• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA cops contribute to illegal arms trade

DeSchaine

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/2...e-agencies-missing-more-than-300-weapons.html

California law doesn't require officers to report lost or stolen weapons, but departments voluntarily report missing guns to a state database.

A more in depth article: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-730005-weapons-guns.html

Southern California police agencies regularly lose track of all manner of firearms, from high-powered rifles and grenade launchers to standard service handguns – weapons that often wind up on the street.
- emphasis mine.

And the law makers are worried about us LAC's???

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... emphasis mine ...

Not to take away from what is obviously a serious problem, in both fact and nonchalance, but in their defense, the media would call a flaregun a "grenade launcher." My assumption is that we are likely talking about 37mm tear gas launchers, for which real explosive "grenades" are very difficult to make/obtain. Not that tear gas launchers should be stolen either, but the media is probably purposely making us picture Hollywood explosions from them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Southern California police agencies regularly lose track of all manner of firearms, from high-powered rifles and grenade launchers to standard service handguns – weapons that often wind up on the street.

I have got to tour southern California. I have never seen any firearm on the street. No rifles, no pistols, and dang sure no grenade launchers. Who are the lucky people who find these things just lying around on the street? Its certainly never been me.