Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Cease Fire Activity on Mercer Island

  1. #1
    Regular Member Damiansar-15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mercer Island, WA
    Posts
    197

    Cease Fire Activity on Mercer Island

    Has anyone seen recent petition activity from CeaseFire? I saw a small group at the entrance areas of Mercer Island's Farmer's Market on Sunday afternoon. I spoke to two of the folks carrying signs with petition information. Apparently, the folks were not even from Washington State from what I gathered in our brief interaction... I was glad to see that towards the end of the market, they had only gathered a few signatures...

    First guy interaction:
    Me- "Your sign says to ask you about the 'assault gun' ban. Are you trying to ban 'assault weapons'?"
    Guy- "That's right. We are petitioning support for the AG's initiative"
    Me- "Does this include banning assault rifles for LEOs?
    Guy- "....crickets chirping..."
    Me- "I am just trying to understand more about your initiative and why you are pushing for it."
    Guy- (steps close to my face and shouts)"Because assault weapons shoot 150 F%^n bullets a minute. (steps back quickly when I did not react to his bullying technique) I know what you are about and I don't want to talk to you and you can't see or sign my petition"
    Me- "Do you even live on the Island?"
    Guy- "...crickets chirping..."
    Me-"Your sign said to ask you about your ban. You are putting yourself out here publicly petitioning in my community. Have a nice day."

    Second Interaction with lady:
    Me- "Your sign says to ask you about the 'assault gun' ban. Are you trying to ban 'assault weapons'?"
    Lady-"Yes, we want to ban all of those guns that spew unlimited amounts of bullets with belts...you know??? (pantomimes shooting an imaginary SAW machine gun from the hip with a belt of ammunition)"
    Me- "Well you know they passed legislation in the 1980s to ban machine guns defined by the ATF as assault weapons in the early 1980s."
    Lady- "No, they had a ban in the 1990s and we want to bring that back"
    Me- "Oh, you want to ban semi-automatic rifles with certain ergonomic and safety features. So, does your initiative include banning 'assault rifles' for LEOs?"
    Lady- "Of, course not."
    Me- "Why not?"
    Lady- "Because they need them to defend themselves against criminals and to protect the public."
    Me- "So you believe that law abiding citizens should not have the right to defend themselves from criminals or protect their families?"
    Lady- "....crickets chirping.... Well, I'm from Connecticut and we don't need guns there."
    Me- "Oh, so you come to my community to ban weapons which help me defend myself and family, while not even living here?"
    Lady-"....crickets chirping..."
    Me- "I think it is great that you have the right to come out to someone else's community and publicly petition for your perspective. Although, I believe you are doing more harm than good by creating defenseless victims in society. Have a nice day."

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,257
    ^ ^ Facts and logic bore holes in that empty space between their ears. ^ ^

    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-14-2016 at 06:20 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiansar-15 View Post
    Has anyone seen recent petition activity from CeaseFire? I saw a small group at the entrance areas of Mercer Island's Farmer's Market on Sunday afternoon. I spoke to two of the folks carrying signs with petition information. Apparently, the folks were not even from Washington State from what I gathered in our brief interaction... I was glad to see that towards the end of the market, they had only gathered a few signatures...

    First guy interaction:
    Me- "Your sign says to ask you about the 'assault gun' ban. Are you trying to ban 'assault weapons'?"
    Guy- "That's right. We are petitioning support for the AG's initiative"
    Me- "Does this include banning assault rifles for LEOs?
    Guy- "....crickets chirping..."
    Me- "I am just trying to understand more about your initiative and why you are pushing for it."
    Guy- (steps close to my face and shouts)"Because assault weapons shoot 150 F%^n bullets a minute. (steps back quickly when I did not react to his bullying technique) I know what you are about and I don't want to talk to you and you can't see or sign my petition"
    Me- "Do you even live on the Island?"
    Guy- "...crickets chirping..."
    Me-"Your sign said to ask you about your ban. You are putting yourself out here publicly petitioning in my community. Have a nice day."

    Second Interaction with lady:
    Me- "Your sign says to ask you about the 'assault gun' ban. Are you trying to ban 'assault weapons'?"
    Lady-"Yes, we want to ban all of those guns that spew unlimited amounts of bullets with belts...you know??? (pantomimes shooting an imaginary SAW machine gun from the hip with a belt of ammunition)"
    Me- "Well you know they passed legislation in the 1980s to ban machine guns defined by the ATF as assault weapons in the early 1980s."
    Lady- "No, they had a ban in the 1990s and we want to bring that back"
    Me- "Oh, you want to ban semi-automatic rifles with certain ergonomic and safety features. So, does your initiative include banning 'assault rifles' for LEOs?"
    Lady- "Of, course not."
    Me- "Why not?"
    Lady- "Because they need them to defend themselves against criminals and to protect the public."
    Me- "So you believe that law abiding citizens should not have the right to defend themselves from criminals or protect their families?"
    Lady- "....crickets chirping.... Well, I'm from Connecticut and we don't need guns there."
    Me- "Oh, so you come to my community to ban weapons which help me defend myself and family, while not even living here?"
    Lady-"....crickets chirping..."
    Me- "I think it is great that you have the right to come out to someone else's community and publicly petition for your perspective. Although, I believe you are doing more harm than good by creating defenseless victims in society. Have a nice day."
    I love the statement, " I am from Connecticut and we don't need guns there"... Enough said.

    Thanks for sharing.

    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    I love the statement, " I am from Connecticut and we don't need guns there"... Enough said.

    Thanks for sharing.

    CCJ
    I just tell them that I got lots of assault evil rifles that I share with my friends getting ready for SHTF so we can survive and let the idiots who will want the rifles when SHTF but argued against the need ... so I can survive and see their bodies and kids bodies on the curbs of the towns in CT.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandridge, TN
    Posts
    372
    May be a good opportunity for a letter to the editors of as many major news papers as you can and relay the interaction you had. How many people ever ask a petitioner where they are from? Not many is my guess. Might be a good thing to inform as many people as you can reach that out of state invaders are trying to influence Washington state laws. There should be a law against that! lol.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    May be a good opportunity for a letter to the editors of as many major news papers as you can and relay the interaction you had. How many people ever ask a petitioner where they are from? Not many is my guess. Might be a good thing to inform as many people as you can reach that out of state invaders are trying to influence Washington state laws. There should be a law against that! lol.
    Anyone who travels to WA would be affected by their laws so I see nothing wrong with out of staters doing political things.

    For example: Grape just asked folks to write to the VA .govs about proposed legislation ... why not? Many here not in VA still travel through VA and their laws may affect them.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandridge, TN
    Posts
    372
    Traveling to a state is a choice and If I choose to travel to a state not of my residence then I tacitly agree to abide by the laws of that state. Maybe you don't mind a non resident petitioning to raise the property tax rate in your state but I take exception to an outsider sticking their nose into something that will not affect them. I take exception to someone who does not have a tie to my state trying to change things in my state. Petitioners should be residents of the state they gather signatures in as they will be affected by the outcome of their actions same as those who choose to sign said petition. No dog in the fight, stay out of it.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Traveling to a state is a choice and If I choose to travel to a state not of my residence then I tacitly agree to abide by the laws of that state. Maybe you don't mind a non resident petitioning to raise the property tax rate in your state but I take exception to an outsider sticking their nose into something that will not affect them. I take exception to someone who does not have a tie to my state trying to change things in my state. Petitioners should be residents of the state they gather signatures in as they will be affected by the outcome of their actions same as those who choose to sign said petition. No dog in the fight, stay out of it.
    What if one does not live there but intends on moving there next week? see?

    Politicians give weight to non-resident testimony ... how much is up to them.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiansar-15 View Post
    Has anyone seen recent petition activity from CeaseFire? I saw a small group at the entrance areas of Mercer Island's Farmer's Market on Sunday afternoon. I spoke to two of the folks carrying signs with petition information. Apparently, the folks were not even from Washington State from what I gathered in our brief interaction... I was glad to see that towards the end of the market, they had only gathered a few signatures...

    First guy interaction:
    Me- "Your sign says to ask you about the 'assault gun' ban. Are you trying to ban 'assault weapons'?"
    Guy- "That's right. We are petitioning support for the AG's initiative"
    Me- "Does this include banning assault rifles for LEOs?
    Guy- "....crickets chirping..."
    Me- "I am just trying to understand more about your initiative and why you are pushing for it."
    Guy- (steps close to my face and shouts)"Because assault weapons shoot 150 F%^n bullets a minute. (steps back quickly when I did not react to his bullying technique) I know what you are about and I don't want to talk to you and you can't see or sign my petition"
    Me- "Do you even live on the Island?"
    Guy- "...crickets chirping..."
    Me-"Your sign said to ask you about your ban. You are putting yourself out here publicly petitioning in my community. Have a nice day."

    Second Interaction with lady:
    Me- "Your sign says to ask you about the 'assault gun' ban. Are you trying to ban 'assault weapons'?"
    Lady-"Yes, we want to ban all of those guns that spew unlimited amounts of bullets with belts...you know??? (pantomimes shooting an imaginary SAW machine gun from the hip with a belt of ammunition)"
    Me- "Well you know they passed legislation in the 1980s to ban machine guns defined by the ATF as assault weapons in the early 1980s."
    Lady- "No, they had a ban in the 1990s and we want to bring that back"
    Me- "Oh, you want to ban semi-automatic rifles with certain ergonomic and safety features. So, does your initiative include banning 'assault rifles' for LEOs?"
    Lady- "Of, course not."
    Me- "Why not?"
    Lady- "Because they need them to defend themselves against criminals and to protect the public."
    Me- "So you believe that law abiding citizens should not have the right to defend themselves from criminals or protect their families?"
    Lady- "....crickets chirping.... Well, I'm from Connecticut and we don't need guns there."
    Me- "Oh, so you come to my community to ban weapons which help me defend myself and family, while not even living here?"
    Lady-"....crickets chirping..."
    Me- "I think it is great that you have the right to come out to someone else's community and publicly petition for your perspective. Although, I believe you are doing more harm than good by creating defenseless victims in society. Have a nice day."
    Hey there. I'm also on MI. A few weekends ago Ralph Fascitelli, the head of WACeasefire, was at that market getting signatures. I did a little ambush journalism with my smartphone video camera and made him admit that the so-called "assault weapons" cause almost 0% of murders and that he really wanted to ban handguns but this was the best he could do "for now." Here is a still from it:
    Last edited by Alpine; 09-16-2016 at 03:28 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member NavyMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastside, Washington, USA
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Hey there. I'm also on MI. A few weekends ago Ralph Fascitelli, the head of WACeasefire, was at that market getting signatures. I did a little ambush journalism with my smartphone video camera and made him admit that the so-called "assault weapons" cause almost 0% of murders and that he really wanted to ban handguns but this was the best he could do "for now." Here is a still from it:
    Alpine,

    Would you mind posting the video where he says that?
    cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,091
    Yes! Please share!
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

  12. #12
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,674
    opening a bag of BSA fund raising Carmel corn popcorn and RC while we all wait!!

    ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  13. #13
    Regular Member Damiansar-15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mercer Island, WA
    Posts
    197

    This is him

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Hey there. I'm also on MI. A few weekends ago Ralph Fascitelli, the head of WACeasefire, was at that market getting signatures. I did a little ambush journalism with my smartphone video camera and made him admit that the so-called "assault weapons" cause almost 0% of murders and that he really wanted to ban handguns but this was the best he could do "for now." Here is a still from it:
    That is the guy dropping the F-bombs...the other lady stated she was from Conn.

  14. #14
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Traveling to a state is a choice and If I choose to travel to a state not of my residence then I tacitly agree to abide by the laws of that state. Maybe you don't mind a non resident petitioning to raise the property tax rate in your state but I take exception to an outsider sticking their nose into something that will not affect them. I take exception to someone who does not have a tie to my state trying to change things in my state. Petitioners should be residents of the state they gather signatures in as they will be affected by the outcome of their actions same as those who choose to sign said petition. No dog in the fight, stay out of it.
    The laws of all 50 states recognize the right to speak and write freely, peacably assemble, and petition for redress of greivances....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  15. #15
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiansar-15 View Post
    Has anyone seen recent petition activity from CeaseFire? I saw a small group at the entrance areas of Mercer Island's Farmer's Market on Sunday afternoon. I spoke to two of the folks carrying signs with petition information. Apparently, the folks were not even from Washington State from what I gathered in our brief interaction... I was glad to see that towards the end of the market, they had only gathered a few signatures...

    First guy interaction:
    Me- "Your sign says to ask you about the 'assault gun' ban. Are you trying to ban 'assault weapons'?"
    Guy- "That's right. We are petitioning support for the AG's initiative"
    Me- "Does this include banning assault rifles for LEOs?
    Guy- "....crickets chirping..."
    Me- "I am just trying to understand more about your initiative and why you are pushing for it."
    Guy- (steps close to my face and shouts)"Because assault weapons shoot 150 F%^n bullets a minute. (steps back quickly when I did not react to his bullying technique) I know what you are about and I don't want to talk to you and you can't see or sign my petition"
    Me- "Do you even live on the Island?"
    Guy- "...crickets chirping..."
    Me-"Your sign said to ask you about your ban. You are putting yourself out here publicly petitioning in my community. Have a nice day."

