• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roanoke attempts to ban OC in certain public places

utbagpiper

Banned
Virginia does have full preemption, but there is a state law prohibiting the carry of certain firearms/magazines in certain cities and counties. It covers magazines holding more than 20 rounds, and centerfire pistols with threaded barrels, among other things. CHP holders are exempt from those restrictions.

What is happening here is that Roanoke passed a resolution to ask the General Assembly to add them to the list of localities covered by that law.

Ok. So same effect, different cause. Thank you for the clarification. And to Grapeshot for his subsequent post making clear that preemption applies to cities, not State executive agencies.

When I think "full preemption," I think cities, counties, school districts, State-run colleges/universities, and all State or local agencies, including employment policies of all such entities. I guess I'm a little spoiled by my States FULL preemption of all gun laws except allowing cities to limit/ban discharge within city limits. Our department of wildlife resources can regulate which weapons can be used for hunting, but cannot limit what firearms a person might carry that he isn't using for hunting.

But, with the growing popularity of suppressors, this is the kind of info that ought to be listed on the Virginia info page of OCDO. I was at the range recently with a friend and he had a couple of handguns with threaded barrels that would make nice carry pieces. No suppressors attached, but threaded barrels. A visiting OCer could find himself in a world of hurt if he brought the wrong handgun with him to OC in Virginia and then carried it into an unmarked off limits city.

Charles

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

But, with the growing popularity of suppressors, this is the kind of info that ought to be listed on the Virginia info page of OCDO. I was at the range recently with a friend and he had a couple of handguns with threaded barrels that would make nice carry pieces. No suppressors attached, but threaded barrels. A visiting OCer could find himself in a world of hurt if he brought the wrong handgun with him to OC in Virginia and then carried it into an unmarked off limits city.

Charles
Unmarked as in no billboard signage to warn the unwary- exactly.

We are expected to know the laws, all of them. Many such laws only truly potentially penalize the honest, good citizen and do little to restrict/control the criminal element.

Suppressors are seldom (never?) used in robberies or any crime. They are for the hearing protection of the shooter and beneficial on a hunting arm. They should IMO be removed as a Class III restricted item and with no fee associated with the purchase or ownership.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will contribute to an escrow account to be awarded at the discretion of our owner-administrators on the documentation of a simple OC snatch or a suppressor used in a robbery.

Maybe not a large contribution but a mustard seed.

Save your shekels - the awards are honorary, to be pinned to the winners' chest like a badge of courage = to the glory that was Greece and the grandeur that was Rome.

utbagpiper

Banned
Unmarked as in no billboard signage to warn the unwary- exactly.

Exactly that.

We are expected to know the laws, all of them. Many such laws only truly potentially penalize the honest, good citizen and do little to restrict/control the criminal element.

Yes we are. And so we look to trusted sources such as OCDO for first pass information, as well as for links to State or federal code to continue our research.

Sites that wish to remain trusted, need to be accurate. At the very least, errors need to be in the direction of suggesting laws are more restrictive than they are, rather than giving any impression they are less restrictive than they are. Nobody goes to jail for not bringing a threaded barrel into Virginia at all. But it appears that using an otherwise perfectly valid carry piece with a threaded barrel in certain Virginia cities sets a guy up for a criminal citation.

OCDO would not be legally liable for such a mistake. But having such errors makes the site much less trustworthy as a credible source of information on laws affecting RKBA generally or OC in particular.

Suppressors are seldom (never?) used in robberies or any crime. They are for the hearing protection of the shooter and beneficial on a hunting arm. They should IMO be removed as a Class III restricted item and with no fee associated with the purchase or ownership.

Fully agreed. The growing popularity of suppressors also means a growing potential for otherwise perfectly law abiding folks to get bit by irrational, unnecessary, out dated State or local laws and ordinances regarding "class III" items. Where such laws exist and could cause problems, it is that much more important to help make law abiding gun owners aware of the laws, so they can remain law abiding.

Charles

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
All in all the greater OCDO community does good work citing the laws and ramifications. Still, each person must be there own judge, decision maker.

Trust but verify. Learn to search and confirm.

Do not abrogate your responsibilities.

utbagpiper

Banned
All in all the greater OCDO community does good work citing the laws and ramifications. Still, each person must be there own judge, decision maker.

Trust but verify. Learn to search and confirm.

Do not abrogate your responsibilities.

All very true. No argument.

Consider this a request to update/correct a now known deficiency in the OCDO Virginia information page.

Ten years participating in this forum, multiple business and personal trips to my favorite Commonwealth, and this thread is the first time I've realized such prohibitions existed in Virginia State law and affect a select number of municipalities. Admittedly, I don't own any suppressors so it isn't something that has been on my radar. But if I understand correctly, the prohibition isn't on suppressors themselves, but is on threaded barrels that can accept a suppressor. I might expect silly prohibitions on "class III items" or even normal capacity magazines. But on a barrel?

That is a subtle enough issue it ought to be highlighted on any site that is providing any kind of summary of Virginia's gun laws.

Charles

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
All very true. No argument.

Consider this a request to update/correct a now known deficiency in the OCDO Virginia information page.

Ten years participating in this forum, multiple business and personal trips to my favorite Commonwealth, and this thread is the first time I've realized such prohibitions existed in Virginia State law and affect a select number of municipalities. Admittedly, I don't own any suppressors so it isn't something that has been on my radar. But if I understand correctly, the prohibition isn't on suppressors themselves, but is on threaded barrels that can accept a suppressor. I might expect silly prohibitions on "class III items" or even normal capacity magazines. But on a barrel?

That is a subtle enough issue it ought to be highlighted on any site that is providing any kind of summary of Virginia's gun laws.

Charles
All laws pertaining to or relating to OC, CC, guns, RKBA are equally important.

Since we have no intention of posting all of the appropriate sections of the Code of Virginian in their entirety, it might behoove you to familiarize yourself with it as well as the Administrative Code + appropriate case law. Then we shall talk some more about what we "ought" to do.