• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dayton public transit (RTA) has a problem with **lawfully carried firearms**

JoeSparky

Centurion
I have yet to playback the audio recording I have, but I seem to recall the CEO saying something about their "position" being related to the safety of their passengers.

<shakes head>

Almost makes one want to do an FIOA (whatever OHIO calls these) request for the numbers of persons ASSAULTED on one of the RTA conveyances or transit stops/property annually for the last 10 years. Cuz it is "for the safety of their passengers"

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Almost makes one want to do an FIOA (whatever OHIO calls these) request for the numbers of persons ASSAULTED on one of the RTA conveyances or transit stops/property annually for the last 10 years. Cuz it is "for the safety of their passengers"
It's called a "records request" or "open records request". Ohio has Sunshine Laws: https://ohioauditor.gov/publications/13SunshineManual.pdf

I don't know what kind of statistics could be obtained, but eventually, if necessary, I'll attempt to find out the number of people charged with criminal trespass. The problem will be categorizing the reasons for the charge.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Multiple prongs---- numbers of assaults (their stated purpose of the weapons prohibition is for "safety") and numbers of persons trespassed.

Carry ON--- in multiple ways!:shocker:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Here are some stories I found about RTA ...
And I'm sure all the participants were pillars of society - like the licensed individuals who were/are mislead and consequently disarmed by RTA's postings.

All the more reason to challenge the RTA's extra-legal doings!

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Kelly May, the Dayton reporter with channels 22 & 45, has told me that her Dayton RTA story will be on this evening at 10 PM on Fox 45, and 11 PM on ABC 22.

Direct links will be posted when available.

Station links: fox45now.com & abc22now.com

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Looks like an accurate description of the facts. Kudos to the reporter. ...
Yes, she covered the different facets quite well and accurately, and because of that her report stands out from the normal "bits & pieces" accuracy of normal gun/gun rights stories. I sent her a note of praise, and in her reply she indicated strong continued interest in the matter.

...It would appear that Dayton RTA is privately providing their own garrote on a very public stage. Predict that this will not go well for them.
LOL. Let's hope!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
It's called a "records request" or "open records request". Ohio has Sunshine Laws: https://ohioauditor.gov/publications/13SunshineManual.pdf

I don't know what kind of statistics could be obtained, but eventually, if necessary, I'll attempt to find out the number of people charged with criminal trespass. The problem will be categorizing the reasons for the charge.

I don't think that much could be gained by learning those statistics. ...
Such a query wouldn't be an attempt to do any statistical analysis, it would be to determine and communicate to RTA the number of people who might well be willing to sue them for a civil rights violation. :cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed that would be an adventure.

Do they still have trollies? Haven't ridden on one of those since many yesterdays ago.

15 or 20 OCers on the same RTA vehicle would rattle their cage, me thinks. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed that would be an adventure.

Do they still have trollies? Haven't ridden on one of those since many yesterdays ago.

15 or 20 OCers on the same RTA vehicle would rattle their cage, me thinks. :lol:

Or 2 or so on each of 10-50 different RTA vehicles SIMULTANEOUSLY!

Either would likely bring some headlines and shine a light into the dark corners. :D

Brian D.

Dayton still runs a few electric buses using the overhead wires. Supposedly they are lower cost to run and maintain, don't know about that. As we see in BB62's most recent threads, and my own observation, transit companies here aren't very trustworthy information-wise.

solus

Dayton still runs a few electric buses using the overhead wires. Supposedly they are lower cost to run and maintain, don't know about that. As we see in BB62's most recent threads, and my own observation, transit companies here aren't very trustworthy information-wise.

the yellow overheads are a landmark and tradition in the gem city...

sigh...

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Response to records requests

Mark Donaghy, CEO of RTA, sent me this note today:

I have been advised that you have inquired about the status of your requests. This week our IT staff has spent 6 hours of time searching/extracting documents in word or email files. Those documents now must be reviewed for content to determine if they should be copied to you and that will happen in the near future. Several management team members including Mr. Napier and I have searched our work files and 2 documents are attached for you that were identified in the process. I hope to have the remainder of your requests completed by staff sometime next week.

If you have further questions please direct them to me or our records custodian via the RTA website. Thank you.

** MY RESPONSE **

Just to ensure that we’re all on the same page:

Mr. Hollingsworth,

You have yet to respond or acknowledge my response and re-request to your objection/excuse for not providing e-mail addresses of RTA’s board members. I would like to know when I’m going to get the requested e-mail addresses.

Just to jog your memory, here is what I sent you at 10:10 AM on October 12:

“…As for item #2, where I asked for "Documentation indicating the names & e-mail addresses of RTA's board members", you replied "The RTA does not have organizational email addresses for its board members. Therefore, no email address information is available within the meaning of Ohio’s Public Records Act."

No doubt there are e-mail addresses to which RTA staff send e-mails when they wish to communicate with RTA Board members regarding RTA matters/business, despite the fact that Board members may not have "organizational email addresses". The same is no doubt true in reverse. I would like documentation indicating the e-mail addresses which RTA staff uses to communicate with each Board member, together with associated person's name.”

Mr. Donaghy,

Thank you for the two documents you attached.

It would be very helpful if you, Mr. Hollingsworth, or your records custodian would acknowledge each records request separately, and respond in a similar manner, because saying “the remainder of your requests” could cause one to be overlooked. For each e-mailed request I’ve made, I’ve used what I consider a descriptive subject for just that reason. Some public entities, in what I view as a helpful manner, reply to each request by copying in the original request, including either an expected completion date, or if it’s a quick turnaround, with the records sought.

Mr. Hollingsworth has requested that in the future I direct records requests to the records custodian (recordsrequest@greaterdaytonrta.org), and I will do so.

However, because of potential legal repercussions relating to RTA’s ongoing “private property” fiction, I will be ccing Mr. Hollingsworth on all future records requests.

My current outstanding (unfilled) records requests are as follows:

1) October 5: “RTA open records request - communications regarding RTA's weapons policies” - 2 categories of records sought, one being the subject of the Oct. 12 e-mail as referenced above to Mr. Hollingsworth

2) October 13: “Dayton RTA - records request regarding "private property" signage” (with pictures attached) – 4 categories of records sought, with the following note included: “Although I’ve only referenced the Wright Transit Stop in the above four requests, if communications/costs/etc. are found to be applicable to, or reference RTA’s similarly posted (as “private property”) transit stops/centers/parking areas/garages, etc, please include them in your response also.”

Cordially,

me

Ahareht

I think I need to take a trip to Dayton and OC on the buses there. I'm sure the RTA would love the press for kicking a physically disabled veteran to the curb as they violate state law. I tend to attract reporters like flies on stink.