Thread: Not a Endorsement...I just discovered this product...going in the truck

Not a Endorsement...I just discovered this product...going in the truck

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Thanks. Ordered the auto mounting plate and a magnet. Just what I've been looking for. Thanks
    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it. Gee Zeus, get a grip on 'yourself'!

Banned
    Cheap alternative? Take out the magnets from old hard drives .... they are very powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Cheap alternative? Take out the magnets from old hard drives .... they are very powerful.
    What is an "old hard drive?" I have two HDD not installed in my PC, each with a different OS, and the oldest approaching ten years old. This iPad doesn't even use an HDD.

My unused HDD's are about the size of a playing card, how powerful are your magnets?

You know not of what you babble. Go away.
    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it. Gee Zeus, get a grip on 'yourself'!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Although there are quite powerful magnets in hard disks (not SSD Drives), they are not anywhere near large enough for this purpose.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Will these magnets be strong enough to pick up guns from the lake bottom, if I ever locate the site of that tragic boat accident?

Buying many of these will seriously dent my ammo fund.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Just order some Neodymium Rare-earth magnets, fairly large ones. Ya can get them on Amazon or, if ya don't mind gambling, E-bay. Cover in heavy cloth/thinner leather. But not too big or you won't be able to pull the gun off of it! Seriously. The bigger ones are actually dangerous to handle and can take a finger or a hand.

I made some 1" fridge magnets using them an they were strong enough to hold a motorcycle magazine to a fridge door! They were so strong that if you didn't have strong fingernails or something to pry them off the fridge, you had to slide them to the edge of the fridge to get them off!
    Last edited by HeroHog; 09-29-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

I have heard by some that should not let metal parts on a gun get magnetized. Don't know for sure but the claim is tiny metal shavings stick bearing surfaces and may cause premature wear. I do know that drill bits become magnetized when drilling certain steels, I blow it off with air pressure. The slides, and barrels of most semi autos are hardened steel, and I would not want magnetized shavings in a revolver.

I have used hard drive magnets for large knives, and a set probably would hold a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    I never referred to you or anyone else as a shoeshine boy... I simply told you to "go get your shine box'. Not a racial statement whatsoever..-snip-
    -snip- My offer still stands, if you want to do an honest days work, I will send you my antique shine box..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have heard by some that should not let metal parts on a gun get magnetized. Don't know for sure but the claim is tiny metal shavings stick bearing surfaces and may cause premature wear. I do know that drill bits become magnetized when drilling certain steels, I blow it off with air pressure. The slides, and barrels of most semi autos are hardened steel, and I would not want magnetized shavings in a revolver.

I have used hard drive magnets for large knives, and a set probably would hold a gun.
    Then you just build a new one ! Hooray ! Gun building time.

How many times have a said "I wonder what would happen if I modified this on my gun?" and ended up with parts to make a new one. LOL

Always experimenting. My motto: if you have parts you have to incorporate it into a new build.

My next design I am working on is designed to drive lizzurds absolutely bonkers.....I have a few frankensteins that I built just to have for kicks. I've had a few ka-blooies too .... my lanyard is my best friend.

I imagine when I die the new owner will say "What the heck is this? What a POS !" LOL
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 09-30-2016 at 01:56 AM.

I brought up the possibility of magnetization of internal parts but have no data to show it to be probable or it being an issue. I just thought it was in the realm of possibility and should be considered and researched "just in case." I know that it is easy to magnetize some metals if they are attached to magnets over fairly short periods of time and thought it would be wise to look into.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

My gun-magnet came months ago. I was frustrated that I couldn't access the back side of any of the panel locations that I tried. I have what I hope is my last automobile, so "First do no harm" is a principle.

Yesterday was sunny and unseasonably warm so I sat in the X5 and fiddled with my CCW, looking for a secure and discrete location, which I found. It's on the seat foundation under my right knee, and tipped under the seat cushion a bit so it should be concealed even when the seat is unoccupied.

But still I can't access the back of the site for washers and nuts to secure the magnet in place. So today I'll buy a tube of GorillaGlue™ and glue the gun-magnet in place. It will a big bearing surface and ought to be more secure than screwed (self-starting) or nut-and-bolted in place.

We're off on a 2K mile road trip Wednesday, maybe I'll give it an extended test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

My magnetic personality has never interfered with my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Will these magnets be strong enough to pick up guns from the lake bottom, if I ever locate the site of that tragic boat accident?
    Each one is capable of lifting and holding up to 15lbs. I bought a pack of three plus a car mounting plate, and I would say this is a fair assessment of their strength.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    I brought up the possibility of magnetization of internal parts but have no data to show it to be probable or it being an issue. I just thought it was in the realm of possibility and should be considered and researched "just in case." I know that it is easy to magnetize some metals if they are attached to magnets over fairly short periods of time and thought it would be wise to look into.
    Here's the FAQ item on this topic:

WILL MY GUN BECOME MAGNETIC AND PICK UP METAL PARTICLES?

This is a common question. The short answer is that it won't transfer any significant magnetic force. There is some well-spread wives' tale about a police officer walking by an MRI machine and it causing his gun to misfire days later. It always come from "a guy who's friend knows a guy that...". It is simply not true and entirely impossible. If you look on our Facebook page, we have a video where we fire pistols with the magnet still attached. All pistols fired properly with no malfunctions (and that is with the weight of the magnet on the slide!). Should any small magnetic property be transferred to the gun with the magnet removed (which would be less than the force of your average fridge magnet), it would rapidly be dissipated by the heat produced when the gun was fired. With this, neither brass nor lead are ferrous, so bullets are not impacted. However, if you put one of our magnets on your gun, toss it into iron ore rich dirt, kick it around for a while, pick it up, and then proceed to shoot it, it would be possible to have iron particles magnet to the steel parts. If you do a lot of this, our product is not for you. And maybe guns are not for you either…

The concern posed is NOT that the gun will fire from being magnetized, it is the FACT that magnetized metal WILL attract small metal shavings. Any doubt to this is remove the drain plug from your car/motorcycle, and if it is magnetized the shavings will be very clear.

I do not know how much of a problem that could be, maybe not at all. Firearms with very close tolerances like a Kimber could be fatal if the gun will not function. I doubt it would much of a problem with most combat handguns.
    I never referred to you or anyone else as a shoeshine boy... I simply told you to "go get your shine box'. Not a racial statement whatsoever..-snip-
    -snip- My offer still stands, if you want to do an honest days work, I will send you my antique shine box..

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The concern posed is NOT that the gun will fire from being magnetized, it is the FACT that magnetized metal WILL attract small metal shavings. Any doubt to this is remove the drain plug from your car/motorcycle, and if it is magnetized the shavings will be very clear.

I do not know how much of a problem that could be, maybe not at all. Firearms with very close tolerances like a Kimber could be fatal if the gun will not function. I doubt it would much of a problem with most combat handguns.
    Fluer de ferrous - the bain of things metallic with iron as a composite - all things great and small.

I have no tolerance for the inconsistancies in Kimber's guns. Make no mistake, these are not "Custom Shop" guns, but rather standard production.

People either love them or hate them. I don't love them. They are not magnetic to me.

They do a great job of marketing, however.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Fluer de ferrous - the bain of things metallic with iron as a composite - all things great and small.

I have no tolerance for the inconsistancies in Kimber's guns. Make no mistake, these are not "Custom Shop" guns, but rather standard production.

People either love them or hate them. I don't love them. They are not magnetic to me.

They do a great job of marketing, however.
    While they are production, they do have very close tolerances. At least the ones I have examined, with a little valve compound they can be turned into shooters. Should not have to do that with a 1400 dollar gun though. I think part of the problem is while they are tight, they are not polished internals, which would cause some binding.

I am also not a fan of a gun at that price that does not perform out of the box.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    What is an "old hard drive?" I have two HDD not installed in my PC, each with a different OS, and the oldest approaching ten years old. This iPad doesn't even use an HDD.

My unused HDD's are about the size of a playing card, how powerful are your magnets?

You know not of what you babble. Go away.
    You have used words that I can understand !@#... so now I'm confused.

Can you go back to using obscure words that only those with a dictionary or thesaurus would know?

Appreciate it.