• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kent State University Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk - Sept 24, noon

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
With all the "excitement" of the legal goings-on with the St. Louis Zoo, I forgot to post about this Walk. :(

https://www.facebook.com/events/152845551786509/

From the Facebook "About" section:

This walk follows in the footsteps of walks conducted in 2014, 2015, and 2016 at and *ON* the campuses of the University of Cincinnati, The Ohio State University, the University of Akron, Bowling Green State University, and Miami University. Links to those walks will be placed at the bottom of this post at a later time.

Long guns are welcome **with slings and proper muzzle control**, as well as pistols, and *if your organization endorses the Walk*, feel free to pass out literature.

* ARMED student participation is being worked on. *

Kent, Ohio is a pretty college town, and unfortunately the campus was the site where four college students were killed (and others wounded) by members of the Ohio National Guard in May of 1970 - when I was in the fifth grade. I'm working on something special for this Walk to explain the events of the time to Walk participants and others.

** In recognition that this is a educational, interactive, *public relations* walk, please leave “Don’t Tread on Me!”, “From My Cold Dead Hands!”, "3%", etc. flags/clothing, camo, grungy clothes, and signage at home. **

The purpose of the Walk is to inform and engage college students and the public about the right to keep and bear arms, including discussing how those rights are diminished by various laws - for instance, by making college campuses Criminal Empowerment Zones.

You, students, and the general public will get the most from this event by your being willing to engage people in conversation, by listening and responding, not by walking by or by saying sternly "It's my RIGHT!" when asked why you're participating.

If you've not attended a prior Walk, take a look at the links below. There are **videotapes** of portions of every walk except the initial walk (at the University of Cincinnati) - but UC Walk page has tons of discussion and conversation.

If you've not done anything like this before, you simply MUST come! ;-) Children are welcome and encouraged.

** PARKING **: in the lot in front of the Student Center/Athletic & Convocation Center at Summit St. & Risman Drive.

Parking map: http://tinyurl.com/j8oat4d

** LUNCH **: Plans now finalized. Eating & fellowship will take place after we tour the KSU campus, and some of the non-campus streets.

I will post more as things develop, including and especially SAFETY.

Feel free to ask questions in the meanwhile, and I hope to see you there.

LINKS to prior Walks:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1701346233480167/ Miami University Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk (includes a video) – April 30, 2016 (Oxford, Ohio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDadC5l3OSU MU video

https://www.facebook.com/events/545388728974115/ Bowling Green State University Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk (includes a video) – April 16, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm9LfgsyefM&feature=youtu.be BGSU video

https://www.facebook.com/events/1592187871040889/ University of Akron Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk (includes a video) - April 25, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_2XaaAaXk&feature=youtu.be UA video

https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421 Ohio State University (Columbus) Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk (includes a video) – April 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojQTROOo9Y OSU video

https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838 (University of Cincinnati) Cincinnati Open Carry//Firearm Education Walk - April 12, 2014

**** This Walk is NOT sponsored, endorsed, sanctioned, etc. by Kent State University, Ohio's gun rights or "gun rights" groups, or anyone else *unless specifically stated or advertised* - it's my event. ****

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Bad news received today

>> **NO** armed KSU-student participation @ KSU <<

ARMED **non-KSU students** are welcome, as are UNARMED KSU students - empty holsters or no holsters!

I finally wrote to KSU President Beverly Warren this afternoon (2:30 PM), after multiple attempts to receive any kind of response from Jennifer Kulics (Dean of Students at KSU) regarding my request that the university, *like every other university has done, where applicable*, waive enforcement of the code of student conduct for armed students who wished to lawfully participate in the Walk.

At approximately 5:30 PM, Ms. Kulics responded: "Good evening, and I appreciate your willingness to take the time to contact me as well as other members of our university community.

The university has the obligation to enforce its policies as codified in the Ohio Administrative code. One of which is our dangerous weapons policy. The university will not be suspending this policy or the code of student conduct for this or any other event. We look forward to cooperating with you on September 24th."

I have notified the media, and shared with them some initial thoughts:

- Rather than respond in any way to multiple communications, KSU has finally revealed its chosen course. That being said, it's a mystery to me why KSU, **unlike four other Ohio public universities** (the fifth, UA, has no policy against open carry by students on UA's grounds), chose not to waive enforcement of its code of student conduct for students who wished to participate in this Walk while lawfully armed.

- KSU's students are poorer because of this decision, not unlike other governmental decisions which restrict the choices of individuals under penalty of criminal or other sanctions.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Banned dangerous weapons? Really?

So no vehicles, fertilizer, or household chemicals will be allowed?

Would make more sense to ban bad people who will do bad things. That has worked so well other places.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Banned dangerous weapons? Really?

So no vehicles, fertilizer, or household chemicals will be allowed?

Would make more sense to ban bad people who will do bad things. That has worked so well other places.
Your post got me thinking... ;)

KSU can only refuse to allow *their* students to participate while armed - but they have no control over college students from other colleges, whether public or private.

So, I've modified my post above as well as the Facebook page to make it clear that ARMED non-KSU students are cordially invited. If enough show up for the Walk, it will put an even finer point on KSU's hypocrisy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Your post got me thinking... ;)

KSU can only refuse to allow *their* students to participate while armed - but they have no control over college students from other colleges, whether public or private.

So, I've modified my post above as well as the Facebook page to make it clear that ARMED non-KSU students are cordially invited. If enough show up for the Walk, it will put an even finer point on KSU's hypocrisy.
That is the power of positive stinking. :) ...no that is not a typo

solus

open invitation to the pink pistols & other glbt entities?

how bout contacting the person of colour WW talked about of late to see if they have locals who might wish to participate?

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
open invitation to the pink pistols & other glbt entities?

how bout contacting the person of colour WW talked about of late to see if they have locals who might wish to participate?

ipse
Yes, there is an open invitation to all, but I know of no other place to post about the Walk except the newly created Pink Pistols forum: http://forum.pinkpistols.org/index.php

I don't know what you're referring to regarding "a person of colour WW talked about"

solus

i am smarter than this forum's bloody search mechanism...HA...

NATIONAL AFRICAN AMERICAN GUN ASSOCIATION

Philip Smith is the founder.

http://www.theolympian.com/news/nati...e89861312.html
SNIP

WASHINGTON — July 15 2016

In February 2015, Philip Smith started a Facebook group to make space for the often-overlooked concerns of law-abiding, license-carrying gun owners who happen to be African-American.

Smith was tired of feeling conspicuous as the only black guy at the gun ranges he visited. Surely, he thought, there must be others out there, dealing with the same suspicions he faced when passersby glimpsed the Glock on his hip.

A year and a half later, Smith counts more than 11,000 members, representing all 50 states.

Smith’s forum reflects what researchers see as growing interest among African Americans in gun ownership. But becoming a black licensed gun owner is not a risk-free prospect, a fact brought to light this month by the police shooting of Philando Castile, who had a permit to carry a concealed weapon when he was shot in his car July 6, and by the presence at a Dallas rally of perhaps 30 marchers July 7 openly carrying their rifles. Dallas police mistakenly labeled a black licensed gun owner as a “person of interest” after gunman opened fire, killing five police officers.

Despite the championing in Congress of gun restrictions by black legislators, many African-Americans now see gun ownership as an important civil rights cause, in the spirit of abolitionist Frederick Douglass’ comment in 1867 that a man’s rights lay in three boxes: “the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” In African-American gun groups like Smith’s, members are expressing a mix of fear and defiance over the incidents.

. . .

“We have a lot of work to do,” Smith said. “We have to buckle down and work for full Second Amendment rights for African-American men and women. We work, we pay taxes and we’re not going to take this second-class treatment anymore. But one person can’t do it. It has to be done by a community.”

whole commentary is here...http://vb.opencarry.org/forums/show...rs-bearing-arms-is-a-civil-rights-issue/page2

ipse

Last edited by a moderator:

solus

Tomorrow is the big day!!!!!

alas, i must miss the festivities...got roped into a last minute 4 day dog sitting exercise in raleigh...but oktoberfest is being held in cary and i will hoist a stein (or two) of dunkle in your direction.

best to you all on the walk...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
alas, i must miss the festivities...got roped into a last minute 4 day dog sitting exercise in raleigh...but oktoberfest is being held in cary and i will hoist a stein (or two) of dunkle in your direction.

best to you all on the walk...

ipse
Presume then that you will not be in attendance at breakfast tomorrow.

solus

Presume then that you will not be in attendance at breakfast tomorrow.

the breakfast run is but a six hour plus/minus span away from the dogs, allowing me to get back to walk the dogs again in a resonable amount of time, then venture to the Oktoberfest in cary for a couple of hours or so.

kent state festivities are a weekend excursion since it is an 9+ hour (unless you get wrapped in traffic in greensboro for 3 hours at 2230L due to 3 of the four lanes being closed) one way jaunt which was done as recently as labour day in the extravaganza buckeye road trip where i cover the majority of the state several times.

so Inshallah, i shall see your smile in the morn...

ipse

added...unless you are cancelling due to a lack of interest per se?

Last edited:

Brian D.

It appears the weather in Kent tomorrow will be 75 degrees and sunny in the early afternoon. Sounds about perfect! By the way I was mentioning this to a casual acquaintance that isn't really a "gun guy". He did recall our previous walks at the University of Cincinnati and Miami University. He said those walks had put him solidly on our side, before he hadn't really thought about the stupidity of gun/carry prohibitions. I expect we've reached a good number of folks with these walks.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
... By the way I was mentioning this to a casual acquaintance that isn't really a "gun guy". He did recall our previous walks at the University of Cincinnati and Miami University. He said those walks had put him solidly on our side, before he hadn't really thought about the stupidity of gun/carry prohibitions. ...
Cool! You'll have to tell me about him/that.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Kent State e-mail to students, faculty & staff

"A group that has led open-carry walks at other Ohio campuses plans to lead such a walk at Kent State University's Kent Campus from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24.

Ohio law permits people to openly carry weapons on public property, which includes Kent State campuses.

The university's policy prohibiting students, staff and faculty from possessing weapons anywhere on university property remains in effect.

The group will not enter any university buildings carrying weapons. Kent State police officers will be in close proximity to the walk in order to ensure safety and protect the rights of all, including walk participants.

This group has held open-carry walks without incident at other campuses, including the University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University and the University of Akron."

Unsurprisingly, they didn’t mention the following:

Kent State, **unlike FIVE other public university campuses where I have conducted these Walks**, refused to waive their code of conduct for students from KSU who wanted to participate in the Walk while armed. Their 'legal' explanation (below, and received at long-last) was laughable.

So, if you're not a KSU student, faculty member or employee, COME ARMED (or not, your choice).

KSU response regarding armed student participation in the Walk:

"Good evening, and I appreciate your willingness to take the time to contact me as well as other members of our university community.

The university has the obligation to enforce its policies as codified in the Ohio Administrative code. One of which is our dangerous weapons policy. The university will not be suspending this policy or the code of student conduct for this or any other event. We look forward to cooperating with you on September 24th."

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
It was a great walk. There were some demonstrators, flower children no less. Flowers not bullets. I'm sure BB62 will be along to fill in all the details, after all, he was the organizer.

JustaShooter

It was a great walk. There were some demonstrators, flower children no less. Flowers not bullets.

Indeed, it was a great walk - my first chance to attend one of BB62's walks and other than the delay starting due to a significant traffic jam keeping BB62 and others from arriving on time I can't imagine how it could have been better.

BTW, color of law, I'm sure we met since I think I talked to everyone who was there, but I didn't manage to put face to forum handle. Perhaps next time.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

Brian D.

Glad I took part as well. Just wish we weren't sort of stuck with doing these things on Saturdays when the campus greens or sort of low on students and staff to interact with, but it's the nature of the beast for us grass roots people with (ick) real world jobs and such.