Thread: Clarity on State Law

Question Clarity on State Law

I tend to travel into KS quite a bit, it takes me 5 minutes to leave my house and be in KS. I have read lots of conflicting information and can't find the statutes to read for myself. So please can someone clarify for me if Permitless CC applies just to residents or can MO residents have that right when we are in KS??

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I tend to travel into KS quite a bit, it takes me 5 minutes to leave my house and be in KS. I have read lots of conflicting information and can't find the statutes to read for myself. So please can someone clarify for me if Permitless CC applies just to residents or can MO residents have that right when we are in KS??
    "The bill, SB 45, allows any adult otherwise able to possess a handgun under state and federal laws to carry that gun concealed as a matter of course without a permit."
    http://www.guns.com/2015/04/03/kansa...l-carry-state/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-16-2016 at 04:37 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Most courthouses have annotated statutes in their legal library. If you want to look further into the laws of KS, the statutes should be available to you.

Or you can post a question and hope that a person responds who actually knows the answer to your query. Its just the internet here.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-16-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b201...45_00_0000.pdf
    Sec. 14. K.S.A. 2014 Supp. 75-7c21 is hereby amended to read as follows: 75-7c21. (a) An individual may carry a concealed handgun in the state capitol in accordance with the provisions of K.S.A. 2014 Supp. 75-7c01 et seq., and amendments thereto, provided such individual is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under either federal or state law.
    What about open carry into the capitol?????

Thanks for the replies but, Geez their statutes are harder to read than the ones here in MO. I got nothing out of that hacked up document with hundreds of strikethrus. It still did not tell me if it was just for KS residents or not. If it did specify then I missed it. And sorry Grapeshot but Guns.com is a magazine, (media outlet) so I really do not take what they say as a way not to chance my freedom. I really just need clarity on this, I only really go to Elwood, Atchison, Wathena, and rarely Troy. So I don't really get to any courthouse to check the statutes. As far as I know the Doniphan County Courthouse is in Troy. I haven't been there in 5 years. And I really haven't been to Atchison in 3 years I was hoping to find the info online but maybe Gov. Brownback would respond with an answer if i email him??

These are the Kansas Statutes Annotated

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it. Gee Zeus, get a grip on 'yourself'!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Thanks for the law book but where in that mess do I find the gun laws?

Thanks for the law book but where in that mess do I find the gun laws?
    Very often there is an internal search function.
    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it. Gee Zeus, get a grip on 'yourself'!

Banned
    Thanks for the replies but, Geez their statutes are harder to read than the ones here in MO. I got nothing out of that hacked up document with hundreds of strikethrus. It still did not tell me if it was just for KS residents or not. If it did specify then I missed it. And sorry Grapeshot but Guns.com is a magazine, (media outlet) so I really do not take what they say as a way not to chance my freedom. I really just need clarity on this, I only really go to Elwood, Atchison, Wathena, and rarely Troy. So I don't really get to any courthouse to check the statutes. As far as I know the Doniphan County Courthouse is in Troy. I haven't been there in 5 years. And I really haven't been to Atchison in 3 years I was hoping to find the info online but maybe Gov. Brownback would respond with an answer if i email him??
    A local courthouse may have access to Westlaw or some other resource where you can find the relevant law and have links to some cases that may shed light on your queries. Sometimes judges do make decisions that appear to be just the opposite of what the law reads so you are wise to investigate.