Thread: Hocking Hills

Hocking Hills

I've rented a cabin for my family in Hocking Hills and I want to know if the property owner can 'legally' restrict open or conceal carry, or even 'ban' guns from the property. I thought hotels and lodging and rentals etc couldn't do this anymore in Ohio since like 08-09 law changes, or am I wrong? Please correct me if I am wrong. I ask because I thought all the cabins were in Wayne State Park and the laws in national parks have changed in regards to guns. Also, doesn't Ohio law preempt all local laws?

Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
    Last edited by Derek Jones; 09-13-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    You asked a question without supplying information that would help.

Do they have some policy or notice posted????

I'm guessing Derek meant the cabins are privately owned and within the boundaries of Wayne National Forest. Totally different entity, many people own property in National Forests and could post as they please. No change in Ohio law would have affected that.

Inholdings, even within NPS. Visited one at Glacier NP.

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

When you rent a cabin you become the tenant
    ORC 2923.126 (C) (3) (B)
    (b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

(c) As used in division (C)(3) of this section:

(i) "Residential premises" has the same meaning as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code, except "residential premises" does not include a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university.

(ii) "Landlord," "tenant," and "rental agreement" have the same meanings as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    There is a lot of property still owned under a land patent. The government can't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    There is a lot of property still owned under a land patent. The government can't touch it.
    Railroad rights of way. They are not returned to the land owners from whom they were arrogated. The state often administers RR right of ways for the benefit of the public.

The Withlacoochee State Trail in Florida is an example.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalou812 View Post
    When you rent a cabin you become the tenant
    ORC 2923.126 (C) (3) (B)
    (b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

(c) As used in division (C)(3) of this section:

(i) "Residential premises" has the same meaning as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code, except "residential premises" does not include a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university.

(ii) "Landlord," "tenant," and "rental agreement" have the same meanings as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code.

Except:

(C) "Residential premises" means a dwelling unit for residential use and occupancy and the structure of which it is a part, the facilities and appurtenances in it, and the grounds, areas, and facilities for the use of tenants generally or the use of which is promised the tenant. "Residential premises" includes a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university. "Residential premises" does not include any of the following:

(3) Tourist homes, hotels, motels, recreational vehicle parks, recreation camps, combined park-camps, temporary park-camps, and other similar facilities where circumstances indicate a transient occupancy;
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5321

Quote Originally Posted by RT48 View Post
    Where in it does it prohibit weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalou812 View Post
    Where in it does it prohibit weapons.
    ORC 2923.126 (C) (3) (B) doesn't apply because the cabin is not a "residential premise" per the law I quoted.