    Second Interaction with lady:
    Me- "Your sign says to ask you about the 'assault gun' ban. Are you trying to ban 'assault weapons'?"
    Lady-"Yes, we want to ban all of those guns that spew unlimited amounts of bullets with belts...you know??? (pantomimes shooting an imaginary SAW machine gun from the hip with a belt of ammunition)"
    Me- "Well you know they passed legislation in the 1980s to ban machine guns defined by the ATF as assault weapons in the early 1980s."
    Lady- "No, they had a ban in the 1990s and we want to bring that back"
    Me- "Oh, you want to ban semi-automatic rifles with certain ergonomic and safety features. So, does your initiative include banning 'assault rifles' for LEOs?"
    Lady- "Of, course not."
    Me- "Why not?"
    Lady- "Because they need them to defend themselves against criminals and to protect the public."
    Me- "So you believe that law abiding citizens should not have the right to defend themselves from criminals or protect their families?"
    Lady- "....crickets chirping.... Well, I'm from Connecticut and we don't need guns there."
    Me- "Oh, so you come to my community to ban weapons which help me defend myself and family, while not even living here?"
    Lady-"....crickets chirping..."
    Me- "I think it is great that you have the right to come out to someone else's community and publicly petition for your perspective. Although, I believe you are doing more harm than good by creating defenseless victims in society. Have a nice day."
    Did you read their petition and get details on it?

    whatever it is likely isn't legally binding, there are no initiatives for an AWB currently on file with the Sec State, I just checked now.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiansar-15 View Post
    Guy- "That's right. We are petitioning support for the AG's initiative"
    Me- "Does this include banning assault rifles for LEOs?
    Guy- "....crickets chirping..."
    Thank you for stepping up to perform your civic duty. It is always important to stress that the gun-banners aren't really in favor of gun-equality. If they were in favor of gun-equality, they would try to ban guns for EVERYONE.

    Here's a new question for gun prohibitionists: "Why don't you support gun equality?"

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,850
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Brent View Post
    [ ... ] Here's a new question for gun prohibitionists: "Why don't you support gun equality?"
    Except perhaps to you, it is not a new question. Do you suppose that we are still equal? All men are created equal, after that it is dog-eat-dog and the devil take the hind most.
    I was not unserious with my suspicion of Gastaut-Geschwind Syndrome. No more quote mining, contextomy!. I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    660
    Update, I've uploaded the video from my phone however the format is odd and I need to convert it to something I can upload to youtube, haven't had this issue before, will report back on it.

    Emn, as far as the petition goes, I believe it an initiative to the legislature which (automatically?) transforms into a petition for the people to vote on if/when the legislature fails to act on it.
    https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/Initiatives-FAQ.aspx
    What is an initiative to the Legislature?

    An initiative is a way for the people, rather than the Legislature, to enact new laws. The Legislature may enact the initiative into law, or may send it to the General Election ballot for a vote of the people.
    http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=29A.72.260

    RCW 29A.72.260
    Rejected initiatives to legislature.
    Whenever any measure proposed by initiative petition for submission to the legislature is rejected by the legislature or the legislature takes no action thereon before the end of the regular session at which it is submitted, the secretary of state shall certify the serial number and ballot title thereof to the county auditors for printing on the ballots at the next ensuing general election in like manner as initiative measures for submission to the people are certified.
    [ 2003 c 111 1826. Prior: 1965 c 9 29.79.270; prior: 1913 c 138 21; RRS 5417. Formerly RCW 29.79.270.]
    Last edited by Alpine; 09-24-2016 at 10:11 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Update, I've uploaded the video from my phone however the format is odd and I need to convert it to something I can upload to youtube, haven't had this issue before, will report back on it.

    Emn, as far as the petition goes, I believe it an initiative to the legislature which (automatically?) transforms into a petition for the people to vote on if/when the legislature fails to act on it.
    https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/Initiatives-FAQ.aspx


    http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=29A.72.260
    I know how those work, I checked both I to the leg and to the people. neither show an AWB being submitted to secretary of state.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  20. #20
    Regular Member Damiansar-15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mercer Island, WA
    Posts
    197

    AG support initiative

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Did you read their petition and get details on it?

    whatever it is likely isn't legally binding, there are no initiatives for an AWB currently on file with the Sec State, I just checked now.
    I did not look at it closely, but I did hear them explain to others that it was not a WA ballot initiative, but was an initiative to capture signatures to show support for AG pushing to enact an "assault rifle" ban. Probably a ceasefire initiative to expand their mailing database ;-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •