Thread: Glendale, AZ, apparent mugger puts gun to OCing woman's neck

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

Glendale, AZ, apparent mugger puts gun to OCing woman's neck

I looked around and didn't see a link to this yet

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/08...glock.html?m=1

"Carolann was openly carrying. She was accosted by a violent, armed felon. He did not simply "shoot her first" as many who oppose open carry claim will happen. Even though he "had the drop" on her, she won the gun fight."

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-wes...rotect-herself
    Advocate freedom please

SA in this day and age includes extreme prejudice against panhandlers and smokers.

Elsewhere today I read a discussion of a state's application of the First Amendment in their disorderly conduct statute, implying that community standards are reasonable. My personal standards are much more conservative, to exclude as reasonable hoodies, black apparel, shadowed face, sunglasses/no eye contact, visible body mods, et cetera.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners and civility are good when one may have to back one's acts with ones life.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    A good outcome so far, but she needs to KYBMS, no need to talk to the media. They won't award her a monetary prize for most effective self-defense of the month.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

you cock your glock?

grape you are right her SA sucks.

you do not stay on scene after you fatally wound someone, but run home to call 911?

her commentary sounds like she was OC'g?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    you cock your glock?

grape you are right her SA sucks.

you do not stay on scene after you fatally wound someone, but run home to call 911?

her commentary sounds like she was OC'g?

ipse
    Would one even have the legal obligation to call 911 at all? Given 5th amendment and 4th amendment concerns.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Would one even have the legal obligation to call 911 at all? Given 5th amendment and 4th amendment concerns.
    There are legal obligations and then there are practical and moral obligations.

Not to summon aid after serious wounding someone--even in perfectly justified and necessary self-defense--once the threat is passed and one can do so without exposure to harm, would be, at least, grossly immoral.

We might also consider that victims tend to call 911 while perpetrators tend to hide from police. Legally binding? No. But something a jury is likely to hear and consider if a prosecutor pushes thing? Probably.

Finally, while no expert on the topic, I seem to recall that the 5th amendment protects against incriminating yourself criminally. If you've done nothing wrong, no protection. Common example is duty to inform laws. 5th amendment protects criminals carrying in violation of statute. It doesn't provide an exemption for LACs carrying in compliance with law. And yes, this is a heck of Hobson's choice.

If you think you are legal and inform you might find out you're not having made a confession. If you really were legal, and didn't inform because you thought you might have been committing a crime, well now you have violated the duty to inform statute. One of several reasons to oppose duty to inform statutes.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Banned
    utbagpiper kinda drifted off into the 5th amendment issue (it is kinda goofy how courts have seen things ~~ showing you why I don't look to courts to decide my rights)....

I assume that while utbagpiper does not see a legal, mandatory requirement...he sees a moral one (which I guess God would sort out later).

an AZ attorney's website states, quote
    You Have Been Involved in a Self-Defense Situation, What Should You Do?

Your goal in any self-defense situation should be to stop the threat. The first thing you should do if you have been involved in a self-defense shooting is get to a safe place if you fear there may be other assailants who could attack you. The next thing you should do is call 911 or have someone call 911 for you. unquote.

then goes on to state, quote: DO NOT try to explain yourself or what happened. You should not answer any questions until you have had an opportunity to consult with an attorney. Politely tell the police that you are not going to answer any questions until you have had a chance to speak with an attorney. Even police officers involved in a shooting speak to an attorney from their union before they agree to be questioned about it. You should exercise this same right even if it means you have to spend the night in jail. It is better to spend one night in jail, than to spend years of your life in prison because you did not consult with an attorney before trying to explain your actions to police. unquote http://www.davismiles.com/arizona-se...d-your-ground/

darn good philosophy...

grossly immoral to not render or summon aid, nawllll...according to the victim she had a firearm put to her neck...now that was grossly immoral.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain