Thread: Sort-of "Pro-OC" Column in the Free Lance-Star (Fredericksburg)

Sort-of "Pro-OC" Column in the Free Lance-Star (Fredericksburg)

Probably just trying to provoke a lot of angry comments... and pump up the ad-click revenue... but for what it's worth... starts off with some just plain wrong premises, but in the end, pretty much advocates for open carry over concealed carry. Is it snowing?

TFred

DONNIE JOHNSTON: Revealed weapon beats concealed weapon

[...]

Years ago, when I would often carry large sums of money, I toted a pistol for protection. But it wasn’t concealed. It was in a fast draw holster right there on my hip. And I could/can get it out with almost Matt Dillon-like speed.

Why did I carry a gun in the open? For the same reason those great Republican presidents like Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan stockpiled nuclear weapons. Growing up during the midst of the Cold War, I learned the meaning of the word “deterrent.” The theory was—and is—that if I show you I’ve got more guns than you, then you won’t bother me. And the bigger the gun, the greater the deterrent.

As I said, if you walk around with a concealed pistol, the bad guys don’t know you have a weapon, so they will likely be more prone to attack or rob you. That’s just inviting trouble.

[...]

... if you walk around with a concealed pistol, the bad guys don’t know you have a weapon, so they will likely be more prone to attack or rob you. ...
    But, but; you'll have the element of surprise!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    But, but; you'll have the element of surprise!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.