Thread: Chesterfield school bus driver calls police after woman waves gun outside home

Chesterfield school bus driver calls police after woman waves gun outside home

That's the sensational headline from WTVR.com. Sounds like brandishing, except ...

Chesterfield Police were called to the Deerwood neighborhood Thursday by a bus driver who didn't want kids to get off, after she saw a woman come outside a home with a gun.

Police then surrounded bus 645 in a cul-de-sac on Mapleridge Court.

Police say after further investigation, they determined it was a BB gun, so the woman was not charged.

"Especially when it involves kids,” said parent Michael Gammell. “You want to see the reaction and response."

"Sometimes you can't be too sure out here,” Gammell said. “What if it wasn't a BB gun and she tripped and fell and a shot went off? Someone could've been hit... Overkill [in a response] isn't always bad."
    So basically, "better safe than sorry" ... what a sorry excuse for post-modern parenting.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    That's the sensational headline from WTVR.com. Sounds like brandishing, except ...

So basically, "better safe than sorry" ... what a sorry excuse for post-modern parenting.
    So do we now have an exception for it only being a BB gun?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Police say after further investigation, they determined it was a BB gun, so the woman was not charged.
    So, she would be charged if she had a .22? .38S? .45? For sure if she had a.50 cal.

We live in a sick society.
    Last edited by color of law; 09-09-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Elsewhere I saw a long gun described as a ".223 ranch rifle," quite accurately I thought. It was used in defense against trespassers in Texas border country.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post

Always wave you single shot rifle about when picking up your kids or when the bus drops off those kids. That's the ticket !

Odd, they surrounded the place? No rambos willing to just rush in? LOL

Founder's Club Member
    Hang on a second. The woman with the BB gun was in her own yard?

Jeezus! When I was an early teen, my bus driver--a woman--had a revolver. (Not on the bus, mind you.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Police were called to the Deerwood neighborhood Thursday by a bus driver who didn't want kids to get off, after she saw a woman come outside a home with a gun.

If she was so worried why not leave the area?
    Last edited by Wolf_shadow; 09-09-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Police were called to the Deerwood neighborhood Thursday by a bus driver who didn't want kids to get off, after she saw a woman come outside a home with a gun.

If she was so worried why not leave the area?

She was not quite as smart as her bus tires?

Nemo

I have done the same thing as the bus driver. One bright sunny day not long ago, I saw one kid (middle school age maybe) waving a pistol while chasing another kid down the street past my house. Damn right I called the cops.

When someone is handling what appears to be a firearm in a reckless or careless manner, a call to 911 is certainly warranted.

The woman with the BB gun should consider herself lucky that she wasn't shot by another acting in self-defense.

You all certainly recall the recent case (in Texas?) of a 12 year old pointing a toy gun who was shot dead by a cop responding to a MWAG call?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    I have done the same thing as the bus driver. One bright sunny day not long ago, I saw one kid (middle school age maybe) waving a pistol while chasing another kid down the street past my house. Damn right I called the cops.

When someone is handling what appears to be a firearm in a reckless or careless manner, a call to 911 is certainly warranted.

The woman with the BB gun should consider herself lucky that she wasn't shot by another acting in self-defense.

You all certainly recall the recent case (in Texas?) of a 12 year old pointing a toy gun who was shot dead by a cop responding to a MWAG call?
    My problem is not calling the cops, or keeping children on the bus.
    Reading the report it appears she remained on scene, instead of leaving area until told area safe.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    My problem is not calling the cops, or keeping children on the bus.
    Reading the report it appears she remained on scene, instead of leaving area until told area safe.
    Well, you know, it could have been worse.

It could have been Henrico.

You are referring to Tamir Rice in Cleveland OH.

Seems to be a semi-rural area. What are the laws that relate to the display of a "firearm" in that area? It seems that individual liberty and private property rights are held in low regard in that area.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

If she was BRANDISHING a BB GUN as if it were an actual firearm (with intent to deceive/threaten), she should be charged/treated as if it were an actual firearm. From a distance, it is very hard to tell a BB gun/airsoft/toy gun (the more realistic ones that have had the tip removed or painted) and can, have, and will get you shot for using them in a threatening manner.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    You are referring to Tamir Rice in Cleveland OH.
    Thank you, half_life1052. I don't know why I guessed Texas.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    If she was BRANDISHING a BB GUN as if it were an actual firearm (with intent to deceive/threaten), she should be charged/treated as if it were an actual firearm. From a distance, it is very hard to tell a BB gun/airsoft/toy gun (the more realistic ones that have had the tip removed or painted) and can, have, and will get you shot for using them in a threatening manner.
    Per reading the linked article in original post the woman exited her home while attempting to intimidate a couple dogs with what has turned out to be a bb gun rifle.
    Certainly could have easily been determined by anyone willing to look that she posed no harm or evil intent toward bus, its passengers, or the driver! IMO

You don't need to know what kind of device or tool was used to send this
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    So do we now have an exception for it only being a BB gun?
    There's no exception - if this had been Henrico, Norfolk, or Alexandria, she'd have been arrested for brandishing - it covers things that the bystanders mistake for weapons.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    There's no exception - if this had been Henrico, Norfolk, or Alexandria, she'd have been arrested for brandishing - it covers things that the bystanders mistake for weapons.
    Like a pointed finger!!!!
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Sadly, User is right:

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/t...ction18.2-282/

Actually, that statute is chilling. Just read it, phrase by phrase, from the viewpoint of, "How could a cop or prosecutor interpret this?"
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-13-2016 at 10:56 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Per reading the linked article in original post the woman exited her home while attempting to intimidate a couple dogs with what has turned out to be a bb gun rifle.
    Certainly could have easily been determined by anyone willing to look that she posed no harm or evil intent toward bus, its passengers, or the driver! IMO

Talk to the guy in VA charged for Brandishing for simply being spotted by a school bus driver moving his gun between his seat/hip and his glove box. Yes, the charges stuck. Yes he appealed and lost. YES he was innocent of doing anything more than I stated. Several of us know the guy. You think some moron won't mistake a BB Gun for a real gun and imagine a threat to the kiddies? Please!
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    Talk to the guy in VA charged for Brandishing for simply being spotted by a school bus driver moving his gun between his seat/hip and his glove box. Yes, the charges stuck. Yes he appealed and lost. YES he was innocent of doing anything more than I stated. Several of us know the guy. You think some moron won't mistake a BB Gun for a real gun and imagine a threat to the kiddies? Please!
    You are right and I too have met him and had dinner with him also. The law does certainly needs to be changed as USER has said.

Last edited by JoeSparky; 09-14-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA