Thread: Out-of-State Carry in Chicago?

Out-of-State Carry in Chicago?

My wife and I both have CPLs (we're Michigan residents) and will be in Chicago on Monday. We know that its ok to carry inside our vehicle, but we don't wish to leave any firearms in our parked vehicle once we reach our destination. It is a day trip so we won't have a hotel room for safe-keeping.

Are there any means of legally carrying a pistol on our person such as in a locked case? We'd be ok if the pistol was unloaded (if need be). What is the law in Illinois?
    Last edited by OC4me; 09-09-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Out-of-State Carry in Chicago?

You may transport firearms just like any Illinois resident with an FOID card. Since you can not get a FOID as a non resident, the state allows non residents who may legally possess firearms in their home state to transport firearms as long as they are unloaded and in a case.

Ammunition may be in magazines or speed loaders and may be in the same case or container as the firearm, just not inserted in the firearm..

Any case that completely encloses the firearm and has some type of fastener, zipper, Velcro, snaps, clasp etc. does not have to be a hard case. Transport in Illinois does not require any specific destination.

http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinion...ril/109130.pdf
    Last edited by lockman; 09-09-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    You may transport firearms just like any Illinois resident with an FOID card. Since you can not get a FOID as a non resident, the state allows non residents who may legally possess firearms in their home state to transport firearms as long as they are unloaded and in a case.

Ammunition may be in magazines or speed loaders and may be in the same case or container as the firearm, just not inserted in the firearm..

Any case that completely encloses the firearm and has some type of fastener, zipper, Velcro, snaps, clasp etc. does not have to be a hard case. Transport in Illinois does not require any specific destination.

http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinion...ril/109130.pdf
    Thanks lockman! That was spot on and specifically the answer I was looking for. Hope this post helps others, unfortunately, I did not get this in time because we just got back from Chicago. We ended up leaving our firearms (unloaded) in the car but were VERY nervous doing so because (unbeknownst to us beforehand) the parking spot we reserved was a valet-only garage. Happily, all our belongings were as we left them upon our return.
    Last edited by OC4me; 09-12-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Thanks lockman! That was spot on and specifically the answer I was looking for. Hope this post helps others, unfortunately, I did not get this in time because we just got back from Chicago. We ended up leaving our firearms (unloaded) in the car but were VERY nervous doing so because (unbeknownst to us beforehand) the parking spot we reserved was a valet-only garage. Happily, all our belongings were as we left them upon our return.
    I would not speak further regarding the status of your guns while you where in chi-town. They'll try and come for ya if they think you violated their puny laws.

Considering those idiots don't recognize any permit other than their own, there's no way for an out of stater to carry anywhere in IL. Hence why I don't go there, especially Chicago. Not worth the risk.
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    Considering those idiots don't recognize any permit other than their own, there's no way for an out of stater to carry anywhere in IL. Hence why I don't go there, especially Chicago. Not worth the risk.
    Many district attnys refused to enforce no-carry laws before ... you may wish to touch base with their offices that their jurisdiction maybe included in your travels.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    As I understood it, isn't there an exemption in the recently-passed concealed carry law in IL that allows for vehicle carry (yes, I know it's not much) for non-residents who have a license from their state of residence? The way I read 430 ILCS 66/40 (e) it looks to me as if that is the case:

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Best bet. Go to border. Stop, drop and moon Illinois for their ridiculous laws and criminal governors. Then go back home.

Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    As I understood it, isn't there an exemption in the recently-passed concealed carry law in IL that allows for vehicle carry (yes, I know it's not much) for non-residents who have a license from their state of residence? The way I read 430 ILCS 66/40 (e) it looks to me as if that is the case:
    This won't help either: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...ms%22&scisbd=2

7th circuit says IL law preventing 45 states' citizens from even applying for IL CCW is OK.