Thread: The Antis Tip Their Hand - Totally Ignorant - Zero Facts - All Emotion

The Antis Tip Their Hand - Totally Ignorant - Zero Facts - All Emotion

The antis are quite literally, totally ignorant on the subject. For them, it's all about emotions, not facts:

"Political commentator and comedian Steven Crowder wanted to see how much those calling for "common sense gun control" actually know about firearms. To do so, he set up a tent for the "Citizens Coalition for Common Sense Gun Reform" and asked his fellow concerned citizens about what types of guns the government should ban and why.

"What he learned: ALMOST NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT GUNS and all of their reasons behind which guns should be banned and which should be allowed are based off of how guns make them feel, not what they are actually capable of."

"Crowder asks Common Sensers to decide on a "sliding scale" which of the guns he is displaying should be banned and which should be allowed. The "experts" it turns out are utterly superficial in what weapons they believe the government should confiscate: If it was metallic and wood, people were fine with it. If it was black and "tactical looking," they wanted the government to ban it."

Linky.

Here's another beauty: "When Crowder makes the absurd claim that the AR-15 is used in upwards of "99.4% of mass shootings," most of the participants accept that statistic as true. In fact, only 3% of all criminal uses of guns actually involve rifles of any kind." I find this an abundantly clear indication of just how incredibly and grossly distorted mainstream media reporting really is on the use and misuse of firearms here in these United States.
    Last edited by since9; 08-19-2016 at 06:35 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Banned
    But also, you only see the video that they want you to see....

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    The antis are quite literally, totally ignorant on the subject. For them, it's all about emotions, not facts:

"Political commentator and comedian Steven Crowder wanted to see how much those calling for "common sense gun control" actually know about firearms. To do so, he set up a tent for the "Citizens Coalition for Common Sense Gun Reform" and asked his fellow concerned citizens about what types of guns the government should ban and why.

"What he learned: ALMOST NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT GUNS and all of their reasons behind which guns should be banned and which should be allowed are based off of how guns make them feel, not what they are actually capable of."

"Crowder asks Common Sensers to decide on a "sliding scale" which of the guns he is displaying should be banned and which should be allowed. The "experts" it turns out are utterly superficial in what weapons they believe the government should confiscate: If it was metallic and wood, people were fine with it. If it was black and "tactical looking," they wanted the government to ban it."

Linky.

Here's another beauty: "When Crowder makes the absurd claim that the AR-15 is used in upwards of "99.4% of mass shootings," most of the participants accept that statistic as true. In fact, only 3% of all criminal uses of guns actually involve rifles of any kind." I find this an abundantly clear indication of just how incredibly and grossly distorted mainstream media reporting really is on the use and misuse of firearms here in these United States.
    I find it an indictment of the irrationality of too many with who I share this piece of North America. Mark Twain wrote a cogent piece on this subject. Corn Pone Opinions. It is definitely worth reading. Even if you disagree, you'll get a chuckle out of the first part of the piece. Here's the link. And, do slip in just to enjoy the classic humor of Mark Twain in the first couple paragraphs, even if you don't read the rest.

http://www.paulgraham.com/cornpone.html
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

From the link
    Twenty-five years ago, in England, six or eight wine glasses stood grouped by each person's plate at a dinner party, and they were used, not left idle and empty; to-day there are but three or four in the group, and the average guest sparingly uses about two of them. We have not adopted this new fashion yet, but we shall do it presently. We shall not think it out; we shall merely conform, and let it go at that. We get our notions and habits and opinions from outside influences; we do not have to study them out..
    I use a 250 ml juice glass. When we have guests then Milady Wife insists on her one wine glass shape.

In the spring I had a memorable wine, $10 per nice glass full. I ordered a case for $90 = $7.50/bottle, but still serve it in juice glasses. 10Span Central Coast Pinot Noir.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I watched the video earlier and, quite frankly, I wish I had back the 15 minutes or so it took to do so. Although Crowder does do some decent stuff, this was not among it. Making ignorant, clueless hoplophobes look like ignorant, clueless hoplophobes is an easy task.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I find it an indictment of the irrationality of too many with who I share this piece of North America. Mark Twain wrote a cogent piece on this subject. Corn Pone Opinions. It is definitely worth reading. Even if you disagree, you'll get a chuckle out of the first part of the piece. Here's the link. And, do slip in just to enjoy the classic humor of Mark Twain in the first couple paragraphs, even if you don't read the rest.

http://www.paulgraham.com/cornpone.html
    Excellent resource, Citizen, and a wonderful explanation of the downward trend all societies tend to follow until beset by a perspective-changing calamity:

"A new thing in costume appears -- the flaring hoopskirt, for example -- and the passers-by are shocked, and the irreverent laugh. Six months later everybody is reconciled; the fashion has established itself; it is admired, now, and no one laughs. Public opinion resented it before, public opinion accepts it now, and is happy in it. Why? Was the resentment reasoned out? Was the acceptance reasoned out? No. The instinct that moves to conformity did the work. It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist." - Mark Twain, Corn-Pone Opinions

But resist we must, for maintaining the high ground is an imperative in our very survival. Another had something similar to say, although his comment was more spiritual in nature. Nevertheless, the principal remains sound: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." - Jesus, Matthew 7:13-14
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

One correction in the last paragraph of the OP.

Here's another beauty: "When Crowder makes the absurd claim that the AR-15 is used in upwards of "99.4% of mass shootings," most of the participants accept that statistic as true. In fact, only 3% of all criminal uses of guns actually involve rifles of any kind."
    Yes, 99.4% is wack (on purpose), but the 3% comparrison is mixing apples / oranges... i.e. mass shootings / all criminal gun use.

I believe the 3% is from FBI statistics on homicides, but could be all gun crime. However that is not mass shootings.

From Gun-Facts: "A decade long study, covering 84 mass public shootings, found that pistols were used 60% of the time. Rifles were used 27%. But that is all types of rifles, and so-called “assault weapons” (such as the AR-15 or civilian versions of the AK-47) are a subset of these."
    [United States Active Shooter Events from 2000 to 2010: Training and Equipment Implications, Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training (ALERRT),Texas State University, 2013]

From a Washington Post article: "Shooters brought an average of four weapons to each shooting; one carried seven guns."

So AR-15 types are a sub-set of the 27% rifles used in mass shootings, and then you have a mix of pistols and rifles brought and used in the mass shootings as well.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by TXOC16 View Post
    I watched the video earlier and, quite frankly, I wish I had back the 15 minutes or so it took to do so. Although Crowder does do some decent stuff, this was not among it. Making ignorant, clueless hoplophobes look like ignorant, clueless hoplophobes is an easy task.
    You look at it the wrong way. He collected their names and addresses.

What better way to know the idiots than to know where to send informational pieces to.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    You look at it the wrong way. He collected their names and addresses.

What better way to know the idiots than to know where to send informational pieces to.
    Frankly, I'm surprised some, if not most, of them didn't pass out at the mere sight of a "real" firearm.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Excellent resource, Citizen, and a wonderful explanation of the downward trend all societies tend to follow until beset by a perspective-changing calamity:
    "A new thing in costume appears -- the flaring hoopskirt, for example -- and the passers-by are shocked, and the irreverent laugh. Six months later everybody is reconciled; the fashion has established itself; it is admired, now, and no one laughs. Public opinion resented it before, public opinion accepts it now, and is happy in it. Why? Was the resentment reasoned out? Was the acceptance reasoned out? No. The instinct that moves to conformity did the work. It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist." - Mark Twain, Corn-Pone Opinions

But resist we must, for maintaining the high ground is an imperative in our very survival. Another had something similar to say, although his comment was more spiritual in nature. Nevertheless, the principal remains sound: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." - Jesus, Matthew 7:13-14
    Oh, my. Ain't that the truth. Some call it sin. Others call it harmful acts--whether against self or others. The irrefutable fact remains that, among all the possible actions in a given situation, only a narrow set of actions leads to life.

Ethics, mores, morals.

For example, support your friend by silence, and confirm him in his unethical course. You keep a friend, but pass up an opportunity to salvage his existence. Will you get another opportunity?

The number of options that leads genuinely to life for any given situation must necessarily be small.

The gate is small. I agree wholeheartedly.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Ya can lead a horse to water...

Crowder who?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare