Thread: Gun rights more important than controlling gun ownership: Poll, Pew Research Center

Gun rights more important than controlling gun ownership: Poll, Pew Research Center

Pew Research Center polling released Friday that showed votersí general views on guns vary widely based on whether they support Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton for president.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...wnership-poll/

http://www.people-press.org/2016/08/...2016-campaign/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-26-2016 at 04:44 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Garbage in, garbage out.

These polls are based on emotion not on facts.

My fact is your fancy.

Before the calculus of logic and statistics, empirical events spread across space and time, out of the sight of an individual, were called "probable truths", and two witnesses of sufficient stature established proof.

Read and understand The Science of Conjecture: Evidence and Probability Before Pascal by James Franklin

https://www.amazon.com/Science-Conje.../dp/0801871093

sorry nightmare, fancy mathematical or higher function calculations are not needed when the whole bloody survey population was, quote: among 2,010 adults, including 1,567 registered voters...unquote (http://www.people-press.org/2016/08/...2016-campaign/) and lack of geographic survey location is absolutely, unequivocally, nonsense!!

so they asked questions of survey population who were 18 yo but haven't registered to vote or they are felons or did they conduct the survey in a cemetery via seance..

further, nice to see you are still pushing your tome...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    sorry nightmare, fancy mathematical or higher function calculations are not needed when the whole bloody survey population was, quote: among 2,010 adults, including 1,567 registered voters...unquote (http://www.people-press.org/2016/08/...2016-campaign/) and lack of geographic survey location is absolutely, unequivocally, nonsense!!

so they asked questions of survey population who were 18 yo but haven't registered to vote or they are felons or did they conduct the survey in a cemetery via seance..

further, nice to see you are still pushing your tome...

ipse
    Once YOU accept the premise of frequentist statistics and of descriptive statistics then YOU have a long hard technical argument to reject the premise of a survey of a sample as representative of a population. And hand waving only works in a basic classroom setting.

If it was so easy then why is Pew getting paid for it and you are not, neither is Since9.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    People still believe the Emperor is wearing New Clothes.

Nurse, eye bleach! Statum!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Once YOU accept the premise of frequentist statistics and of descriptive statistics then YOU have a long hard technical argument to reject the premise of a survey of a sample as representative of a population. And hand waving only works in a basic classroom setting.

If it was so easy then why is Pew getting paid for it and you are not, neither is Since9.
    as you have quoted previously, (if you are getting the credit ~ warranted on not!) the concept of the big lie comes into play.

i am sure the tomes you have absorbed frequently mention the term validity, wiki quote: Validity is the extent to which a concept, conclusion or measurement is well-founded and corresponds accurately to the real world. unquote.

therefore, have you knowledge:
    1. how many questions there were?
    2. where were they asked ~ immediately outside a mall's restroom area or telephonically bright and early or early/late evening or?
    3. about if the survey questions were appropriately validated and reviewed?
    4. where the survey questions were asked and if they were in areas which allow firearms ~ Chicago?, California? NJ? MA? SC? oh i know the survey participants were New York city's citizens? or in SES depressed areas where citizens cannot afford firearms? or heaven forbid the 2.k individuals attending a bloomberg/brady conference!!

those are but four of the questions that immediately come from a rudimentary concept called critical thinking !!

now, as for getting paid for conducting the survey...how much money does hillary & bill get from speeches to line their pockets, er their foundation?

finally, 2K sheeple purported interviewed out of 324,227,000 (2016) adults produces a high & repeatable reliability in your survey you are vouching for, especially since in 2014, 59% adults reported they are registered to vote and 38.5% reported they did not vote in 2014 elections.

so tell me again how this relates to the real world, eh...glad i am a cynic w/exceptional critical thinking skills so i am not like some who accept this kinda crap as statistically viable...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    There is a quote attributed to Mark Twain that seems to fit here.

Twain was rumored to have said: "There are lies, damned lies, then there are statistics!"
    That's right.....and just noticed your cool avatar ... this new?

Damned lies and ignorant attributions

There is a quote attributed to Mark Twain that seems to fit here. Twain was rumored to have said:"There are lies, damned lies, then there are statistics
    Misattributed to Twain.

Twain did popularize this aphorism. Twain's attribution [my emphasis] is from his Autobiography, Vol. I, p. 246: Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics".

A quotation without citation to context is like a day without sunshine. I quit editing AmaXon's Goodreads[sic sarcasm] for their refusal to require citations with quotations.

The Wikipedia even has an article on the aphorism with twenty external citations and references.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies...and_statistics

One's literacy is belied by the inability to detect a misattribution (due to lack of familiarity with the author) or the use of a quote wildly out of context.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-27-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Yes or No: Do you believe that citizens have a right to carry a properly holstered handgun in public?

Then again, simple questions often lead to complicated punditry.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Yes or No: Do you believe that citizens have a right to carry a properly holstered handgun in public? Then again, simple questions often lead to complicated punditry.
    TRUMP the pundits! TRUMP the establishment. TRUMP 2016. Alt-Right

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    TRUMP the pundits! TRUMP the establishment. TRUMP 2016. Alt-Right
    for a learned individual, your snake oil politicking from your donkey drawn cart is getting tedious...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 08-29-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Banned
    Thanks - but no. I've been using it for well over a year. Hhmm - if you're just noticing it, what does that say about your "situational awareness"?
    Welllllllllll .... LOL