• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield school bus driver calls police after woman waves gun outside home

Repeater

That's the sensational headline from WTVR.com. Sounds like brandishing, except ...

Chesterfield school bus driver calls police after woman waves gun outside home
Chesterfield Police were called to the Deerwood neighborhood Thursday by a bus driver who didn't want kids to get off, after she saw a woman come outside a home with a gun.

Police then surrounded bus 645 in a cul-de-sac on Mapleridge Court.

Police say after further investigation, they determined it was a BB gun, so the woman was not charged.

"Especially when it involves kids,” said parent Michael Gammell. “You want to see the reaction and response."

"Sometimes you can't be too sure out here,” Gammell said. “What if it wasn't a BB gun and she tripped and fell and a shot went off? Someone could've been hit... Overkill [in a response] isn't always bad."

So basically, "better safe than sorry" ... what a sorry excuse for post-modern parenting.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Police say after further investigation, they determined it was a BB gun, so the woman was not charged.
So, she would be charged if she had a .22? .38S? .45? For sure if she had a.50 cal.

We live in a sick society.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hang on a second. The woman with the BB gun was in her own yard?

Jeezus! When I was an early teen, my bus driver--a woman--had a revolver. (Not on the bus, mind you.)

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Police were called to the Deerwood neighborhood Thursday by a bus driver who didn't want kids to get off, after she saw a woman come outside a home with a gun.

If she was so worried why not leave the area?

Last edited:

Va_Nemo

Police were called to the Deerwood neighborhood Thursday by a bus driver who didn't want kids to get off, after she saw a woman come outside a home with a gun.

If she was so worried why not leave the area?

She was not quite as smart as her bus tires?

Nemo

2a4all

I have done the same thing as the bus driver. One bright sunny day not long ago, I saw one kid (middle school age maybe) waving a pistol while chasing another kid down the street past my house. Damn right I called the cops.

When someone is handling what appears to be a firearm in a reckless or careless manner, a call to 911 is certainly warranted.

The woman with the BB gun should consider herself lucky that she wasn't shot by another acting in self-defense.

You all certainly recall the recent case (in Texas?) of a 12 year old pointing a toy gun who was shot dead by a cop responding to a MWAG call?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I have done the same thing as the bus driver. One bright sunny day not long ago, I saw one kid (middle school age maybe) waving a pistol while chasing another kid down the street past my house. Damn right I called the cops.

When someone is handling what appears to be a firearm in a reckless or careless manner, a call to 911 is certainly warranted.

The woman with the BB gun should consider herself lucky that she wasn't shot by another acting in self-defense.

You all certainly recall the recent case (in Texas?) of a 12 year old pointing a toy gun who was shot dead by a cop responding to a MWAG call?
My problem is not calling the cops, or keeping children on the bus.
Reading the report it appears she remained on scene, instead of leaving area until told area safe.

half_life1052

You are referring to Tamir Rice in Cleveland OH.

OC for ME

Seems to be a semi-rural area. What are the laws that relate to the display of a "firearm" in that area? It seems that individual liberty and private property rights are held in low regard in that area.

HeroHog

If she was BRANDISHING a BB GUN as if it were an actual firearm (with intent to deceive/threaten), she should be charged/treated as if it were an actual firearm. From a distance, it is very hard to tell a BB gun/airsoft/toy gun (the more realistic ones that have had the tip removed or painted) and can, have, and will get you shot for using them in a threatening manner.

2a4all

You are referring to Tamir Rice in Cleveland OH.
Thank you, half_life1052. I don't know why I guessed Texas.

JoeSparky

Centurion
If she was BRANDISHING a BB GUN as if it were an actual firearm (with intent to deceive/threaten), she should be charged/treated as if it were an actual firearm. From a distance, it is very hard to tell a BB gun/airsoft/toy gun (the more realistic ones that have had the tip removed or painted) and can, have, and will get you shot for using them in a threatening manner.
Per reading the linked article in original post the woman exited her home while attempting to intimidate a couple dogs with what has turned out to be a bb gun rifle.
Certainly could have easily been determined by anyone willing to look that she posed no harm or evil intent toward bus, its passengers, or the driver! IMO

You don't need to know what kind of device or tool was used to send this

user

Accomplished Advocate
So do we now have an exception for it only being a BB gun?

There's no exception - if this had been Henrico, Norfolk, or Alexandria, she'd have been arrested for brandishing - it covers things that the bystanders mistake for weapons.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Last edited:

HeroHog

Per reading the linked article in original post the woman exited her home while attempting to intimidate a couple dogs with what has turned out to be a bb gun rifle.
Certainly could have easily been determined by anyone willing to look that she posed no harm or evil intent toward bus, its passengers, or the driver! IMO

Talk to the guy in VA charged for Brandishing for simply being spotted by a school bus driver moving his gun between his seat/hip and his glove box. Yes, the charges stuck. Yes he appealed and lost. YES he was innocent of doing anything more than I stated. Several of us know the guy. You think some moron won't mistake a BB Gun for a real gun and imagine a threat to the kiddies? Please!

JoeSparky

Centurion
Talk to the guy in VA charged for Brandishing for simply being spotted by a school bus driver moving his gun between his seat/hip and his glove box. Yes, the charges stuck. Yes he appealed and lost. YES he was innocent of doing anything more than I stated. Several of us know the guy. You think some moron won't mistake a BB Gun for a real gun and imagine a threat to the kiddies? Please!
You are right and I too have met him and had dinner with him also. The law does certainly needs to be changed as USER has said.

Last edited: