Thread: Vacationing in Tennessee. Need Gun Law information.

Question Vacationing in Tennessee. Need Gun Law information.

We'll be travelling to Tennessee for a short vacation in October. Two couples, my best friend and I are looking to carry. I have my CCDW conceal carry license, my best friend does not have his yet.

I've done a little reading and I notice Tenn. requires permits to carry for those living in the state but I'm writing to ask what the laws are for those vacationing there? I usually carry in a semi-concealed carry IWB holster. My friend usually carries in an OWB Serpa style holster.

Looking for knowledgeable gun law individuals to help us stay within to law. From my understanding, I shouldn't have any issues in carrying but my best friend who doesn't have his concealed carry license might.

Also, what is the state laws for restaurants if they derive more than 51% of their sales from food? Anything further that we should be aware of?
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Neurobladesyou having a Kentucky permit appear to be good to go - reciprocity between the two states.
    https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgreciprocity

Your friend, on the other hand, may be left out in the cold. It seems that OC is only allowed with a valid permit. I will let others clarify that for you and explain any caveats.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

A permit is required to carry in TN, you are good, your friend is not. Loaded car carry is OK too, permit or not, just keep it in the car. OC is fairly accepted here too but if asked by an officer for your permit you must show it. I wish I could cite but I don't know how to post with links. Signs have the force of law here too, if a place is posted, no carry into it. Restaurants that serve alcohol is fine as long as its not posted and you don't drink and its wise to just stay out of the bar area.
    Last edited by Ken56; 08-17-2016 at 06:17 AM.

Carrying handguns in the state of TN is illegal. Having a HCP/CCP/PP/CCW/whatever you call it is a defense against the charge. I'm probably mangling the legal terms, but that's the gist of it. Basically, you're guilty until proven innocent. Hence, if a cop sees you carrying (open or not) he has all the RAS to stop you and ask for your permit.

HCP/Permit required for carry, open or concealed. Any state's permit is accepted.

No permit, no carry; at least legally.

TN.gov site on handgun laws: http://tn.gov/safety/article/handguntca

Good luck and have fun!

Thank You Everyone.

Thank to those that have responded to my request for info.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

I plan on visiting Tennessee in July. I have a Michigan CPL so I should be good to go.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Yes. Tennessee honors all other states permits/licenses
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Passing thru TN to/from TX to VA I OCd w Texas CHL. Never been a problem, no police asked for permit w me OC in Knoxville Bojangles.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651