Thread: Suffolk police file charges against Del. Rick Morris in connection with assaults

Suffolk police file charges against Del. Rick Morris in connection with assaults

Does this mean he cannot possess a firearm?

Suffolk police file charges against State Del. Rick Morris in connection with assaults of child, family member
    Suffolk police said Morris, 47, has been additionally charged with three felony counts of cruelty and injuries to children, three felony counts of child endangerment, three misdemeanor counts of domestic assault involving a minor and two misdemeanor counts of domestic assault involving an adult female family member.

Morris, a Republican, is an attorney and married with nine children, according to his General Assembly webpage.
    Well, he has nine kids; I wonder how many guns he has?

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Does this mean he cannot possess a firearm?
    Suffolk police file charges against State Del. Rick Morris in connection with assaults of child, family member
    Well, he has nine kids; I wonder how many guns he has?
    uh, last time i checked...Innocent until proven guilty...was the standard judicial mantra...

ipse
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Bing Crosby was a member of the GOP. So what.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    uh, last time i checked...Innocent until proven guilty...was the standard judicial mantra...

ipse
    Domestic violence has different standards.

http://www.livesaymyers.com/domestic...ghts-virginia/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Your rights don't....contrary to what others may believe. Freeman = RKBA A-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

grape, et al., domestic assault is different than domestic violence ~ first one is assault on family member, child, sister/family member living in the home/etc; second (DV) is assault on family intimate, partner/fwb/spouse/etc.

re-reading the article it does not seem like he was initally charged w/DV, no matter what the headline states.

that stated, not sure how or where VA statutes puts that per se... and since he is an attorney, what he will be charged with when the smoke clears.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 09-23-2016 at 05:07 AM. Reason: spellck missed one
    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

GOP Leadership demands his resignation; Morris will not comply

A defiant Morris did not appear in court for his 14-count arraignment:

Del. Rick Morris “knows he is innocent,” will not resign amid felony abuse charges
    State Del. Rick Morris says he did not abuse a woman and child in his home and will not resign from office, according to a statement issued this morning by his attorney.

Morris “adamantly denies these allegations which are nothing more than distortions, misrepresentations, and lies, and he is confident that the truth will be revealed through the legal process,” the statement says.

Suffolk police arrested the 47-year-old Republican last week and charged him with seven felonies and seven misdemeanors, including multiple counts of felony child endangerment, felony cruelty and injuries to children, misdemeanor domestic assault of a minor and domestic assault of an adult female family member.

House Speaker Bill Howell, R-Stafford County, and Republican House leaders have jointly called for Morris to resign in order to protect the integrity of the 100-member House of Delegates, which is under GOP control. John Whitbeck, chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia, on Saturday also called on Morris to resign his legislative seat immediately.
    Gun haters likely will use Morris as Exhibit A for a bill to deprive anyone with a firearm when these kind of charges are pending.