• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona House bill 2338

exelci

Hello all,

I've read about this new bill and i think i get it.. But I still need someone more knowledgeable than me to clarify.. Lucky me i am a member of this forum and surely there are plenty of knowledgeable people around here that can help this youngsters clarify his mind..

Thanks!

solus

thanks grape but reading the entire bill, is scary that if anybody threatens physical injury or damage to student, property, or employee you are guilty if the, quote:
C. The chief administrative officer of an educational institution or an officer or employee designated by the chief administrative officer to maintain order may order a person to leave the property of the educational institution if the officer or employee has reasonable grounds to believe either that:
1. Any person or persons are committing any act that interferes with or disrupts the lawful use of the property by others at the educational institution.
2. Any person has entered on the property of an educational institution for the purpose of committing any act that interferes with or disrupts the lawful use of the property by others at the educational institution. unquote

Penalties shall include: quote: provisions for the ejection of a violator from the property and, in the case of a student, faculty member or other staff violator, the violator's suspension or expulsion or any other appropriate disciplinary action. unquote

their broad definition of, quote: Any deadly weapon, dangerous instrument or explosive that is used, displayed or possessed by a person in violation of a rule adopted pursuant to this subsection shall be forfeited and sold, destroyed (destroyed is deleted in the bill) or otherwise disposed of pursuant to SECTION 13-3105 AND chapter 39 of this title. unquote.

then someone added two CYAs, quote:I. NOTWITHSTANDING SECTION 15-341 AND SUBSECTION D OF THIS SECTION, THE GOVERNING BOARD OF AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION MAY NOT ADOPT OR ENFORCE ANY POLICY OR RULE THAT PROHIBITS THE LAWFUL POSSESSION OR CARRYING OF A DEADLY WEAPON ON A PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY BY A PERSON OR ON OR WITHIN A PERSON'S MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION.
5. "PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY" MEANS ANY HIGHWAY, STREET, ROAD, THOROUGHFARE, PATH, ALLEY OR OTHER RIGHT-OF-WAY THAT IS PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE
9 AND THAT IS ESTABLISHED AND MAINTAINED BY THIS STATE OR A POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE. PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY DOES NOT INCLUDE PROPERTY OF AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION. unquote.

this knee jerk reaction actually surprised me that AZ legislators are even thinking about this. especially the concept of 'reasonable grounds to believe' giving someone that much oversight.

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip>

this knee jerk reaction actually surprised me that AZ legislators are even thinking about this. especially the concept of 'reasonable grounds to believe' giving someone that much oversight.

ipse

Well, they gotta write laws....their mentality is that this is why they are there .. to pass laws...pass laws, pass laws, pass laws.

Soon you will need a permit to have a bowel movement.

exelci

Well, they gotta write laws....their mentality is that this is why they are there .. to pass laws...pass laws, pass laws, pass laws.

Soon you will need a permit to have a bowel movement.
<------ LOL thanks for the laugh

exelci

thanks grape but reading the entire bill, is scary that if anybody threatens physical injury or damage to student, property, or employee you are guilty if the, quote:
C. The chief administrative officer of an educational institution or an officer or employee designated by the chief administrative officer to maintain order may order a person to leave the property of the educational institution if the officer or employee has reasonable grounds to believe either that:
1. Any person or persons are committing any act that interferes with or disrupts the lawful use of the property by others at the educational institution.
2. Any person has entered on the property of an educational institution for the purpose of committing any act that interferes with or disrupts the lawful use of the property by others at the educational institution. unquote

Penalties shall include: quote: provisions for the ejection of a violator from the property and, in the case of a student, faculty member or other staff violator, the violator's suspension or expulsion or any other appropriate disciplinary action. unquote

their broad definition of, quote: Any deadly weapon, dangerous instrument or explosive that is used, displayed or possessed by a person in violation of a rule adopted pursuant to this subsection shall be forfeited and sold, destroyed (destroyed is deleted in the bill) or otherwise disposed of pursuant to SECTION 13-3105 AND chapter 39 of this title. unquote.

then someone added two CYAs, quote:I. NOTWITHSTANDING SECTION 15-341 AND SUBSECTION D OF THIS SECTION, THE GOVERNING BOARD OF AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION MAY NOT ADOPT OR ENFORCE ANY POLICY OR RULE THAT PROHIBITS THE LAWFUL POSSESSION OR CARRYING OF A DEADLY WEAPON ON A PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY BY A PERSON OR ON OR WITHIN A PERSON'S MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION.
5. "PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY" MEANS ANY HIGHWAY, STREET, ROAD, THOROUGHFARE, PATH, ALLEY OR OTHER RIGHT-OF-WAY THAT IS PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE
9 AND THAT IS ESTABLISHED AND MAINTAINED BY THIS STATE OR A POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE. PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY DOES NOT INCLUDE PROPERTY OF AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION. unquote.

ipse

Thanks! I agree with you 100%

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
HB 2338 was an AzCDL-requested bill to stop university and college administrators from claiming they could ban guns on every street and sidewalk that intersected the campus. The text of the new law is here. Look for the bold blue text. It covers all "weapons" not just guns and not just discreet carry.

Fred
We see a ker-ching lurking there for somebody.

I. NOtwithstanding section 15-341 and subsection D of this section, the governing board of an educational institution may not adopt or enforce any policy or rule that prohibits the lawful possession or carrying of a deadly weapon on a public right‑of‑way by a person or on or within a person's means of transportation.

5. "Public right‑of‑way" means any highway, street, road, thoroughfare, path, alley or other right‑of‑way that is publicly accessible and that is established and maintained by this state or a political subdivision of this state. Public right‑of‑way does not include property of an educational institution.

http://www.cqstatetrack.com/texis/redir?id=56992cbb50b

Last edited: