Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: I can give her a handgun but not a certain knife?!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Virginia, US
    Posts
    190

    I can give her a handgun but not a certain knife?!

    Guessing that it's getting late in the game to think about what fixes should be considered in next year's session, I fired this off to my 2 reps plus another. Please feel free to chime in or echo with your reps if you agree:

    18.2-309. Furnishing certain weapons to minors; penalty.
    A. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a dirk, switchblade knife or bowie knife, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    B. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

    I'd like to ask you to please work to amend the section above, so that the bladed tools in subsection A also have the same exemptions as handguns do in B, to allow transfers between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

    If I deem my daughter to be trustworthy with a kitchen knife to defend herself at home when alone, but not a firearm, then why can't I choose to trust her with a safer, more effective bowie or dirk?
    If my daughter fancies a dirk or bowie knife at a convention show, why can't I make that choice to get one for her, even if it's just a keepsake?
    If I'm carrying a bowie knife or dirk while fishing or camping, why can't I let her use it for a given task?

    Thank you for the consideration,
    Who's my legislator
    Last edited by ChristCrusader; 08-21-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    *I am not a lawyer. Nothing from me shall be construed as a magic cloak of legal advice. It's ultimately your tucas that's on the line. Keep examining the law anyway. The gov't, made up of people like us, is supposed to work for us, not against us. Let's find, correct, and avoid the wrongs before they're actively used against us, or we become innocently trapped by them. We're to be the masters. Let's vigilantly keep tabs on our servants who seek to rule us.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    These laws should be repealed, not amended....should be your goal.

    I do see your point ... but really, what sporting event employs knifes? Knife throwing? Maybe why its not there ?

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    ...I do see your point ... but really, what sporting event employs knifes? Knife throwing? Maybe why its not there ?
    Hunting and fishing are legitimate sports that require knives. Some knives are more effective than others for the specific tasks, but that's the sportsman's choice.

    A knife is a tool that can be used in most any sport for equipment repair, too.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735
    I played Mumblety-peg in school. Well before 1968. Of course we took our 22 rifles to school also.


  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    I "collected" knives from the time I was 8 yo - included military issue. Played mumblety-peg in grade scholl and took several of the larger knives for show & tell.

    Was gifted my first handgun at14 yo by a nice elderly neighbor lady - was a Spanish .32 cal.

    I carried my rifle team .22 cal home on public transportation when in high school.

    That was a long time ago and in a place far, far away = Omaha.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-22-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    We really saw the anti's push the whole not having a firearm or knife in the 80's. their goal is and was to make sure the youngsters see no reason to have one.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristCrusader View Post
    Guessing that it's getting late in the game to think about what fixes should be considered in next year's session, I fired this off to my 2 reps plus another. Please feel free to chime in or echo with your reps if you agree:

    18.2-309. Furnishing certain weapons to minors; penalty.
    A. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a dirk, switchblade knife or bowie knife, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    B. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

    I'd like to ask you to please work to amend the section above, so that the bladed tools in subsection A also have the same exemptions as handguns do in B, to allow transfers between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

    If I deem my daughter to be trustworthy with a kitchen knife to defend herself at home when alone, but not a firearm, then why can't I choose to trust her with a safer, more effective bowie or dirk?
    If my daughter fancies a dirk or bowie knife at a convention show, why can't I make that choice to get one for her, even if it's just a keepsake?
    If I'm carrying a bowie knife or dirk while fishing or camping, why can't I let her use it for a given task?

    Thank you for the consideration,
    Who's my legislator
    This is absurd! Who would even know about not giving a kid a knife! I had my first at 10, one of my grandfathers Old Timers folders. May I ask when and how you came across this obscure law? Had you given a knife before hand?

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Good to see you back Infidel.

    Still remember the day I met you at Waffle House. Loved the hat.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    This is absurd! Who would even know about not giving a kid a knife! I had my first at 10, one of my grandfathers Old Timers folders. May I ask when and how you came across this obscure law? Had you given a knife before hand?
    infidel, et al., i'm sorry, please re-read A & B of the statute quoted again....

    A. Dirk, or switchblade, or bowie knife...period, end of list & it is a misdemeanor !
    B. handgun...felony !

    sorry, guess i missed the term pocket knives, etc.

    another concept...how, unless johnny/susie take said dirk/switchblade/bowie flash these around threatening others on the playground, ad nauseam, is the kind & nice LE going to know about the minor having them?

    final, w/o expending any time i am confident, those who have reached their majority, are not allowed these types of knives out in public either!

    there are hundreds of statutes that were written after some major event, long forgotten now, which should be reviewed for applicability...is it worth the legislative time ?

    citizens can't get the idiots to debate & pass viable statutes now, and you want them to expend their energy, wrap themselves around the axle, debating merits over a minor getting a dirk, switchblade, or bowie?

    ipse

    no, i do not accept the argument...we have to start somewhere...we cannot even get the sitting congress to address a pending pandemic. the good olde boys in the state's legislators are even worse. (unless of course it is to remove a historical object immediately after nine deaths occur, then the circus wagon got full really fast and the object is now persona...)
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    LOL Whereas I already bought a Henry Golden Boy 22mag to teach him on, and to give to my grandson when he is old enough in MY opinion, I am glad this does NOT apply to family.

    It does NOT take a village or a government to raise a child. It DOES take parents and family.

    The government can kiss my backside. As bad as they have screwed up this country, there is no way I will listen to those idiots about what I can and can't give my grandson !!!!!

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    LOL Whereas I already bought a Henry Golden Boy 22mag to teach him on, and to give to my grandson when he is old enough in MY opinion, I am glad this does NOT apply to family.

    It does NOT take a village or a government to raise a child. It DOES take parents and family.

    The government can kiss my backside. As bad as they have screwed up this country, there is no way I will listen to those idiots about what I can and can't give my grandson !!!!!
    Why keep it specific to family? Why can't you do what you want with your property w/o .govs interference?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Good to see you back Infidel.

    Still remember the day I met you at Waffle House. Loved the hat.
    Which hat is that? I have many I wear regularly. Good to be back, hopefully I can make a dinner or breakfast sometime soon. Monies been tight attending school and not working. Almost finished with my degree!

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Good to see you back Infidel.

    Still remember the day I met you at Waffle House. Loved the hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Which hat is that? I have many I wear regularly. Good to be back, hopefully I can make a dinner or breakfast sometime soon. Monies been tight attending school and not working. Almost finished with my degree!
    The Infidel hat! Always have considered it your trademark.

    The very one that Sears removed from sale because one Muslim was offended and complained. Yours was tan though.
    https://www.jihadwatch.org/2015/10/s...lim-complaints
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Which hat is that? I have many I wear regularly. Good to be back, hopefully I can make a dinner or breakfast sometime soon. Monies been tight attending school and not working. Almost finished with my degree!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pWSwfVDiq8

    You'll be like the scarecrow soon? Impressive. ^^^

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    Not sure about this idea. A "dirk" is basically a short, double-edged sword that comes to a point at about fourteen to sixteen inches, it's only purpose is to kill people by stabbing. A switchblade opens automatically and locks in place by means of the press of a button that actuates a spring. Also designed as a stabbing weapon, and designed for concealed carry, it cannot be legally concealed in Va. even with a CHP, and being in possession of one creates the presumption that you intend to sell it illegally. A bowie knife is generally at least eight but not more than fourteen inches long, excluding the handle and hilt, and is also designed for fighting other people, as well as skinning bear, elk, moose, etc. If you plan to take your daughter to Montana to skin large animals, you could let her use your bowie knife when you get there, I reckon, but we don't have the sorts of animals in Virginia for which such a knife would be required. Even if a cougar were to jump on your back while hiking in the mountains, an ordinary camp knife (I'm thinking fixed-blade, six to eight inches) would work fine if you can keep your head well enough to be able to use it.

    In short, I can't see any reason to give any kid a knife that no one may lawfully carry concealed in Virginia, or whose only real purpose is to kill other people. I'd be interested to know what sporting event one might conceive of a child participating in that would require such a knife.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    --snipped--

    In short, I can't see any reason to give any kid a knife that no one may lawfully carry concealed in Virginia, or whose only real purpose is to kill other people. I'd be interested to know what sporting event one might conceive of a child participating in that would require such a knife.
    ".........discover what makes knife throwing a safe, fun and exciting sport for the entire family.

    http://ikthof.com/

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Demanding a legitimate purpose is the wrong way to view laws, and it's sad that our resident attorney is agreeing with it.

    BTW, as you know, merely collecting is a legitimate purpose. So is: "Hey, that looks cool; I want one."

    "...only real purpose is to kill people?" Really? That's right out of the mouth of Bloomberg's nannies.

    Y'all need to quit trying to be other kids' parents.
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-28-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  18. #18
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Adding to MAC702.... 2nd ammendment applies to ALL arms---- not just firearms!

    You don't need to know what kind of device or tool was used to send this
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  19. #19
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Demanding a legitimate purpose is the wrong way to view laws, and it's sad that our resident attorney is agreeing with it.

    BTW, as you know, merely collecting is a legitimate purpose. So is: "Hey, that looks cool; I want one."

    "...only real purpose is to kill people?" Really? That's right out of the mouth of Bloomberg's nannies.

    Y'all need to quit trying to be other kids' parents.
    Emphasis Mine =1+!

    18.2-309. Furnishing certain weapons to minors; penalty.
    A. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a dirk, switchblade knife or bowie knife, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    B. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.
    Glad the above outdated code doesn't include:
    Swords, Tomahawks, Foils, Sling shots and many other items my kids own.
    Last edited by Marco; 08-30-2016 at 04:16 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The Infidel hat! Always have considered it your trademark.

    The very one that Sears removed from sale because one Muslim was offended and complained. Yours was tan though.
    https://www.jihadwatch.org/2015/10/s...lim-complaints
    No that was my T-shirt that said Infidel. I have two, a little more dingy than tan these days.

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    No that was my T-shirt that said Infidel. I have two, a little more dingy than tan these days.
    In my defense. that was a long time ago and you know what they say about memory being the first thing to go.

    At least I did get the message right.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •