Thread: First Gun for Grandson.. Thoughts, opinions and what was your first hand gun?

First Gun for Grandson.. Thoughts, opinions and what was your first hand gun?

Hi Folks
    My Grandson turns 21 next week, he is decent with a hand gun, does fine when I take him out on the old farm to shot however he possesses small hands..
    He lives in PA and when I visit him I always OC however I will not encourage him to OC until he is more comfortable with his weapon and the PA laws regarding weapons.

Now my quandary, I have always been a S&W guy especially after 2011 when I invested a small fortune in the company..

So what to buy for my GS,, I am looking at the S&W SD 40 VE std.. 14 plus 1 so plenty of rounds... Small and easy for concealment...( striker fired action).

Any owners here of this weapon and is this a good first weapon for self defense?

Thoughts and opinions please...

Regards
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Founder's Club Member
    Why not a grandpa hug and a promise of "x" number of dollars toward what he would like? Or, maybe a promise to go with him to several gun shops to help him find the gun that best suits him and a promise to cover, say, the first $300-400 of the purchase price?

That eliminates the quandary, and ensures he gets a gun that fits his hand, etc.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-10-2016 at 11:45 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Why not a grandpa hug and a promise of "x" number of dollars toward what he would like? Or, maybe a promise to go with him to several gun shops to help him find the gun that best suits him and a promise to cover, say, the first $300-400 of the purchase price?

That eliminates the quandary, and ensures he gets a gun that fits his hand, etc.
    Citizen-- Thank you for the reply, Ill take your suggestion under advisement.
    Regards
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Citizen-- Thank you for the reply, Ill take your suggestion under advisement.
    Regards
    CCJ

Hi Citizen

GS really likes the two S&W model 28 that I inherited from my Granddad, Granddad was a Florida Highway Patrolman during the late sixties, early seventy's... The model 28 is just a super piece of workmanship for its time...and somewhat of a collectors model, both were my first handguns and I promised them to my Son therefore in theory GS will actually possess them at some time...

Do you remember your first hand gun and do you still have said weapon?

Regards
    CCJ

Banned
    http://www.trumanlibrary.org/photographs/61-56.jpg

Might need trouser pockets' enlarged but only one round is needed in some cases.

First handgun I shot was a Remington rolling block in 22RF First one I owned was an colt woodsmen sport target model. if he likes double action revolvers there are some very nice ones out there.

It would be hard to go wrong with a GP100 or L frame smith in 357.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 09-11-2016 at 07:31 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Hi Citizen

GS really likes the two S&W model 28 that I inherited from my Granddad, Granddad was a Florida Highway Patrolman during the late sixties, early seventy's... The model 28 is just a super piece of workmanship for its time...and somewhat of a collectors model, both were my first handguns and I promised them to my Son therefore in theory GS will actually possess them at some time...

Do you remember your first hand gun and do you still have said weapon?

Regards
    CCJ
    Oh! My! I have definitely been making the wrong argument!

A Model 28? Isn't that also known as the Combat Magnum? No matter! The kid definitely has admirable priorities!

Grandpa, I've changed my advice. Buy him the Model 28!! (After making sure it fits his hand and he is committed to learning how to "roll" the trigger on a revolver, of course.)

Wow!! wow! wow! How many grandpa's are lucky enough to get that sort of grand kid?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Get him a Ruger Single Six 22. When he get capable and confident with handling, shooting and accuracy with that, get him something of a larger caliber in a double action wheelgun or semi-auto.

Starting him with something larger and/or more capable of accidental/negligent discharge is imho not in the good idea basket.

Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by Va_Nemo View Post
    Get him a Ruger Single Six 22. When he get capable and confident with handling, shooting and accuracy with that, get him something of a larger caliber in a double action wheelgun or semi-auto.

Starting him with something larger and/or more capable of accidental/negligent discharge is imho not in the good idea basket.

Nemo
    Does not sound like he is a rank beginner from the OP I well stick with a mid size 357.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do