• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I can give her a handgun but not a certain knife?!

ChristCrusader

Guessing that it's getting late in the game to think about what fixes should be considered in next year's session, I fired this off to my 2 reps plus another. Please feel free to chime in or echo with your reps if you agree:

§ 18.2-309. Furnishing certain weapons to minors; penalty.
A. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a dirk, switchblade knife or bowie knife, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
B. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

I'd like to ask you to please work to amend the section above, so that the bladed tools in subsection A also have the same exemptions as handguns do in B, to allow transfers between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

If I deem my daughter to be trustworthy with a kitchen knife to defend herself at home when alone, but not a firearm, then why can't I choose to trust her with a safer, more effective bowie or dirk?
If my daughter fancies a dirk or bowie knife at a convention show, why can't I make that choice to get one for her, even if it's just a keepsake?
If I'm carrying a bowie knife or dirk while fishing or camping, why can't I let her use it for a given task?

Thank you for the consideration,
Who's my legislator

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
These laws should be repealed, not amended....should be your goal.

I do see your point ... but really, what sporting event employs knifes? Knife throwing? Maybe why its not there ?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I do see your point ... but really, what sporting event employs knifes? Knife throwing? Maybe why its not there ?

Hunting and fishing are legitimate sports that require knives. Some knives are more effective than others for the specific tasks, but that's the sportsman's choice.

A knife is a tool that can be used in most any sport for equipment repair, too.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I played Mumblety-peg in school. Well before 1968. Of course we took our 22 rifles to school also.

$_35.JPG

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I "collected" knives from the time I was 8 yo - included military issue. Played mumblety-peg in grade scholl and took several of the larger knives for show & tell.

Was gifted my first handgun at14 yo by a nice elderly neighbor lady - was a Spanish .32 cal.

I carried my rifle team .22 cal home on public transportation when in high school.

That was a long time ago and in a place far, far away = Omaha.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

We really saw the anti's push the whole not having a firearm or knife in the 80's. their goal is and was to make sure the youngsters see no reason to have one.

Infidel

Guessing that it's getting late in the game to think about what fixes should be considered in next year's session, I fired this off to my 2 reps plus another. Please feel free to chime in or echo with your reps if you agree:

A. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a dirk, switchblade knife or bowie knife, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
B. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

I'd like to ask you to please work to amend the section above, so that the bladed tools in subsection A also have the same exemptions as handguns do in B, to allow transfers between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

If I deem my daughter to be trustworthy with a kitchen knife to defend herself at home when alone, but not a firearm, then why can't I choose to trust her with a safer, more effective bowie or dirk?
If my daughter fancies a dirk or bowie knife at a convention show, why can't I make that choice to get one for her, even if it's just a keepsake?
If I'm carrying a bowie knife or dirk while fishing or camping, why can't I let her use it for a given task?

Thank you for the consideration,
Who's my legislator

This is absurd! Who would even know about not giving a kid a knife! I had my first at 10, one of my grandfathers Old Timers folders. May I ask when and how you came across this obscure law? Had you given a knife before hand?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good to see you back Infidel.

Still remember the day I met you at Waffle House. Loved the hat.

solus

This is absurd! Who would even know about not giving a kid a knife! I had my first at 10, one of my grandfathers Old Timers folders. May I ask when and how you came across this obscure law? Had you given a knife before hand?

infidel, et al., i'm sorry, please re-read A & B of the statute quoted again....

A. Dirk, or switchblade, or bowie knife...period, end of list & it is a misdemeanor !
B. handgun...felony !

sorry, guess i missed the term pocket knives, etc.

another concept...how, unless johnny/susie take said dirk/switchblade/bowie flash these around threatening others on the playground, ad nauseam, is the kind & nice LE going to know about the minor having them?

final, w/o expending any time i am confident, those who have reached their majority, are not allowed these types of knives out in public either!

there are hundreds of statutes that were written after some major event, long forgotten now, which should be reviewed for applicability...is it worth the legislative time ?

citizens can't get the idiots to debate & pass viable statutes now, and you want them to expend their energy, wrap themselves around the axle, debating merits over a minor getting a dirk, switchblade, or bowie?

ipse

no, i do not accept the argument...we have to start somewhere...we cannot even get the sitting congress to address a pending pandemic. the good olde boys in the state's legislators are even worse. (unless of course it is to remove a historical object immediately after nine deaths occur, then the circus wagon got full really fast and the object is now persona...)

va_tazdad

LOL Whereas I already bought a Henry Golden Boy 22mag to teach him on, and to give to my grandson when he is old enough in MY opinion, I am glad this does NOT apply to family.

It does NOT take a village or a government to raise a child. It DOES take parents and family.

The government can kiss my backside. As bad as they have screwed up this country, there is no way I will listen to those idiots about what I can and can't give my grandson !!!!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
LOL Whereas I already bought a Henry Golden Boy 22mag to teach him on, and to give to my grandson when he is old enough in MY opinion, I am glad this does NOT apply to family.

It does NOT take a village or a government to raise a child. It DOES take parents and family.

The government can kiss my backside. As bad as they have screwed up this country, there is no way I will listen to those idiots about what I can and can't give my grandson !!!!!

Why keep it specific to family? Why can't you do what you want with your property w/o .govs interference?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good to see you back Infidel.

Still remember the day I met you at Waffle House. Loved the hat.

Which hat is that? I have many I wear regularly. Good to be back, hopefully I can make a dinner or breakfast sometime soon. Monies been tight attending school and not working. Almost finished with my degree!
The Infidel hat! Always have considered it your trademark.

The very one that Sears removed from sale because one Muslim was offended and complained. Yours was tan though.
https://www.jihadwatch.org/2015/10/sears-to-stop-selling-infidel-hats-after-muslim-complaints

user

Accomplished Advocate
Not sure about this idea. A "dirk" is basically a short, double-edged sword that comes to a point at about fourteen to sixteen inches, it's only purpose is to kill people by stabbing. A switchblade opens automatically and locks in place by means of the press of a button that actuates a spring. Also designed as a stabbing weapon, and designed for concealed carry, it cannot be legally concealed in Va. even with a CHP, and being in possession of one creates the presumption that you intend to sell it illegally. A bowie knife is generally at least eight but not more than fourteen inches long, excluding the handle and hilt, and is also designed for fighting other people, as well as skinning bear, elk, moose, etc. If you plan to take your daughter to Montana to skin large animals, you could let her use your bowie knife when you get there, I reckon, but we don't have the sorts of animals in Virginia for which such a knife would be required. Even if a cougar were to jump on your back while hiking in the mountains, an ordinary camp knife (I'm thinking fixed-blade, six to eight inches) would work fine if you can keep your head well enough to be able to use it.

In short, I can't see any reason to give any kid a knife that no one may lawfully carry concealed in Virginia, or whose only real purpose is to kill other people. I'd be interested to know what sporting event one might conceive of a child participating in that would require such a knife.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

In short, I can't see any reason to give any kid a knife that no one may lawfully carry concealed in Virginia, or whose only real purpose is to kill other people. I'd be interested to know what sporting event one might conceive of a child participating in that would require such a knife.
".........discover what makes knife throwing a safe, fun and exciting sport for the entire family.

http://ikthof.com/

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Demanding a legitimate purpose is the wrong way to view laws, and it's sad that our resident attorney is agreeing with it.

BTW, as you know, merely collecting is a legitimate purpose. So is: "Hey, that looks cool; I want one."

"...only real purpose is to kill people?" Really? That's right out of the mouth of Bloomberg's nannies.

Y'all need to quit trying to be other kids' parents.

Last edited:

Marco

Demanding a legitimate purpose is the wrong way to view laws, and it's sad that our resident attorney is agreeing with it.

BTW, as you know, merely collecting is a legitimate purpose. So is: "Hey, that looks cool; I want one."

"...only real purpose is to kill people?" Really? That's right out of the mouth of Bloomberg's nannies.

Y'all need to quit trying to be other kids' parents.
Emphasis Mine =1+!

Glad the above outdated code doesn't include:
Swords, Tomahawks, Foils, Sling shots and many other items my kids own.

Last edited:

Infidel