• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho sales tax on FFL transfers?

solus

Anyone here been charged sales tax on an in Idaho FFL firearm transfer fee?

is there a specific point of reference you came up with this?

searched 35.01.02 - Idaho Sales and Use Tax Administrative Rules there was nothing unless someone is skewing the intent and spirit of property transfer?

provide a bit of context please?

ipse

oldbanger

https://adminrules.idaho.gov/rules/current/35/0102.pdf

Page 16 ... drop shipments appears to be relevant

If it answers your query post back as so
------------------------------------------------------------

There is no Manufacturer I am buying from a Retailer out of state

The Customer (me) placed a purchase order with the Retailer
the Retailer bills the Customer (me) for the product and receives payment

The Retailer is not required to have an Idaho seller’s permit, (so) the Retailer is under no responsibility
to collect Idaho sales tax from the Customer

The FFL is not the Retailer, the FFL is "selling" nothing

The FFL is not required to charge a fee to transfer a firearm

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

IMO, the FFL is "selling" to you.

He/she must log it into their inventory (take possession/ownership) before transfering it to you.

solus

The Retailer is not required to have an Idaho seller’s permit, (so) the Retailer is under no responsibility

depends who on the internet you purchased you firearm from, e.g., gun broker collects the whole purchase price before they send the firearm to your approved ffl; gun genie only collects a portion of the advertised cost and the receiving ffl collects and pockets the remainder for their time and effort.

now forgive me, but you keep saying 'not required to charge' w/o one shred of a cite, or other objective evidence to substantiate that statement...

ipse

added...dont like the statement made by member, do not pass go immediately to the ignore button ~ nice touch!

btw...respond to his query as it germain to a proper understanding of what is truly got you in a tizzy.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Re-looked .. bottom of pg 15 could be relevant too ... if (for example gunbroker) gunbroker has in its agreement to collect sales tax, then if they only charged you for the transfer ~ you're ahead...not liable for use tax.

Really, its up to you to provide information (ie all information) needed for the assessment you desire.

You maybe right, you maybe wrong about the sales tax. You don't provide enough info IMO.

oldbanger

I asked the FFL:

"are you required to charge sales tax on FFL transfers in Idaho"?

They answered:

"Since its a service it should only be a flat $$$, if it happens again you can mention it at the point of sale and they can make the adjustment.
Odds are they just didnt know not to charge tax".

I'm happy:), are you all?:banghead:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I asked the FFL:

"are you required to charge sales tax on FFL transfers in Idaho"?

They answered:

"Since its a service it should only be a flat $$$, if it happens again you can mention it at the point of sale and they can make the adjustment.
Odds are they just didnt know not to charge tax".

I'm happy:), are you all?:banghead:

Looks like you found one who would not charge it. Penny saved is a penny earned !:D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
IMO, the FFL is "selling" to you.

He/she must log it into their inventory (take possession/ownership) before transferring it to you.

That is not "selling" nor "ownership."

It's a glorified form of the same thing when the UPS truck shows up with something requiring an adult signature for delivery.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

OH NO!!! Please, please no,no, no not that. I am begging you, don't do it. Now I am humiliated, crestfallen, woebegone, disappointed, dejected and dismayed. Now my words will no longer be see by you. That, sir, is a deep and meaningful loss for me, personally. I had so hoped that you and I could become chums. That close relationship is now impossible. What can I do to make you change your mind? I'd do anything to make that happen.
Anything??????????

solus

what are you jumping all about...would you get a life...a FEE is not what you were whining about in your first post regarding a 6% sale tax to process your firearm transfer.

tell ya what, spend 30 minutes dealing, out of the blue, with someone like yourself and see if a fee isn't warranted and just revenue for the FFL's time and patience.

this is a normal occurance and me thinks you are beating the horse now just for fun and to torment the onlookers.

ipse

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Originally Posted by oldbanger
"You may, at your discretion, charge a fee for handling the transfer."

gunbrokerffl.jpg

what are you jumping all about...would you get a life...a FEE is not what you were whining about in your first post regarding a 6% sale tax to process your firearm transfer.

tell ya what, spend 30 minutes dealing, out of the blue, with someone like yourself and see if a fee isn't warranted and just revenue for the FFL's time and patience.

this is a normal occurance and me thinks you are beating the horse now just for fun and to torment the onlookers.

ipse
Isn't it against the rules pointing out someones skulduggery?

Last edited: