Thread: On this day in 1966 ( Gun control legislation)

On this day in 1966 ( Gun control legislation)

The 50th Anniversary of the sniper attack at the University of Texas at Austin. Then President LBJ wrote a letter to Congress urging the enactment of
    "gun control" legislation.

Regards
    CCJ
    Ask yourself, Do You Own Yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    The 50th Anniversary of the sniper attack at the University of Texas at Austin. Then President LBJ wrote a letter to Congress urging the enactment of
    "gun control" legislation.

Regards
    CCJ

Actually, the shooting was August 1, 1966. It took LBJ a month and a half to write the letter to Congress. He had already pushed for gun control before the shooting as it was. It wasn't until MLK and RFK in '68 did anyone jerk a knee in response. Bloody shirt wagging, indeed.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=29197
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.0518178b012a

The citation and context of " What is done unto anyone may be done unto everyone"

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    " What is done unto anyone may be done unto everyone" John Lilburne
    A parenthetical six words out of more than 230. Again misquoted!
    Statement of John Lilburne: ‘For certainly it cannot be denied, but if he be really an offender, he is such by the breach of some law, made and published before the fact, and ought by due process of law, and verdict of 12 men, to be thereof convict, and found guilty of such crime; unto which the law also hath prescribed such a punishment agreeable to that our fundamental liberty; which enjoineth that no freeman of England should be adjudged of life, limb, liberty, or estate, but by Juries; a freedom which parliaments in all ages contended to preserve from violation; as the birthright and chief inheritance of the people, as may appear most remarkably in the Petition of Right, which you have stiled that most excellent law.‘And therefore we trust upon second thoughts, being the parliament of England, you will be so far from bereaving us, who have never forfeited our right, of this our native right, and way of Trials by Juries, (for what is done unto any one, may be done unto every one), that you will preserve them entire to us, and to posterity, from the encroachments of any that would innovate upon them * * *.‘And it is believed, that * * * had (the cause) at any time either at first or last been admitted to a trial at law, and had passed any way by verdict of twelve sworn men: all the trouble and inconveniences arising thereupon and been prevented: the way of determination by major votes of committees, being neither so certain nor so satisfactory in any case as by way of Juries, the benefit of challenges and exceptions, and unanimous consent, being all essential privileges in the latter; whereas committees are tied to no such rules, but are at liberty to be present or absent at pleasure. Besides, Juries being birthright, and the other but new and temporary, men do not, nor, as we humbly conceive, ever will acquiesce in the one as in the other; from whence it is not altogether so much to be wondered at, if upon dissatisfactions, there have been such frequent printing of men's cases, and dealings of Committees, as there have been; and such harsh and inordinate heats and expressions between parties interested, such sudden and importunate appeals to your authority, being indeed all alike out of the true English road, and leading into nothing but trouble and perlexity, breeding hatred and enmities between worthy families, affronts and disgust between persons of the same public affection and interest, and to the rejoicing of none but public adversaries. All which, and many more inconveniences, can only be avoided, by referring all such cases to the usual Trials and final determinations of law.’ Howell's State Trials 411-412, (1649). http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/project...urnelinks.html
    The only reason that I looked is that Country Club liberal Joe hosed his 'John Locke'. What else has he hosed?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-15-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    I was not unserious with my suspicion of Gastaut-Geschwind Syndrome. No more quote mining, contextomy!. I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Never read the legislation, was not able to object to it, and it does not apply as all gun laws are void.

Simple, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Never read the legislation, was not able to object to it, and it does not apply as all gun laws are void. Simple, yes?
    Simple enough for a simpleton.
    I was not unserious with my suspicion of Gastaut-Geschwind Syndrome. No more quote mining, contextomy!. I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Simple enough for a simpleton.

"It is the character of a simpleton to be a bore. A man of sense sees at once whether he is welcome or tiresome; he knows to withdraw the moment that precedes that in which he would be in the least in the way."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

"It is the character of a simpleton to be a bore. A man of sense sees at once whether he is welcome or tiresome; he knows to withdraw the moment that precedes that in which he would be in the least in the way."

Pondering the thoughts of lesser minds.....

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Pondering the thoughts of lesser minds.....
    The preponderance of evidence is obvious.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A parenthetical six words out of more than 230. Again misquoted!The only reason that I looked is that Country Club liberal Joe hosed his 'John Locke'. What else has he hosed?
    I didn't know how to spell "for"..

Here is a great quote that surely applies to Mr.Word Salad aka nightmare-- " He has Supreme Vanity" per William Faulkner.

Also again for Mr.Word Salad "never argue with an idiot for he shall kill you and beat you down with experience."
    Ask yourself, Do You Own Yourself?