Thread: It wasn't "ransom" because we did it ...

Banned

It wasn't "ransom" because we did it ...

https://youtu.be/n5kX2jIQmws

I guess two parties could say that ransom is paid before or afterwards ?

some say leverage others say ransom...yet the term leverage has a strange rotten smell to it, like it came from the state of denmark...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Ransom is the quid in Quid pro quo.

In the United States, if the exchange appears excessively one sided, courts in some jurisdictions may question whether a quid pro quo did actually exist and the contract may be held void. (UCC § 2-302. Unconscionable contract or Term. )
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-19-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    It wasn't ransom because we didn't call it ransom.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

We held on to their money until we were sure there were no shenanigans with the hostages. Ransom is typically paid before the hostages are released. This money was released after the hostages were safe.
    Last edited by beebobby; 08-19-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    We held on to their money until we were sure there were no shenanigans with the hostages. Ransom is typically paid before the hostages are released. This money was released after the hostages were safe.
    I would disagree that ransom must be paid before hostages are released for the payment to actually be considered truly a ransom.

Of course if one wished to view it this way then the Iranians ransomed our sailors. Do we now pay ransom for our citizens?

Either way its bad ... but its clear to me that some type of ransom was conducted and both views are equally viable arguments.

"U.S. officials wouldn’t let Iranians take control of the money until a Swiss Air Force plane carrying three freed Americans departed from Tehran on Jan. 17. Once that happened, an Iranian cargo plane was allowed to bring the cash home from a Geneva airport that day."
    http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...ou_get_nothing

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    "U.S. officials wouldn’t let Iranians take control of the money until a Swiss Air Force plane carrying three freed Americans departed from Tehran on Jan. 17. Once that happened, an Iranian cargo plane was allowed to bring the cash home from a Geneva airport that day."
    http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...ou_get_nothing
    you need to watch more tv police stories...

let me talk to the 'pick one ~ child, wife, husband, animal' i before get the money...

let me see or assure above is free, before i release the money.

you, walk across the bridge slowly and do not talk to those walking towards you.

ya your perspective is skew'd from not watching tv or movies.

Khomeini refused to land in Teheran until the Shah's aeroplane had lifted off and cleared Mehrabad's airspace ~ no money exchanged but the ransom was met which the world has regretted ever since.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain