Thread: CNN Confirms Math Is Racist: How data is driving inequality

CNN Confirms Math Is Racist: How data is driving inequality

"It's no surprise that inequality in the U.S. is on the rise. But what you might not know is that math is partly to blame.
    In a new book, "Weapons of Math Destruction," Cathy O'Neil details all the ways that math is essentially being used for evil (my word, not hers).
    From targeted advertising and insurance to education and policing, O'Neil looks at how algorithms and big data are targeting the poor, reinforcing racism and amplifying inequality.
    These "WMDs," as she calls them, have three key features: They are opaque, scalable and unfair."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/tech...ion/index.html
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-11-2016 at 08:48 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    O'Neil, who has a PhD in mathematics from Harvard, has done stints in academia, at a hedge fund during the financial crisis and as a data scientist at a startup. It was there -- in conjunction with work she was doing with Occupy Wall Street -- that she become disillusioned by how people were using data.

"I worried about the separation between technical models and real people, and about the moral repercussions of that separation," O'Neill writes.
    She does not have an agenda.

Of course almost every time the government sets out to right a wrong it ends in a pile of rubbish.

The Cambrian explosion of intellectualism, GreyEnlightenment.com

"One question is: why learn advanced mathematics? This is related to the is-ought problem, as posed by Hume. The examples in differential geometry can be difficult and time-consuming, unlike simple calculus, and are best done with computer, not by hand. A single tensor, as found in general relativity, may have dozens of components…writing them out would be taxing. The question is, what do want to do with this knowledge. There is value in learning complicated, abstract math to signal intellect and thus become more popular online, and maybe get consulting work. That alone is very valuable, and is why STEM graduates or graduates from elite schools make so much money and have such god[sic] job prospects compared to everyone else, because such degrees generally require a lot of intelligence to obtain and thus signal competence."

http://greyenlightenment.com/cambria...tellectualism/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.