Thread: Vancouver Clinic

Vancouver Clinic

Within the last 30 days, the Vancouver Clinics in Clark County have posted their entry points with the "Weapons Free Zone" (firearms and knives) placards and prohibited their employees from having firearms in their vehicles while on property. Evidently, a patient was discovered with a pistol during a CT exam and the tech freaked out.
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenJohn View Post
    Evidently, a patient was discovered with a pistol during a CT exam and the tech freaked out.
    Depending on the imaging technology being used it may have been a technically justified freak out. There is a real risk of ferrous objects becoming projectiles due to the very strong magnetic fields employed. A death has been reported due to an unsecured gas cylinder crushing a patient's head.

Hartwig, Valentina; Giovannetti, Giulio; Vanello, Nicola; Lombardi, Massimo; Landini, Luigi; Simi, Silvana (2009). "Biological Effects and Safety in Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Review". International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 6 (6): 1778–1798. doi:10.3390/ijerph6061778. ISSN 1660-4601. PMC 2705217free to read. PMID 19578460.
    Aristotle describes the modes of persuasion in his Rhetoric as Ethos, Logos, Kairos and Pathos. Don’t be pathetic or, worse, bathetic! Alexander Pope 1727 Many Painters who could never hit a Nose or an Eye, have with Felicity copied a Small-Pox, or been admirable at a Toad or a Red-Herring. And seldom are we without Genius's for Still Life, which they can work up and stiffen with incredible Accuracy. Peri Bathous vi

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Almost all medical offices/facilities are GFZs, even though they may not be posted as such.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mnrobitaille View Post
    Almost all medical offices/facilities are GFZs, even though they may not be posted as such.
    Could that be because such facilities are dependent on victims?

Somewhere in my file at MCV/VCU there is an scan of my right lower quadrant with the very clear image of a model 60.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

That 60 a Marlin there big guy?

Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by Va_Nemo View Post
    That 60 a Marlin there big guy?

Nemo
    I wasn't that happy. It was a S & W mod 60 with hip grips.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-11-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    I OC into my Dentist all the time. Physician, not so much.

CT scans are not a problem for metal objects, other than possibly blocking imaging of organs that need to be seen. MRI's have the magnetic issues and no metal is allowed in the room, ferrous or not generally speaking.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    I OC into my Dentist all the time. Physician, not so much.

CT scans are not a problem for metal objects, other than possibly blocking imaging of organs that need to be seen. MRI's have the magnetic issues and no metal is allowed in the room, ferrous or not generally speaking.
    Non-ferrous metals such as gold rings and aluminum belt buckels have never been an issue with MRIs for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    CT is the abbreviation for Computerized Tomography that is an image processing technology that says nothing of the source of the image.

The first common image source was a matrix of X-ray images that committed significant radiation exposure. Much more common now-a-days are Magnetic Resonance Imaging - MRI - technologies, and they are quite varied but common in the use of high strength magnetic fields.
    Aristotle describes the modes of persuasion in his Rhetoric as Ethos, Logos, Kairos and Pathos. Don’t be pathetic or, worse, bathetic! Alexander Pope 1727 Many Painters who could never hit a Nose or an Eye, have with Felicity copied a Small-Pox, or been admirable at a Toad or a Red-Herring. And seldom are we without Genius's for Still Life, which they can work up and stiffen with incredible Accuracy. Peri Bathous vi

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Non-ferrous metals such as gold rings and aluminum belt buckels have never been an issue with MRIs for me.
    Any conductive circuit generates EMF in a changing magnetic field. A transformer with aluminum windings works fine. Aluminum and gold will not act differently in an EMP like the initiation and collapse of the MRI field.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Any conductive circuit generates EMF in a changing magnetic field. A transformer with aluminum windings works fine. Aluminum and gold will not act differently in an EMP like the initiation and collapse of the MRI field.
    OK, but neither my aluminum belt buckle nor my gold ring is a transformer.

Note the Chinese spelling on the buckle.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-17-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: fixed

Meme Magic prejudices only the credulous

MRIs can do scary things to metal

I've seen a video of someone attaching a scale to heavy duty web straps, wrapping up a chair in them, and measuring how much pull an MRI exerts. The thing registered over 2,800lbs before the straps broke (it REALLY wanted that chair). Throwing a stapler into an active one will turn each individual staple into an independent projectile capable of going through six inches of ballistic gelatin.

Even if the magnetic suction effect doesn't get you, non-ferrous metals will become antennas for the field. Just imagine magnetic induction sending lots and lots of electrical current through your sensitive piercings. Or worse, finding out the hard way that your gold earring is actually gold plated iron as it rips out of your ear at bullet-like velocities.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    I've seen a video of someone attaching a scale to heavy duty web straps, wrapping up a chair in them, and measuring how much pull an MRI exerts. The thing registered over 2,800lbs before the straps broke (it REALLY wanted that chair). Throwing a stapler into an active one will turn each individual staple into an independent projectile capable of going through six inches of ballistic gelatin.

Even if the magnetic suction effect doesn't get you, non-ferrous metals will become antennas for the field. Just imagine magnetic induction sending lots and lots of electrical current through your sensitive piercings. Or worse, finding out the hard way that your gold earring is actually gold plated iron as it rips out of your ear at bullet-like velocities.
    Ear? Oh, so pedestrian. LOL a "prince Albert" certainly may drag a person to the wall violently!

You don't need to know what kind of device or tool was used to send this
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Ear? Oh, so pedestrian. LOL a "prince Albert" certainly may drag a person to the wall violently!

sorry a PA would rip out easier than an ear ring as skin is different...therefore no dragging would be apparent

and the video held in awe is showing the equipment being used at full energy at worse case scenario !

ipse

added, the gentleman from utah is personally enlightened enough to be able to articlulate about jewelry of such a personal nature...
    Last edited by solus; 09-18-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    Don't wear your freedom like a yoke and chains...

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    sorry a PA would rip out easier than an ear ring as skin is different...therefore no dragging would be apparent

and the video held in awe is showing the equipment being used at full energy at worse case scenario !

ipse

added, the gentleman from utah is personally enlightened enough to be able to articlulate about jewelry of such a personal nature...
    Not so at all as I have no such personal knowledge so will not challenge you on something of which you've now demonstrated such personal and detailed experience

RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"