Thread: Going against the grain after Orlando shooting, Pink Pistols LGBT group embraces guns

Going against the grain after Orlando shooting, Pink Pistols LGBT group embraces guns

"In the days after 49 people were fatally shot at the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., this summer, Fischer wanted to do something to make his community safer. So he started the West Hollywood chapter of the Pink Pistols — a loosely organized, national LGBT gun group.
    [ ... ]
    It’s a stark contrast to how the overwhelming majority of LGBT activists and organizations responded to the Orlando massacre, which has sparked calls within the community for gun control.

In the wake of the shooting, some gay bars like the Abbey in West Hollywood beefed up security. The same day as the Orlando mass shooting, L.A.’s annual gay pride parade was rattled after a heavily armed man en route to the event was arrested.

For all the anxiety Orlando has caused, many gay activists say becoming armed is not the answer.

“Some people say you need a gun to protect yourself from the bad guys. We just fundamentally disagree with that,” said Rick Zbur, executive director of Equality California. “We don’t want to live in a world where you have to be packing heat to live your daily life."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html

Don't miss the comments, pro and con.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-10-2016 at 05:43 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    --snipped-- We dont want to live in a world where you have to be packing heat to live your daily life."
    Then exit stage left.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I love this quote:

During the class, on a triple-digit day, Bova stood next to Pink Pistols member Elizabeth Southern, trying to get her comfortable with the gun as she practiced drawing it from a holster on her hip. Her back rigid, her shoulders tense, she pulled out the model 1911 pistol and fired, striking a steel plate in the distance. She let out a deep breath, her hands shaking slightly.

Im not used to it being loaded and on me, she said.

I get it, I get it! Bova said. Who walks around with a loaded gun in the holster? Relax.

My response to Instructor Bova - "I do"....
    Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    I love this quote:
    During the class, on a triple-digit day, Bova stood next to Pink Pistols member Elizabeth Southern, trying to get her comfortable with the gun as she practiced drawing it from a holster on her hip. Her back rigid, her shoulders tense, she pulled out the model 1911 pistol and fired, striking a steel plate in the distance. She let out a deep breath, her hands shaking slightly.

Im not used to it being loaded and on me, she said.

I get it, I get it! Bova said. Who walks around with a loaded gun in the holster? Relax.

My response to Instructor Bova - "I do"....
    That is a "till death do us part" statement.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Our Whatcom county OC group have been asked by the local gay community to teach in thier words "our tribe" how to safely use guns.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)