Thread: More po po body cams = more deaths? Study suggests so

Banned

More po po body cams = more deaths? Study suggests so

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2016/08/12/...ooting-deaths/

I'm sure that the scholars are fine people .. I just find it hard to believe that the data is out there to complete such a study.

But its out there, others may have different opinions on the veracity of the study...happy to hear them.

I may contact the authors to discuss further. I am not a big proponent of body cameras to begin with, even before this study.

Not scholars, WaPo.

Epithets are seldom accurate.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Tomorrow a study will show otherwise.

Body cams have not been in use long enough to result in any definitive conclusion.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Tomorrow a study will show otherwise.

Body cams have not been in use long enough to result in any definitive conclusion.
    Force Science Institute - Force Science News #317 is attempting to address this problem to some degree.
    http://www.forcescience.org/

Body Cameras & Other Recordings in Law Enforcement: Critical Force Science Issues Impacting Investigations, Policy, and Incident Analysis
    Date: SEPTEMBER 22-23, 2016

Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-13-2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Force Science Institute - Force Science News #317 is attempting to address this problem to some degree.

Body Cameras & Other Recordings in Law Enforcement: Critical Force Science Issues Impacting Investigations, Policy, and Incident Analysis

Tuition:
    $1,500 per student

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Tuition:
    $1,500 per student
    and you must be LE w/agency!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Tuition:
    $1,500 per student
    Incorrect - $495 per student

http://www.forcescience.org/cameracourse.html

Davidmcbeth was only off by 300%
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-14-2016 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Interesting confusion of interests, EMT/LEO with body cam

I recently witnessed an interesting confusion of interests. In an auditorium with 300 people, a man fell heavily. 911 was called and the on-duty cop responded as EMS shift leader. My interest was piqued when I watched the cop going through the man's wallet.

Does one surrender one's Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights in exchange for first aid? Can the EMT/LEO claim HIPAA exception to an FOIA demand for body cam video for instance?

Later I quizzed an EMT from a different shift and she was unable to admit ignorance, dancing around HIPAA rather than saying that she did not know the detail about which I was inquiring. As it happened, another audience member was an ER MD and he reduced the victim's dislocated Dx shoulder on the scene.

I am just recently carrying a video capable smartphone that I trust and again did not think of video until too late. I am just starting to investigate MeWe's video capabilities.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-14-2016 at 10:18 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned

Mine was a copy/paste ... so that is there.

Grape, if the good mcbeth followed your original posted link, http://www.forcescience.org/ and did not do due diligence and toddle over to # 317, but instead looked down saw Sept & clicked on FSI's advertised 4 day certification course offered in Sept in Scottsdale AZ, he discovered the course tuition was $1500 vice the second link you just posted directly to FSI's Sept camera course.

you might rap & tap your abacus on the table as i think you have a marker or two stuck...33%

( i know, i know, the beatings for speaking out will commence momentarily...!! ~ but they feel sooooo good as they hurt soooooo long , er, uh, sorry outside voice)

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Mine was a copy/paste ... so that is there.
    You copied and pasted information from the wrong course.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    --snipped--

you might rap & tap your abacus on the table as i think you have a marker or two stuck...33%
    A) - $495 X 3 = $1485 or $1500 when rounded up = 300% overstated.

B) - $1500 in reply vs $495 actual = 33% of amount in his reply.

Which selected depends on one's POV.

I prefer choice "A" as IMO it more dramatically shows the divergence between fact and false.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.