many must be maimed or killed before we say, "Enough!" ?

This has gone far beyond three strikes and you are out.

Maverick9

I think it should be more strict. Two and you lose your right to drive permanently. One plus one with injury and mandatory 1 year sentencing, none suspended.

For one thing there are taxis, often provided free for the inebriated.

solus

suppose texas judicial has little faith in substance rehab concepts, eh?

ipse

utbagpiper

Banned
Sixth conviction for DUI. One dead victim. Three injured victims since then. Lots of property damages. Serving 16 years on one of his prior convictions apparently didn't rehabilitate him or otherwise persuade him to stay off the roads while intoxicated.

This guy is a walking poster child for habitual offenders.

Had he killed one person and injured three others in multiple crimes committed with a gun, someone on this board would not doubt celebrate his demise at the hands of an LAC defending himself.

Ironically, that same someone suggests a 50 year sentence (eligible for parole in 25) is excessive when the guy uses a weapon more dangerous than whatever most of us choose to carry on a daily basis, and against which it is actually more difficult to mount an effective self-defense than it is against the crack-head with a gun.

The only thing "excessive" about this is that it took 6 convictions to draw this kind of sentence that will actually protect society.

I'm with Maverick. By the 2nd DUI, it should be lifetime loss of driving privileges. (1st DUI should probably result in at least a one year revocation of the license.) ANY driving while a license is revoked or suspended for DUI should be a lifetime sentence. Make in minimum security if they are well behaved. But those who insist on driving while intoxicated are responsible for more homicides in this nation each year than are criminals with guns. Toss in grave and life altering injuries that don't actually kill, as well as property damage and drunk drivers are one of the more serious menaces to society.

Charles

countryclubjoe

The gentleman's appetite for ebriosity landed him a 50 year sentence, thats some appetite however I feel the sentence is justified given the history..

The problem I see is that even if he survives prison and is released in say 30 years, the cost to house and feed him will cost well over one million dollars. That million in my opinion should be used to compensate the victims of his previous wrong doings.. The issue then becomes what do we do with the gentleman? Ideas are welcome, I need to ponder this dilemma for a spell.

My .02

Regards
CCJ

countryclubjoe

It has come to my attention that the State of Texas in no less than 23 days shall execute a gentleman, a 28 year old gentleman with a Daughter,
A gentleman possessing an 80 IQ and full of vacuity.. The gentleman's crime was sitting in a vehicle, unbeknown to him that one of his companions entered a store an during the commission of a robbery shot and killed the store attendant. The murderer was put to death last year..

The 50 years pales in comparison to being injected with a drug that stops your heart causing death..

My .02

Regards
CCJ