• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idiots have zero clue what they are doing...MM bees dead

Ezek

why kill the bees? they don't really have the ability to transmit the virus.

there are plenty of chemicals hazardous to mosquitoes and not bees.

if I was a bee keeper, i'd probably be getting pissed at my colony decimation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In 1986 HTLV-III was reported in mosquitos in Belle Glade, Florida. Then HTLV-III/HIV became AIDS and was forgotten.

ZVD is the new HIV and mosquito injected abortifacient, differing in target subculture only in its selection.

Bee hives/colonies are not "decimated" (one in ten) but extirpated.

The Roman Legions would punish a a community by lining up the males capable of bearing arms and kill every tenth man.

True enough, but hardly any consolation for either the beekeepers or families of those impacted.

Consider also that the modern meaning has evolved to include slaughter, massacre.
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/decimated

Last edited:

Ezek

Nor has mine, though I use an antiquarian and low tech version, but the youngsters have become dependent on theirs' that may not be an authorized edition.

ATM local cuckservative radio is covering the job market numbers, might the two dots be connected? Also the historic high Milwaukee homicide rate. We can't fix what we can't speak.

if your a beekeeper, and have multiple colonies of around 1000 bees each, and at the end of the year your colonies have had their population count per colony drop by several hundred where a few colonies are floundering and or dieing and will soon be no more, then I believe "decimated" to be an appropriate word by definition.

utbagpiper

Banned
A sad and avoidable incident. Avoidable in several ways especially when spraying for waterborne mosquitos rather than for insects that bother the same plants bees pollinate.

1-Avoid spraying near bee hives. Hives tend to be easy to spot. Anyone who can't identify a modern bee hive has no business being tasked to commercially spray insecticides.

2-Spray in the evening. Bees are headed home and less likely to be affected. By the time they leave the hive the next morning, the spray has settled onto areas of little interest to honeybees.

3-Give the beekeepers a little notice. It is entirely possible and usually quite practical to seal up the hives for a day to reduce exposure to insecticide if the spraying has to be done during the day and has to be done in areas near hives. You still need to avoid directly spraying the hive itself, but can spray the area around it without too much problem for the bees if they are confined to the hive for the day. On especially hot days confinement can cause problems. But on moderate days, entirely possible and safe to confine the bees inside the hive for 24 hours.

As for colony size, somewhere between 20k and 50k during peak spring summer months; almost all of which are female worker bees, plus 1 queen, and a few hundred male drones. Over the winter the number drops as low 10k (for a hive that survives and comes out of winter healthy; it can drop to zero for hives that don't survive), with no or almost no drones present.

Charles

davidmcbeth

Banned
if your a beekeeper, and have multiple colonies of around 1000 bees each, and at the end of the year your colonies have had their population count per colony drop by several hundred where a few colonies are floundering and or dieing and will soon be no more, then I believe "decimated" to be an appropriate word by definition.

Then afterwards the rest of the bees work harder I assume?