• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Gun for Grandson.. Thoughts, opinions and what was your first hand gun?

countryclubjoe

Hi Folks
My Grandson turns 21 next week, he is decent with a hand gun, does fine when I take him out on the old farm to shot however he possesses small hands..
He lives in PA and when I visit him I always OC however I will not encourage him to OC until he is more comfortable with his weapon and the PA laws regarding weapons.

Now my quandary, I have always been a S&W guy especially after 2011 when I invested a small fortune in the company..

So what to buy for my GS,, I am looking at the S&W SD 40 VE std.. 14 plus 1 so plenty of rounds... Small and easy for concealment...( striker fired action).

Any owners here of this weapon and is this a good first weapon for self defense?

Thoughts and opinions please...

Regards
CCJ

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Why not a grandpa hug and a promise of "x" number of dollars toward what he would like? Or, maybe a promise to go with him to several gun shops to help him find the gun that best suits him and a promise to cover, say, the first $300-400 of the purchase price?

That eliminates the quandary, and ensures he gets a gun that fits his hand, etc.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Why not a grandpa hug and a promise of "x" number of dollars toward what he would like? Or, maybe a promise to go with him to several gun shops to help him find the gun that best suits him and a promise to cover, say, the first $300-400 of the purchase price?

That eliminates the quandary, and ensures he gets a gun that fits his hand, etc.

Citizen-- Thank you for the reply, Ill take your suggestion under advisement.
Regards
CCJ

countryclubjoe

Citizen-- Thank you for the reply, Ill take your suggestion under advisement.
Regards
CCJ

Hi Citizen

GS really likes the two S&W model 28 that I inherited from my Granddad, Granddad was a Florida Highway Patrolman during the late sixties, early seventy's... The model 28 is just a super piece of workmanship for its time...and somewhat of a collectors model, both were my first handguns and I promised them to my Son therefore in theory GS will actually possess them at some time...

Do you remember your first hand gun and do you still have said weapon?

Regards
CCJ

Firearms Iinstuctor

First handgun I shot was a Remington rolling block in 22RF First one I owned was an colt woodsmen sport target model. if he likes double action revolvers there are some very nice ones out there.

It would be hard to go wrong with a GP100 or L frame smith in 357.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hi Citizen

GS really likes the two S&W model 28 that I inherited from my Granddad, Granddad was a Florida Highway Patrolman during the late sixties, early seventy's... The model 28 is just a super piece of workmanship for its time...and somewhat of a collectors model, both were my first handguns and I promised them to my Son therefore in theory GS will actually possess them at some time...

Do you remember your first hand gun and do you still have said weapon?

Regards
CCJ

Oh! My! I have definitely been making the wrong argument!

A Model 28? Isn't that also known as the Combat Magnum? No matter! The kid definitely has admirable priorities!

Grandpa, I've changed my advice. Buy him the Model 28!! (After making sure it fits his hand and he is committed to learning how to "roll" the trigger on a revolver, of course.)

Wow!! wow! wow! How many grandpa's are lucky enough to get that sort of grand kid?

Va_Nemo

Get him a Ruger Single Six 22. When he get capable and confident with handling, shooting and accuracy with that, get him something of a larger caliber in a double action wheelgun or semi-auto.

Starting him with something larger and/or more capable of accidental/negligent discharge is imho not in the good idea basket.

Nemo

Firearms Iinstuctor

Get him a Ruger Single Six 22. When he get capable and confident with handling, shooting and accuracy with that, get him something of a larger caliber in a double action wheelgun or semi-auto.

Starting him with something larger and/or more capable of accidental/negligent discharge is imho not in the good idea basket.

Nemo

Does not sound like he is a rank beginner from the OP I well stick with a mid size 357.