• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What To Do When Your Doctor Asks About Your Guns

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If a doctor ever asks me anything about my firearms, I will simply respond by asking him a few VERY personal questions about his wife, and how she performs in bed. After he gets angry and exclaims that that is none of my business, I will just smile and hope that he gets the point.

So have you found a new doctor yet? :lol:

I always test a new doctor/medical office for acceptance and understanding of the RKBA. In most cases, I have been successful.

solus

for my routine visits, i carry the open holster throughout my visit to the medical centers and it prompts quite the positive discussion with doctors, staff, and other patients and i have never been asked by my physician about guns in my household...

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
for my routine visits, i carry the open holster throughout my visit to the medical centers and it prompts quite the positive discussion with doctors, staff, and other patients and i have never been asked by my physician about guns in my household...

ipse

:D Gee, I wonder why?

I had to take a drug test for an employer a few years ago. Being unfamiliar with the process, I holstered up at home and CCd for the various errands I had to run afterward. My goodness, the requirements to take a drug test are stringent. Just shirt, pants, shoes, and belt, nothing in pockets (in case you sneak in a bag of urine from your one non-druggy friend, I guess). The tech and I had quite a discussion about who had access to the key to the locked little cabinet where he was asking me to leave my defensive sidearm, wallet, keys, cell phone, etc. He finally convinced me that he and I were the only people in the clinic (slow Monday morning), and he had the key to the room, while he gave me the key to the little cabinet. But, I have to give him points for his non-reaction to the sight of the defensive side arm when I took off my sport coat.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
^ ^ ^ So did you pass the test? :lol:

Just kidding.

Kudos to both you and the medical technician.

Last edited:

F350

So have you found a new doctor yet? :lol:

I always test a new doctor/medical office for acceptance and understanding of the RKBA. In most cases, I have been successful.

Yea, me too........ Here in God's country I open carry. Just saw a retina surgeon in Longmont, CO (north of Denver). Nothing on the new patient paperwork and nobody said a word (receptionist, tech, nurse & doctor); just another day in paradise.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yea, me too........ Here in God's country I open carry. Just saw a retina surgeon in Longmont, CO (north of Denver). Nothing on the new patient paperwork and nobody said a word (receptionist, tech, nurse & doctor); just another day in paradise.
My optometrist is extremely friendly (not a personal friend), I always OC there, has made me glasses with reading Rx on the bottom and shooting Rx on the top at no extra charge. I ended up not liking them as the main Rx in the center was too narrow/small. He redid the lenses for a very small fee w/o the top Rx and progressives at the bottom.

OTOH - My cardiologist was on my friendly list. ODd there regularly for a number of years and had many good conversations.

Then the doctors who owned the building sold the real estate to the hospital across the street. I presume a business decision recommended by their bean counters as they stayed at the same address as tenants. The hospital has a hard GFZ rule which now extends to this building.

The doctor/surgeon is too good to lose and knows my history too well to make a change at this point, so now I OC an empty holster there. The nurses and rest of the staff all smile - they understand my message. Not my favorite solution, but in this case, it works for me.