Thread: City of Danville

City of Danville

Just as I started working on the Richmond pool problem, I found that Danville has an ordinance prohibiting the possession of a firearms in the city cemetery and an ordinance prohibiting possession of firearms by "citation officers"(meter maids). Does any city have "citation officers" any more? Both of these ordinances are very old and probably not enforced, but I thought I would just bring to the city's attention that they were illegal. I have exchanged several emails with Ron Scott, Danville City Manager. Mr Scott is a very pleasant man and was fairly knowledgeable about Ky. gun laws. He said that the existence of the two ordinances was an oversight and has ordered the city attorney to look for any others. Tonight I got an email from Mr. Scott. Here is an excerpt:

I have discussed with the city attorney the importance of reviewing and updating all our local ordinances (and any city regulations) to make sure they are in compliance with state law, and that effort is underway. I would expect changes to be made to any ordinances (and any city regulations )not in compliance with state law during the month of October, probably at our first regular meeting, but certainly by and completed at our second regular meeting.

Pretty fast action and, thanks to Mr. Scott, accomplished without a single harsh word.

The problem at Richmond has not been that easy and it may take some legal action to get anything accomplished there. I used to travel all over the state for city council meetings. I swore after 65.870 was passed that I wasn't going to do that anymore. If emails and phone calls couldn't get it done, lawsuits would be the next option. In this case, I may have to reconsider and go the Richmond. At the same time, I am working on problems at Campbellsville (city employees prohibited from possession of guns while on duty and in vehicles) and Dawson Springs (No concealed weapons in city owner vehicles). This may seem like a very minor violation, and it is, but the ordinance is 20 years old. Its time to fix it. No real problems with either of them, just not very much communication. I think they are working on it, but they won't let me know what they are doing or even what they are thinking about doing. I did see an item on the agenda for the Dawson Springs City Council meeting, but they won't respond. I get the impression that they don't like having to do this and they are refusing to act like they are submitting to my demands. Almost as if they will lose some of their authority by listening to a citizen. Some people take all of this very personally.

Morehead is not completely wrapped up yet, but I don't expect any problems with it. It just takes time to get 2 readings of a new ordinance in front of the city council.
    Last edited by gutshot; 09-23-2016 at 12:20 AM.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    ... It just takes time to get 2 readings of a new ordinance in front of the city council.
    And it starts with the time taken by people like you to bring it to their attention. Nicely done.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Here is more about the gun problems in Danville.

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/news/local/boyle/signs-prohibiting-weapons-at-danville-parks-coming-down/article_351debe8-7f3f-11e6-a8b7-8f9233acecd1.html

They have agreed to fix all of this, plus anything else they can find.
    Last edited by gutshot; 09-23-2016 at 12:16 AM.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams