• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpEd in DesNews about Utah Permit popularity

utbagpiper

Banned
The headline is inflammatory and pejorative. But the actual article is written pretty straight up. In the Opinion Section of the Deseret News.

Fair use excerpt:

What makes the Beehive State so appealing to the gun-toting masses both home and away?

The Deseret News caught up with Jason Chapman, the state of Utah’s supervisor of concealed firearm permits, at his office at Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) headquarters to find out.

DN: Thank you for your time today, Jason. What is it about Utah’s laws that attract so much concealed firearm permit business from outside the state?

JC: We don’t ask (why people apply), but probably one reason is the wide-ranging reciprocities. Thirty-six states recognize Utah (permits), so that’s significant if you’re a person who travels a lot....

JustaShooter

JC: We don’t ask (why people apply), but probably one reason is the wide-ranging reciprocities. Thirty-six states recognize Utah (permits), so that’s significant if you’re a person who travels a lot....

Slight clarification, thirty-one states recognize a Utah non-resident permit, same as AZ and FL (two other popular nonresident licenses) which I believe is the most recognition you can get with a non-resident license / permit.

utbagpiper

Banned
Slight clarification, thirty-one states recognize a Utah non-resident permit, same as AZ and FL (two other popular nonresident licenses) which I believe is the most recognition you can get with a non-resident license / permit.

Correct. 31 recognize non-resident Utah. 34 recognize Utah permits held by residents.

The list of which States recognize vary a bit. But the Utah permit is substantially less expensive than is the Florida permit last time I checked. It is also at least modestly less expensive than the Arizona permit due partly to not requiring nearly as many hours of training. Which means the Utah permit is also less of a hassle to get.

Obviously, with the 2nd amendment in the federal constitution, no permit should be needed anywhere the US flag flies. That should be our goal.

I am convinced that shall issue permits that have dramatically increased the number of persons able to legally carry for self defense have helped to shift the debate into our favor compared to where we were in the late 60s, early 70s, and even up through the 80s and early 90s.

Charles