Thread: West Virginia Police Officer Fired for not shooting gun toting man?

West Virginia Police Officer Fired for not shooting gun toting man?

Hi Folks

Please confirm the title of my post... I was driving home when I caught the tail end of the story. Supposedly a police officer was FIRED for not using deadly forced against a man with a gun (fake gun)?

Please say it isn't so.

Regards
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Yes, D. Bass, Weirton terminates officer who did not fire at man with gun.

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Thank you for the link. Another black eye for law enforcement. This shoot first mentality is becoming the norm and not the exception.
    This should be an interesting story to follow, I read where the chief stated that the fired officer was actually fired due in part to other incidents on his record.
    Last edited by countryclubjoe; 09-14-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".

the really sad perspective is the terminated officer did not speak up to his fellow officers to stand at the ready but stand down telling the officers the suspect apparently wanted to die that day.

that he states they were justified deplorable

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    But just then, two other Weirton officers arrived on the scene, Mr. Williams walked toward them waving his gun — later found to be unloaded — between them and Mr. Mader, and one of them shot Mr. Williams’ in the back of the head just behind his right ear, killing him.
    This has me scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    This has me scratching my head.
    Tactical positioning. They just wanted to go home safely after their paid service.

Very interesting article. He was probationary, so apparently could be fired for any/no reason, but I'll bet he could have a defamation case against the city and the police chief for their public comments.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Very interesting article. He was probationary, so apparently could be fired for any/no reason, but I'll bet he could have a defamation case against the city and the police chief for their public comments.
    http://www.sjlaboremploymentblog.com...ination-claim/

I think that this guy would likely have a slam dunk wrongful termination lawsuit. While I do not see the public policy exception to the at-will employment relating to the desire of the agency to have its people kill on sight of a person purporting to have a gun w/o using any discretion; I think that its against public policy to do so...and a new exemption to the at-will employment would be created.

This guy hit the jackpot !

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

Probationary, usually probationary officers have a partner on shift with them until their probationary period is over however I guess different departments have different procedures. In my humble opinion the young ex officer has a decent case for a lawsuit.

I can see his counsel now informing the jury that his client was fired for NOT KILLING another human being.. CASE CLOSED.

Regards
    CCJ

This will bite the department in the arse every time there is a shooting. Every ambulance chaser will rub their nose in it forever.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This will bite the department in the arse every time there is a shooting. Every ambulance chaser will rub their nose in it forever.
    Great point WW, also it would appear that the departments policy towards public safety is simply shoot, shoot,shoot or be FIRED...

Their motto seems to be " kill in the name of public safety"... Unreal.

Regards
    CCJ

State Researcher
    I could understand terminating a cop who demonstrated he was unable or unwilling to use deadly force when it was truly needed. Failing to protect his own life, that of another officer, or of an innocent bystander or victim because he just couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger would be grounds to terminate an officer.

But from the article it doesn't sound like that was the situation at all. The (now former) officer assessed the situation and determined the man was trying to commit suicide by cop, but wasn't posing an immediate threat.

That the man was "armed" is not the end-all-be-all of making such a determination. But the media sure loves to focus on that don't they? Most of us are visibly "armed" on a regular basis, though we tend to keep our guns holstered rather than having them in our hands. On the flip side, a couple of large men can present a deadly threat to most individuals despite being "unarmed". A single, committed man can present a deadly threat to a large portion of the population even if unarmed.

Not a good day for the WV Police Department involved here.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

A bit off topic but 34k a year seems rather low. Just saying.

St. Louis PD
    Population: 354,361
    City’s Average Salary: $40,630

Starting Salary for Police Officers: $37,514
    Cost of Living Rank (in a 1-100 list): 23
    Average Commute Time: 21.5 minutes
    Job Growth Rank (in a list of 372 Highest Growth Cities): 179
    Unemployment Rate: 9.2
    !20K population on Weirton. $34K seems pretty darn good.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    !20K population on Weirton. $34K seems pretty darn good.
    +1