• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can police enforce lawful actions unlawfully?

solus

the national news this evening showed the CA forest service head hocho stating...if we tell you to evacuate YOU will!

wondered about the legality of the statement then, but now in light of nightmare's statement...

hummmm!

ipse

hammer6

In the DISQUS forum discussion on the topic, I related that I was "in the Sixties a Northern California County Fire Control Technician, and we had no problems documenting the order and the offer of assistance and then walking away, looking for someone that would accept our offer."

I was paid by the County Health Department as a medical technician entomologist and I mostly smeared feces looking for worms, larvae, and eggs. It's a long way from that to a nuclear engineer qualified to direct strategic asset power plant testing operations.

the national news this evening showed the CA forest service head hocho stating...if we tell you to evacuate YOU will!

wondered about the legality of the statement then, but now in light of nightmare's statement...

hummmm!

ipse

I was threatened with "disobeying a lawful order," so I searched for just what is a lawful/unlawful order in my state. In a word, unless there is a statute addressing the order/circumstances, any order by a cop is lawful.

are you guys mocking me?

solus

are you guys mocking me?

please be assured, you would know if i were mocking you...

mine was a legitimate commentary regarding the lawfulness of the Forest Service's televised order...

ipse

OC for ME

hummmm!

ipse
Cops would claim their "q-munity" caretaking powers and arrest those who "dis da man."

davidmcbeth

Banned
if there's no law, then can an officer make a lawful order? like in the video- there's no law for him to enforce, so he has to make one up.

Well, I have been told that I've made up laws...like our RKBA, freedom of speech, etc..I still go by what I see as the law.

? you need to research is this: when the guy does so, is he acting within the scope of his employment?

Different states have different rules. I can only tell you relating to two : in Illinois: yes in Utah: likely not.

I do not see your query as limited to just one state....

Outside scope of employment, unquestionably outside of any immunity. Inside scope of employment...gets more complicated.

Your post is a good one....but you need to be more specific and try to do some research before posting. All the responses could be from people who just finished off a case of PRB for all you know..so don't take anything as gospel.

Last edited:

hammer6

Well, I have been told that I've made up laws...like our RKBA, freedom of speech, etc..I still go by what I see as the law.

? you need to research is this: when the guy does so, is he acting within the scope of his employment?

Different states have different rules. I can only tell you relating to two : in Illinois: yes in Utah: likely not.

I do not see your query as limited to just one state....

Outside scope of employment, unquestionably outside of any immunity. Inside scope of employment...gets more complicated.

Your post is a good one....but you need to be more specific and try to do some research before posting. All the responses could be from people who just finished off a case of PRB for all you know..so don't take anything as gospel.

yeah i know and i don't. but i left it as vague as possible so as not to sway anyone's response. i tried researching, but couldn't find anything either way, which is why i eventually came here to post the question.

hammer6

Are you a snowflake, hypersensitive to offense?

True, I did not and will not watch a blind video link, that's why I did not link my comment to your OP.

yes.

and you should watch the video. it's a group of about 5-6 guys protesting peacefully outside the UN in NYC. they are told that according to a federal court order, they couldn't be there. the guy asks to see the court order, and the cop doesn't have it with him.

davidmcbeth

Banned
yes.

and you should watch the video. it's a group of about 5-6 guys protesting peacefully outside the UN in NYC. they are told that according to a federal court order, they couldn't be there. the guy asks to see the court order, and the cop doesn't have it with him.

FYI ... you can place people on an "ignore list" ....

hammer6

FYI ... you can place people on an "ignore list" ....

i'm an adult and i'm okay with people having their own opinions that may be different than mine. i actually find it beneficial to see other sides of the story- it helps increase my knowledge. :)

hammer6

How prescient was I. I am not interested. I am not likely to be interested in anything on video, or in any explanatory narrative.

You must understand and appreciate the Narrative Fallacy. In text and dialogue each point presented in a well constructed sentence can be examined before going on to the next - or not. The narrative is the witch doctor's tool requiring suspension of skepticism and disbelief to get to the punch line. There is so much to read and so little time.

says the guy with 10,338 posts on an internet forum.

cool.

hammer6

I was threatened with "disobeying a lawful order," so I searched for just what is a lawful/unlawful order in my state. In a word, unless there is a statute addressing the order/circumstances, any order by a cop is lawful.

don't you mean unlawful?

laws don't make things legal, they make things illegal. or is that different in other states?