• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry.org updates its Constitutional Carry Map (21 September 2016)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.opencarry.org/maps/constitutional-carry

SNIP

Oklahoma & Missouri will soon join these Constitutional Carry states and OpenCarry.org will update its Constitutional Carry Map as 2016 progresses.
Maybe Oklahoma will, but in Missouri, only CONCEALED carry can be done statewide without a license starting in 2017.

Open carry will continue to only be legal in the various municipalities which disallow it (like St. Louis, for instance) if you have a MO CCW permit or one which MO recognizes.

In other words, nothing will change from present law regarding open carry.

See MRS (or RMS if you like) 21.750 (3)(2)

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/02100007501.html

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'd sure like to see you guys stop buying into the misnomer "Constitutional Carry." Permitless carry is accurate. Sure, it's a salesman's misnomer that has caught on and will often be used in conversation with those that don't actually think about what the term means, but that doesn't mean we have to use it on our maps. Only ONE state has Constitutional Carry. Others just have exceptions to their laws, and not all law-abiding adult citizens meet them. How insulting to tell them they don't qualify for their "Constitutional Carry."

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I'd sure like to see you guys stop buying into the misnomer "Constitutional Carry." Permitless carry is accurate. Sure, it's a salesman's misnomer that has caught on and will often be used in conversation with those that don't actually think about what the term means, but that doesn't mean we have to use it on our maps. Only ONE state has Constitutional Carry. Others just have exceptions to their laws, and not all law-abiding adult citizens meet them. How insulting to tell them they don't qualify for their "Constitutional Carry."
I agree, but the map is disgusting to only have 8 states that even comes close to constitutional carry.

OC for ME

No state has "constitutional" carry. No LAC is permitted to be peaceably armed anywhere he has a right to be if unarmed. For example, schools...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No state has "constitutional" carry. No LAC is permitted to be peaceably armed anywhere he has a right to be if unarmed. For example, schools...

Good point. School buildings and court houses are still off limits in Vermont.

utbagpiper

Banned
Good point. School buildings and court houses are still off limits in Vermont.

As are a number of other locations. According to Handgunlaw.us "Any state institution or upon the grounds or lands owned or leased for the use of such institution, without the approval of the warden or superintendent of the institution" are off limits. So too is the Mud Creek Controlled Hunting Area in Alburg.

Released felons and the mentally ill are also barred their constitutional rights to KBA under Vermont State law.

No State has true, full, constitutional carry.

But the term has value in garnering support. That permit-free carry may be more accurate, is less important in this regard. Permit-free carry sounds like maybe it is good, but could be bad. OTOH, Constitutional Carry is almost entirely positive sounding.

Messaging matters.

Charles

KBCraig

I still cannot fathom why NH is only ranked "friendly" on the OC map, when it is Gold Star by both law and reality. If it's because of the requirement for a license when in possession of a loaded handgun in a vehicle, there's a separate "Travel" map for that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I still cannot fathom why NH is only ranked "friendly" on the OC map, when it is Gold Star by both law and reality. If it's because of the requirement for a license when in possession of a loaded handgun in a vehicle, there's a separate "Travel" map for that.
Unless I misunderstand something, it is because a non-resident must make application through the state police for a permit/license - reciprocity is not automatic for those desiring such "permission."

Additionally, having to load/unload creates not only an inconvenience but a hazard that many people would rather avoid.

Traveling is a separate issue with restrictions.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Let me see if I understand things correctly...

We have Open Carry (OC) in 45 states:
- 30 states require a permit
- 15 states do not
- There remain roughly 5 main categories and a myriad of subcategories, often extending to individual cities, counties, parks, and hundreds of special circumstances.

We have Concealed Carry (CC) in, well, who knows, as OCDO's self-imposed limitations prevent even the most helpful of resources for OCers like myself who might have a need to CC (sigh). However, thanks to this resource, we OCers have the following information:
- 14 states and 1 territory shall issue to residents only
- 28 states and 1 territory shall issue to residents and non-residents
- 3 states and 1 territory may issue to residents only
- 6 states and 1 district may issue to residents and non-residents
- 2 territories deny CC

Yes, I'm aware I seem to have an extra state in there. I'll work on that...

We have Constitutional Carry (both OC and CC) in 10 states:
- 2 states require residency
- 8 states do not

Although the OCDO maps remain incomplete, what they do cover is quite good.

In the meantime, I'll post this and begin working on my own chart.

Regardless, I still fail to understand how states can lawfully infringe on a Constitutionally-protected right.

In the military, if a higher level of authority imposes a restriction, such as "base curfews will begin at midnight and continue until 6 am," lower levels of authority can be more restrictive, such as an earlier or longer 10 pm to 7 am curfew for an individual unit, but they cannot violate the higher level restriction by relaxing it.

Similarly, if a higher level of authority imposes a minimum level of restriction, such as "base curfews shall not last more than 8 hours," lower levels of authority can be less restrictive, but not more restrictive.

In the case of our Second Amendment, the phrase "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is an absolute moratorium against any infringement. Furthermore, because it's "the supreme Law of the Land," it applies to all states, the same all all other clauses and amendments that have been upheld by the Supreme Court over the years. Case in point: Freedom of Speech. Right to Vote. Etc.

Why, then, does such incredibly stupidity abound over the Second Amendment?

Here's a thought: A federal law affirming that the Second Amendment, as non-limited Constitutional law, applies unanimously to all states and territories, without reservation (infringement).

After all, if the U.S. Supreme Court can apply the First Amendment, which is specifically limited to Congress, to all states, then it can (should) most certainly apply the Second Amendment, which is specifically unlimited, to all states.

Last edited: