Thread: Illinois Felon claiming Wisconsin CCL arrested in Sherman Park disturbance

Illinois Felon claiming Wisconsin CCL arrested in Sherman Park disturbance

Police arrested man who had fallen out of his wheelchair in a fight in Sherman Park area

Called to a report of a fight this week near the Sherman Park area, Milwaukee police officers found a man who uses a wheelchair on the ground, a handgun lying next to him and 18 baggies of crack cocaine on his lap.

Charles N. Edwards, 52, told officers he has a concealed carry permit, but a check of criminal records revealed that Edwards was convicted of felony burglary in the mid-1990s in Illinois, making him ineligible for a CCW permit or to possess any gun, according to federal court documents.

Edwards is charged in federal court in Milwaukee with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/c...arge/89783140/

No related state charges yet. Does he have a Wisconsin CCL?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Criminals can claim a lot of things but that doesn't make the claims true.

Thinking about claiming to have a CCW having seen any more out of MN if the claim there was true or not.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Police arrested man who had fallen out of his wheelchair in a fight in Sherman Park area

Called to a report of a fight this week near the Sherman Park area, Milwaukee police officers found a man who uses a wheelchair on the ground, a handgun lying next to him and 18 baggies of crack cocaine on his lap.

Charles N. Edwards, 52, told officers he has a concealed carry permit, but a check of criminal records revealed that Edwards was convicted of felony burglary in the mid-1990s in Illinois, making him ineligible for a CCW permit or to possess any gun, according to federal court documents.

Edwards is charged in federal court in Milwaukee with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/c...arge/89783140/

No related state charges yet. Does he have a Wisconsin CCL?
    And the gun control crowd wants to expand background checks. Like it's going to weed out criminals. Ha

Does it matter, does WI have reciprocity with IL?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    IL doesn't have reciprocity with any state. They don't recognize any out of state licenses. Sometimes, they don't recognize their own.
    Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure WI does recognize an Illinois permit tho, we recognize a lot of states while less honor ours. Most likely not one from a felon however. 😎There is probably a joke in there somewhere with felon and Illinois in the same conversation! Is there going to be a black market in carry permits now/next?

Nothing about the crack cocaine?

IL doesn't have reciprocity with any state. They don't recognize any out of state licenses. Sometimes, they don't recognize their own.
    like New Jersey

They recognize your lic as long as you keep your firearm in your vehicle.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Charles N. Edwards was found not concealing, his pistol was found laying on the ground next to him. Edwards has had a Milwaukee, Wisconsin residence registered for previous court actions. Wisconsin is a traditional open carry state wherein a legal gun, legally possessed, can be openly carried without a permission slip.

Much to the chagrin of the elite teeth of the toothless tyrant.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The question was about "reciprocity", my answer about about "reciprocity". These other things may be true, but they are not responsive to the question or to my answer, which was quoted in both of the posts above.

Wisconsin and Illinois DO NOT have reciprocity. Wisconsin accepts an Illinois permit. to carry in Wisconsin, but Illinois will not accept a Wisconsin Conceal Carry License with the one exception of traveling thru in your car, as noted above. Reciprocity, to my understanding would be both states accepting the other's certification, which they do not. The wheelchair dude was in Wisconsin at the time, so whether Illinois accepts a Wisconsin license is a moot point to this conversation. Being a felon most likely makes it all irrelevant anyhow. I don't think I was disagreeing with anything you said? Do I have to ask permission to quote you? Reciprocity would be the act of one party RECOGNIZING and reciprocating something of similar likeness to another party, would it not?

I guess I am confused as to why this is an issue for you? Feel free to clarify for me.

Oh, is it ok if I quote you here?

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reciprocity
    Merriam‑Webster
    reciprocities. 1 : the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence. 2 : a mutual exchange of privileges; specifically : a RECOGNITION!!!!!!! by one of two countries or institutions of the validity of licenses or privileges granted by the other.
    Last edited by Wstar425; 09-06-2016 at 06:38 PM.

I will be glad to do so. When you, or anyone else, quotes another post it is assumed that you intend to expand on that post. In other words that your post will relate to the quoted post. You may want to agree or disagree. You may wish to add some more evidence that supports or opposes the point of view expressed by the OP. It appeared that your post disagreed with my post, since you quoted it. Therefore, I pointed out the reasons and the need for my original post. If you did not disagree with me, I can see no point to your quoting my post. If you did disagree, my re-post was an attempt to show you where you erred. If you did not mean to disagree with my post, why did you quote my post and then contradict it? You could have made your point and just left me out of it and I think that would have been the best course of action. If you desire any further advice on internet courtesy and decorum, please don't hesitate to ask.

While the dictionary definition of "reciprocity" is as you have quoted, when it comes to "reciprocity" between state governments on concealed carry licenses, the "mutual exchange of privileges" must take the form of a written agreement. Two states may recognize the licenses of the other, some states recognize all licenses, but that is not "reciprocity", even when two states do it, unless there is a written agreement. The reason for this should be obvious to all. If states withdraw "recognition" of another states license without written notice, that action could put gun owners from another state in jeopardy. The cancellation of a written agreement would be news and leave a trail on the records and websites of the governments involved. You would never be left without a source for the current facts.
    Thanks for the essay and ethics course.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, but I was expanding on your comment. While it is true that Illinois does not have any firearm carry reciprocity with any other states, what does that have to do with the story? The wheel chair dude was in Milwaukee, which is in Wisconsin. So, what is important here is what kind of an agreement Wiscnsin has with Illinois, notwithstanding the fact that the guy is apparently a felon, and couldn't legally possess a firearm anywhere.

Your last paragraph is unnecessary to the conversation. I spoke to one state RECOGNIZING the certification of another state, which is A definition of reciprocity, which is relevant to your first post that I copied, which seemed to bother you. To get into the need for reciprocity to be in written form contributes to the conversation how?
    Last edited by Wstar425; 09-06-2016 at 08:12 PM.