Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idaho sales tax on FFL transfers?

Idaho sales tax on FFL transfers?

Anyone here been charged sales tax on an in Idaho FFL firearm transfer fee?

I never have.
    Darren

Pass the popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    Anyone here been charged sales tax on an in Idaho FFL firearm transfer fee?
    is there a specific point of reference you came up with this?

searched 35.01.02 - Idaho Sales and Use Tax Administrative Rules there was nothing unless someone is skewing the intent and spirit of property transfer?

provide a bit of context please?

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act. Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

solus: I was charged 6% sales tax on an in Idaho FFL firearm transfer fee

https://adminrules.idaho.gov/rules/current/35/0102.pdf

Page 16 ... drop shipments appears to be relevant

If it answers your query post back as so
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)

If a posting looks like its funny - its meant to be so-

I have not been charged sales tax on a FFL transfer. My question is what FFL charged you so I can avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    I have not been charged sales tax on a FFL transfer. My question is what FFL charged you so I can avoid them.
    Sounds like a gunbroker deal ...
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    https://adminrules.idaho.gov/rules/current/35/0102.pdf

Page 16 ... drop shipments appears to be relevant

If it answers your query post back as so
    ------------------------------------------------------------

There is no Manufacturer I am buying from a Retailer out of state

The Customer (me) placed a purchase order with the Retailer
    the Retailer bills the Customer (me) for the product and receives payment

The Retailer is not required to have an Idaho seller’s permit, (so) the Retailer is under no responsibility
    to collect Idaho sales tax from the Customer

The FFL is not the Retailer, the FFL is "selling" nothing

The FFL is not required to charge a fee to transfer a firearm

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    --snipped--

IMO, the FFL is "selling" to you.

He/she must log it into their inventory (take possession/ownership) before transfering it to you.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The Retailer is not required to have an Idaho seller’s permit, (so) the Retailer is under no responsibility

Walmart is not required to charge a "fee" for a pair of women's underwear, but they do, and sales tax must be paid on the amount you pay them. I am having a hard time understanding what you are asking about. Are you complaining about being charged sales tax on the dealers transfer fee?!! Surely, that can only be a small percentage (6%) of a small fee ($20). How much money changed hands at the FFL's place of business? If, in fact, you are complaining about the dealer charging state sales tax on the full purchase price of the firearm, that would not be a "fee". It is a sales price. If you want an accurate answer, it is a good idea to state an accurate question. By the way, I don't have a clue to what the law is on sales tax in Idaho, but I do know the difference between a fee and a price. In my home state, no sales tax would be due, because no money changed hands, in state, at the retail level. Their is no sales tax payable on "fees" for services (such as a firearms transfer) only on sales (therefore the name "sales tax"). What are your options? You have paid for the gun, the selling dealer won't take it back. The local dealer won't release the gun until you pay what he demands(rightly or wrongly). These are the kinds of details best understood and agreed to before the transaction commences. Good luck.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    By the way, I don't have a clue to what the law is on sales tax in Idaho
    gutshot: Add to Ignore List

depends who on the internet you purchased you firearm from, e.g., gun broker collects the whole purchase price before they send the firearm to your approved ffl; gun genie only collects a portion of the advertised cost and the receiving ffl collects and pockets the remainder for their time and effort.

now forgive me, but you keep saying 'not required to charge' w/o one shred of a cite, or other objective evidence to substantiate that statement...

ipse

added...dont like the statement made by member, do not pass go immediately to the ignore button ~ nice touch!

btw...respond to his query as it germain to a proper understanding of what is truly got you in a tizzy.
    Last edited by solus; 09-25-2016 at 02:17 AM.
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act. Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Re-looked .. bottom of pg 15 could be relevant too ... if (for example gunbroker) gunbroker has in its agreement to collect sales tax, then if they only charged you for the transfer ~ you're ahead...not liable for use tax.

Really, its up to you to provide information (ie all information) needed for the assessment you desire.

You maybe right, you maybe wrong about the sales tax. You don't provide enough info IMO.

I asked the FFL:

"are you required to charge sales tax on FFL transfers in Idaho"?

They answered:

"Since its a service it should only be a flat $$$, if it happens again you can mention it at the point of sale and they can make the adjustment.
    Odds are they just didnt know not to charge tax".

I'm happy, are you all?

Accomplished Advocate
    Sir, you are a foolish man.

Back to regular programming. Some states charge a sales tax on goods only and some states charge sales tax on goods and services.

I wish my sales tax was only 6%......

I asked the FFL:

"are you required to charge sales tax on FFL transfers in Idaho"?

They answered:

"Since its a service it should only be a flat $$$, if it happens again you can mention it at the point of sale and they can make the adjustment.
    Odds are they just didnt know not to charge tax".

I'm happy, are you all?
    Looks like you found one who would not charge it. Penny saved is a penny earned !

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    IMO, the FFL is "selling" to you.

He/she must log it into their inventory (take possession/ownership) before transferring it to you.
    That is not "selling" nor "ownership."

It's a glorified form of the same thing when the UPS truck shows up with something requiring an adult signature for delivery.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

OH NO!!! Please, please no,no, no not that. I am begging you, don't do it. Now I am humiliated, crestfallen, woebegone, disappointed, dejected and dismayed. Now my words will no longer be seen by you. That, sir, is a deep and meaningful loss for me, personally. I had so hoped that you and I could become chums. That close relationship is now impossible. What can I do to make you change your mind? I'd do anything to make that happen.
    Last edited by gutshot; 09-26-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

OH NO!!! Please, please no,no, no not that. I am begging you, don't do it. Now I am humiliated, crestfallen, woebegone, disappointed, dejected and dismayed. Now my words will no longer be see by you. That, sir, is a deep and meaningful loss for me, personally. I had so hoped that you and I could become chums. That close relationship is now impossible. What can I do to make you change your mind? I'd do anything to make that happen.
    Anything??????????

Join the GunBroker.com FFL Dealer Network

Last edited by oldbanger; 09-30-2016 at 09:28 AM.

what are you jumping all about...would you get a life...a FEE is not what you were whining about in your first post regarding a 6% sale tax to process your firearm transfer.

tell ya what, spend 30 minutes dealing, out of the blue, with someone like yourself and see if a fee isn't warranted and just revenue for the FFL's time and patience.

this is a normal occurance and me thinks you are beating the horse now just for fun and to torment the onlookers.

ipse

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    Originally Posted by oldbanger
    "You may, at your discretion, charge a fee for handling the transfer."

gunbrokerffl.jpg
    what are you jumping all about...would you get a life...a FEE is not what you were whining about in your first post regarding a 6% sale tax to process your firearm transfer.

tell ya what, spend 30 minutes dealing, out of the blue, with someone like yourself and see if a fee isn't warranted and just revenue for the FFL's time and patience.

this is a normal occurance and me thinks you are beating the horse now just for fun and to torment the onlookers.

ipse
    Isn't it against the rules pointing out someones skulduggery?
    Last edited by color of law; 09-27-2016 at 05:45 PM.

ipse

I don't see him complaining too much relating to the fee .... just the tax on it. I miss something?

ipse

You are such a bully. Why Grape lets you get away with so much bulls**t on this site is unknown too me.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    You are such a bully. Why Grape lets you get away with so much bulls**t on this site is unknown too me.
    Ignore him. Use the iggy list as I do, it makes me think, primus, do I want to read this poster at all, second, should I respond to trollery? Think twice, be nice.
    Hail TRUMP Victory. Hail TRUMP Sieg! Hail TRUMP Siegreich!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast