• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sort-of "Pro-OC" Column in the Free Lance-Star (Fredericksburg)

TFred

Probably just trying to provoke a lot of angry comments... and pump up the ad-click revenue... but for what it's worth... starts off with some just plain wrong premises, but in the end, pretty much advocates for open carry over concealed carry. Is it snowing?

TFred

DONNIE JOHNSTON: Revealed weapon beats concealed weapon

[...]

Years ago, when I would often carry large sums of money, I toted a pistol for protection. But it wasn’t concealed. It was in a fast draw holster right there on my hip. And I could/can get it out with almost Matt Dillon-like speed.

Why did I carry a gun in the open? For the same reason those great Republican presidents like Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan stockpiled nuclear weapons. Growing up during the midst of the Cold War, I learned the meaning of the word “deterrent.” The theory was—and is—that if I show you I’ve got more guns than you, then you won’t bother me. And the bigger the gun, the greater the deterrent.

As I said, if you walk around with a concealed pistol, the bad guys don’t know you have a weapon, so they will likely be more prone to attack or rob you. That’s just inviting trouble.

[...]

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... if you walk around with a concealed pistol, the bad guys don’t know you have a weapon, so they will likely be more prone to attack or rob you. ...

But, but; you'll have the element of surprise!