Thread: The Most Intolerant Wins: The Dictatorship of the Small Minority. N. N. Taleb

The Most Intolerant Wins: The Dictatorship of the Small Minority. N. N. Taleb

I might have titled it, The overweening effect of the intransigent minority. This long essay (book chapter) finds the foundation for the Three Percenters in history. "Unus sed leo: only one but a lion."

Imposing Virtue on Others[ ... ] Let us conjecture that the formation of moral values in society doesn’t come from the evolution of the consensus. No, it is the most intolerant person who imposes virtue on others precisely because of that intolerance. The same can apply to civil rights.
    [Concluding paragraph] Unus sed leo: only one but a lion.
    This large payoff from stubborn courage is not just in the military. The entire growth of society, whether economic or moral, comes from a small number of people. So we close this chapter with a remark about the role of skin in the game in the condition of society. Society doesn’t evolve by consensus, voting, majority, committees, verbose meeting, academic conferences, and polling; only a few people suffice to disproportionately move the needle. All one needs is an asymmetric rule somewhere. And asymmetry is present in about everything.
    Skin in the game - doxastic commitment - is a central concept to Taleb, developed early in a popular book and reappearing here.

https://medium.com/@nntaled/the-most...e15#.hr22nda85

http://nassimtaleb.org/2016/08/intol.../#.V7g6L3g8Kh9

ETA: Late I remembered Mike Rothfeld of Saber Communications and Foundation for Applied Conservative Leadership and his essay on election strategy. (I'll see if I can find it.)

This is not the format that I recall, an essay, but contains the sense of the essay.

https://www.nationalgunrights.org/about-nagr/strategy. Remember Rule #12

ETA: After looking at the site hosting the essay, medium.com, I can heartily recommend it to our more prolix correspondents. If your screed has ever been dismissed TL;DR then maybe Medium.com is for you.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-20-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    You mean the three percenters who make take their living off the backs of the citizen and call it public service.

6a00e54ee7b642883301156faec4c3970c-450wi.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    You mean the three percenters who make take their living off the backs of the citizen and call it public service.
    You must broaden your (reading) horizons.

http://www.thethreepercenters.org/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-20-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    If I broadened my reading horizons any further I wouldn't have time to share my vast knowledge and experience with the participants on this forum that they so much crave.

The intolerant minority resonates well with the Alternative Right

I posted the OP well before I discovered the Alternative Right, and found their principles congruent with Nassim Nicholas Taleb.